IGNORED

PS1 Subsets

TDIRunner

Last group for today.  Found some more on my lunch break.

Arcade's Greatest Hits (both Atari and Midway collections)

hmounmiz5ei9tos6g.jpg

Contra

v4aix5zrk836qlp6g.jpg

Driver

yxj03aqvlaydvnt6g.jpg

1/2/3Xtreme (2Xtreme is significant for me because it was the first brand new game I ever bought for myself with my own money)

0ssnvh3wnze9c8d6g.jpg

Jet Moto

kxnwxzm6dxs5lio6g.jpg

Medal of Honor (one of my favorite game series despite the fact that I never really got into the PS1 games)

hu344lzavxw5mdb6g.jpg

Metal Gear Solid (absolute classic)

pbxr97lh5c5psn36g.jpg

Nightmare Creatures (I believe I mentioned elsewhere that I played the demo of the game more than the actual game itself)

npy9uyfmilqvbjj6g.jpg

Suikoden

ezxq0tsyksodcih6g.jpg

Syphon Filter

cm2q7uzq8vdhx5n6g.jpg

Vandal Hearts (the first one is one of my favorite games of all time, but unfortunately, despite two attempts, I cannot get into the sequel.  

3wk4ydvd8olbi6j6g.jpg

• Like 2

Here is another sub set that I cam up with that might be a bit odd.  I call this the Atari subset.  This is all of the PS1 Atari collection games along with the remakes or sequels to old Atari arcade games.  I'm leaving out games that may have been developed or published by Atari if they are unrelated to their original arcade games.  

EDIT:  I didn't realize how poor this picture turned out.  I will try to replace it later.  Of course, I didn't notice how bad the picture was until 5 minutes after putting all of the games back on the shelf. 😛

63ovq4rdpqzsivh6g.jpg

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Here is another sub set that I cam up with that might be a bit odd.  I call this the Atari subset.  This is all of the PS1 Atari collection games along with the remakes or sequels to old Atari arcade games.  I'm leaving out games that may have been developed or published by Atari if they are unrelated to their original arcade games.  

EDIT:  I didn't realize how poor this picture turned out.  I will try to replace it later.  Of course, I didn't notice how bad the picture was until 5 minutes after putting all of the games back on the shelf. 😛

63ovq4rdpqzsivh6g.jpg

These are actually some of my favorite PS1 games. The Tempest remake especially.

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Coming along very nicely.  

Just noticed you’re missing one from your Driver set.

Yep, that one is on my list to get.  Unfortunately, most of the Collector's Editions and Double Packs are somewhat uncommon.  There isn't really much reason to get them outside of collecting as the other versions are typically easier to find if you just want to play them.  

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Here is the "full set" of Twin Packs for the PS1.  There were only two of these offered on the PS1.  Oddly enough, the color scheme is different for each set.  The Sesame Street Twin pack uses the white color scheme that the 3 game Collector's Edition sets used, despite not saying collector's edition anywhere on the box.  The Driver Twin Pack uses the Greatest Hits green color scheme and says Greatest Hits in several areas on the box art.  It's kind of strange how differently these two twin packs were handled.  

I'm hoping to show you a complete set of the Collector's Editions pretty soon.  I'm only 3 sets away from having them all.  

begnTSv.jpg

3tkbkYP.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

And now that I have the Driver Twin Pack, I might as well update my Driver PS1 set.

@Hammerfestus, I finally found one. 

NF9Oqru.jpg

Nice.  Very cool.  

You must  have collected a good chunk of the greatest hits titles doing these sets.  Any thoughts about collecting them all as a set?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Nice.  Very cool.  

You must  have collected a good chunk of the greatest hits titles doing these sets.  Any thoughts about collecting them all as a set?

As far as actual green label Greatest Hits titles go, I have 79 out of 172 releases.  However, I own several black label, long box, or CE versions of games that got a GH release.  So if I wanted to make a subset of PS1 games that got a GH release but using any variant, I would only be missing 25 games.  That might be a goal of mine to complete this year.  

Ultimately, it's my goal to get all of the following:

• All black label jewel cases
  • All Greatest Hits 
  • All Collector's Editions/Twin Packs
  • All long boxes

Within some of those groups, there are some variants, but I'm not interested in going that far.  For example, I own the black label, GH and CE for Tomb Raider II.  However, the GH version of Tomb Raider II has like 3 or 4 variants with different demos available.  I'm not going for all of those.  So I own all of the Tomb Raider II versions I plan to get. 

I have a checklist for everything in case anyone is looking for a list.  

