IGNORED

Golf Story-- Started Playing Recently

RH

Certainly not a blockbuster title by any stretch, but I picked it up a while ago and never ended up playing it.  I like it.  It's very much like a classic 2D golf game with a charming story.

Anyone else enjoyed this game?  Has the developer done anything else that's worth playing?

I picked it up on its first sale but I never managed to play it much.
I tried playing it during my Japan trip but I don't think I put more than one hour during the whole trip.
Since then I never played it anymore (my trip was around March of last year).

I liked what I played but the game didn't grab me.
The gameplay was fun so maybe I just have to put more hours into it to fully get the controls.
This was my first golf game ever and so I don't know a lot of the terms.

When i decide to go back to it, I will definitely have to start it over.

Editorials Team · Posted

I played through it a while back (if I remember right, it was the exact copy you're playing now) and I thought it was great. Some of the jokes are obviously aimed at people who are more familiar with golf culture, but overall I liked the lightheartedness of it and the golfing mechanics were very good. For some reason I lost it when they did the gag where you thaw out a frozen girl and then end up re-freezing her shortly after. And I like the lampshading at the very end where someone says something like "this kid just started golfing yesterday and now he's already the best golfer in the world!" I don't usually care if a game has a good story, but I loved this one.

There were a couple of obtuse moments where I couldn't figure out what to do, and I ended up looking up hints just so I could keep progressing. My favorite course was the one where each hole is a par 1 and the holes are really big. If I'm remembering it right.

Ok, all done gushing. Great fun. But be sure you download the updates, there were a few game-breaking bugs that I had to deal with.

12 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Its addicting. Shallow enough that someone who doesnt know golf can have fun, deep enough for someone to play the slice off a 60 deg wedge into the wind if they know what they are doing. Charming RPG elements too. 

Neatly summed up. It's not groundbreaking by any means, but it just nails what it does.

The music is also very good. Chill tunes most of the time, then intense when it needs to be.

• Like 1

I put in a good 5 hours or so.  It's a fun game with some nice golf mechanics.  Something about it just couldn't keep me after a couple courses.  I remember it being an early switch title and it was exciting to see what new stuff was on the eShop.  I probably just got distracted.

I did pick up the limited run release.  Will give it another go one day.

Edited by zeppelin03

12 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

My first hole played ever in it, I chipped in for Eagle, lol

Yeah, if you've played golf games in the past, the mechanics aren't hard.  I can't recall what I did, but in my first head-to-head, I murdered the opponent.  I was/am hoping it gets a bit more difficult.

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, RH said:

Yeah, if you've played golf games in the past, the mechanics aren't hard.  I can't recall what I did, but in my first head-to-head, I murdered the opponent.  I was/am hoping it gets a bit more difficult.

That's really the main flaw of the game, if you're somehow versed in golf mechanics like you said.

There's also a par 6 hole that you can make in 3, and the game has not planned to have Albatross in it and you just get a glitch text IIRC.

1 minute ago, guillavoie said:

That's really the main flaw of the game, if you're somehow versed in golf mechanics like you said.

There's also a par 6 hole that you can make in 3, and the game has not planned to have Albatross in it and you just get a glitch text IIRC.

That's just... bad design.  If you have a golf game, assume for any hole someone's going to get a hole-in-one.  Nerds might find a way to one-shot it in ways you never expected or, alternatively, you could design every hole so that under super-hard/near-impossible conditions, every hole can be one-shot.  THAT is good game design for a game like this, because people always want to have the ability to post that one-in-a-million shot.

I'm still going to enjoy it though.  Now I have a reason to try to 3 or less a par 6 when I get to it.

On 10/22/2019 at 4:54 PM, Splain said:

I played through it a while back (if I remember right, it was the exact copy you're playing now) and I thought it was great. 

I just saw that.  Lol, it could have been a trade between us, which is fun to see.  I know I got my copy from an NA trade. (Sorry, I'm to lazy to go back and check.)

Editorials Team · Posted

The very last tournament took me a couple tries if I remember right. But no, the game never truly hits a hard-as-nails point. Some of the fringe side quests are a little tricky though.

I remember I hit a rock on a course somewhere, and the ball bounced clear off the screen, into limbo and never landed. After a couple minutes of unresponsiveness, I finally restarted the game and had to restart that course. It was at least a bit amusing.

Also, when you get to a place in the game where you can play Galf, you should know that you don't have to achieve a certain score in that game, it doesn't unlock anything or make any difference at all. It seems like there's something hidden there, but there's not. Galf itself is the unlockable. I was relieved to learn that.

57 minutes ago, RH said:

I just saw that.  Lol, it could have been a trade between us, which is fun to see.  I know I got my copy from an NA trade. (Sorry, I'm to lazy to go back and check.)

I'm pretty sure it was. I think I gave you Golf Story, possibly Tropical Freeze and/or Mario + Rabbids and some other stuff, for some Game Boy games and variants. Helped complete my set!