IGNORED

Anyone collect 80s and 90s big box pc games?

Megazap

I don't have a big pile of loose stuff either but more than the boxed.  I've been cherry picked mostly local but a few online of games I used to love that DOSBox can play nice with, or someone has done a total hack to so stuff will work on a modern OS.  Since Sierra popped up, last year I picked up a KQ5 release for a dollar, some win 32bit release I didn't know existed and I found patches to make it happy and that was a trip.  The C&C FIrst Decade multi-disc (10 game) release has this huge set of modern installers so those all work like a champ again too.  Even Sim City Classic and 2000 have modified installers you can pick up to get them going (win ports, not the dos ones on gog) which is nice such a community exists.  Various engines have got ports like eduke that is the build engine, obviously doom, quake too.

I got a big box of maniac mansion on pc. I don’t collect that stuff, but it was at a flea market with a bunch of junk so I picked it up for cheap.

Looks pretty complete except missing the disks. I was thinking to keep the NES cart inside but now I’m thinking that’s kind of a dumb idea.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, phart010 said:

I got a big box of maniac mansion on pc. I don’t collect that stuff, but it was at a flea market with a bunch of junk so I picked it up for cheap.

Looks pretty complete except missing the disks. I was thinking to keep the NES cart inside but now I’m thinking that’s kind of a dumb idea.

That's still a hell of a nice find.  If you decide to part with it maybe I could make it complete.  I take it it's the 3.5" disk version of the game?

16 hours ago, Tanooki said:

That's still a hell of a nice find.  If you decide to part with it maybe I could make it complete.  I take it it's the 3.5" disk version of the game?

I wouldn’t mind. I believe it was the 3.5” but not 100% sure. I know it’s not from the CD era, but don’t know if they did 5” floppy versions of maniac Mansion. Do you have a trades list?

21 hours ago, phart010 said:

I wouldn’t mind. I believe it was the 3.5” but not 100% sure. I know it’s not from the CD era, but don’t know if they did 5” floppy versions of maniac Mansion. Do you have a trades list?

Well if you drop into the site sales thing for games and garage sale that's probably 90% of what I have, and it's all fair trade too.  If you have some other tastes, then just ask and I may have something about.  If it were the 3.5" disk game version I do have a USB floppy drive I still mess with so I could install it.

• 3 months later...
On 2/22/2020 at 1:50 PM, BreaKBeatZ said:

I think they display extremely nicely too. Here are two of my shelves:

sXpfEOI.jpg

Wow! What are your favorites? I sold most of my PC games. Problem is I don't have a computer that can play any of them! I have a few big box PC games left for sale or trade if you're interested - just send me a message 🙂 

Our family dos pc was my original game system before nes (I got my nes late, in like 1994). I distinctly remember going to "computer fairs" with my dad as a kid and getting cds full of shareware demos. It was probably such easy money for those guys, but I loved them. 

Monster bash, cosmos cosmic adventure, crystal caves, Duke nukem, commander keen, boppin, math & word rescue, biomenace, hocus pocus, jazz jack rabbit... And a few others tossed in like lion King and various Sierra games. 

I'm really cheap so I don't think I'd ever pay for them in a collection. To be fair, the cds and floppies I had were usually only the first shareware episodes anyway. If I found them at a yardsale I'd grab them of course. 

On the other hand I'd probably give a kidney for a good solid apogee collection remade for consoles and a really nice physical collectors edition for it. 

I love big boxes but they are just that--big boxes.  They also have zero value, mostly, so you're collecting for strictly the art.

Because of that, they are a bit of a lower priority. No, I don't collect to get rich, but since practically everything I own is up for sale or trade at the right offer, I'm not really interested in tacking up so much shelf real estate, except for the few exceptions of games that mean something to me.

Regardless, if I go yard selling or I go to a thrift shop and they have some really nice conditioned, complete long boxes, I'll pick them up if I was ever interested in the game. I have 2-3 copies of all of the Starcraft 2 games and expansions because for some reason I've seen them off and on, a lot. Again, I only pick up the ones in really good shape and they usually go foe $1-2 each so, why not?

But, that's about it for me.  Shelved, I have about 10 long boxed titles.  I'd be happy with more under the right circumstances, but I'm not hunting them.  I just don't have room for 300 really awesome games like this.  I wish I did, but I don't.

I do like that wall of PC gaming amazing stuff there.  I've slowly in the last few years (very slowly) have been picking off some old boxed games I had from back in the 90s.  I really wish I could get Simpsons Arcade but that has been a curse.  In the last couple of weeks I found the old Star Trek TNG Final Unity complete in its oddly shaped box for $5 and then was able to score a cheap copy of Star Trek 25th Anniversary (CD ver with the full cast narrating their parts.)  But there have been other goodies and I've got them either in a closet and a few in a cube in the room within reach.  They're big box already, too big to put on display. 😄  (And depending on which it is, too big of a price which is a shame.)

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 2:22 PM, avatar! said:

Wow! What are your favorites? I sold most of my PC games. Problem is I don't have a computer that can play any of them! I have a few big box PC games left for sale or trade if you're interested - just send me a message 🙂 

Thanks, I'll message you 🙂

My favorites are probably games that aren't pictured here. The entire Elder Scrolls series (including Redguard and Battlespire) factory sealed and VGA graded. Morrowind is the CE and signed by the developers.

Also, my Wizardry collection, which includes a few rare pieces in addition to games 1 through 8.

I have a couple boxes of boxed DOS games from way back when in storage that I bought for $1 a piece when a computer store was closing (which oddly enough I had never been in before - just happened to be there at the right time) - this was before we had even had a computer so I bought ones that looked either interesing or had a lot of contents(I have always been a sucker for extras).

I also have about 8 or so Infocom games with the various feelies.