• Total unique PS1 US titles - 1,284
    • Black label jewel cases - 1,242
    • Long box - 102
    • Greatest Hits - 172
    • Collector's Edition - 11 with 3 games each
    • Twin Packs - 2 with 2 games each

And just to clarify, the GH count of 172 does not include the Driver/Driver 2 Twin Pack since I count that separately under the Twin Packs.  But the 172 does include the individual GH releases of Driver and Driver 2.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, spacepup said:

I love see-ing the mini "sets" together like this.  Very cool - keep em coming! 🙂

Thanks.  Lots of other sets are planned, but I'm just missing a game or two.  I'm working on getting a proper list of developer and publisher for each game because I believe that will make up some more interesting sub sets.  However, getting that information accurately is not easy.  The Wikipedia list has numerous errors.  Game-Rave has all of the information, but not in a way that can be easily collected.  I might send send him an email and see if he has it in a spreadsheet or database that he can share.  

This is a sub set that I've been looking forward to completing.  All 11 Collector's Edition 3 packs for the PS1 along with the 2 Twin Packs that I pictured a few weeks ago.  The first CE that I ever bought was the GTA CE which was probably almost 10 years ago.  Over the years I picked up a few others and even pieced 3 of these sets together (the ones that were pieced together have the proper packaging and SLUS numbers.  

tAHyq0i.jpg

rXyGqOg.jpg

• Like 1

And here is one more subset completed this weekend.  

This is every game developed by SingleTrac for the PS1, which also just so happens to be every game developed by SingleTrac except for one game which was only released on PC (Outwars).  If you can't tell from the games pictured here, SingleTrac was very good to the PS1.  

sZFnuc5.jpg

• Like 1

This is another mini sub set that popped into my head the other day.  The "Car Magazine Presents" games.  Both Road & Track and Car and Driver sponsored racing games on the PS1 with Road & Track sponsoring the original Need for Speed and Car and Driver sponsoring Gran Tour Racing '98.  Obviously NFS spawned into a huge racing series, but I don't believe R&T had their name on any sequel.  I'm guessing that GTR98 was meant to start their own series (based on the inclusion of the year), but it never took off enough to justify a sequel.  I actually played GTR98 a ton back when it was new, but the game hasn't aged well and I would rather play NFS today.  

UZardQc.jpg

And also, here is every single NASCAR game released on the PS1 (including the Collector's Edition of '98 and the Legacy Edition of '99 with soundtrack CD).  Lots of games here which isn't surprising considering that NASCAR was pretty huge in the late 90s and 2000s.  NASCAR Thunder 2002 is my all time favorite NASCAR game, but I prefer the PS2 version because of the  full 43 car field.  NASCAR Rumble is an interesting title as it's actually a Mario Kart clone.  It's basically Mario Kart (including items and weapons), but with NASCAR drivers (Mario Kart is much better if you haven't already guessed). NASCAR Racing and NASCAR Heat are the only non-EA NASCAR games on the PS1.  

iHIzWzE.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

And also, here is every single NASCAR game released on the PS1 (including the Collector's Edition of '98 and the Legacy Edition of '99 with soundtrack CD).  Lots of games here which isn't surprising considering that NASCAR was pretty huge in the late 90s and 2000s.  NASCAR Thunder 2002 is my all time favorite NASCAR game, but I prefer the PS2 version because of the  full 43 car field.  NASCAR Rumble is an interesting title as it's actually a Mario Kart clone.  It's basically Mario Kart (including items and weapons), but with NASCAR drivers (Mario Kart is much better if you haven't already guessed). NASCAR Racing and NASCAR Heat are the only non-EA NASCAR games on the PS1.  

iHIzWzE.jpg

thunder 2004 (xbox) is my favorite nascar game. 

they should have come with a 12 pack of mnt dew/budwieser.

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

thunder 2004 (xbox) is my favorite nascar game. 

they should have come with a 12 pack of mnt dew/budwieser.

I enjoyed 2002 because the simulation mode was based around running the race team.  You had to build cars and repair them after races.  Building and repairing took time and resources meaning that you had to mange everything extremely carefully.  If you started to build a new race car on week 10, it might not be ready until week 12 which means you had another race to worry about before the car was done.  You also had to keep sponsors happy or they would back out and you could lose precious earnings.  

The other big thing was that the default settings for each car were crap.  If you used the default settings, you would be lucky to finish in the top 35.  You had to take the time to practice and adjust settings to make your car faster.  I had a notebook for every track with the settings I used (I still have that notebook today).  

It was a very difficult, yet rewarding game to play.  Unfortunately, I would never have the time and energy to put into a game like that today.  

• Like 1