IGNORED

Post your Holy Grail Item!

Jason

Not entirely a one of a kind item mind you but I moved to the US when I just turned 14 back in 2008 with not a lot to remind me of home. I wasn't able to bring much with me but I was able to bring this along and its stayed by me through everything. Still works too! I definitely have other rarer/more expensive items in my collection but this one is my "holy grail" cause of sentimentalityimage.jpeg.b6e7bc5c201330a7906dd69c49ba03b2.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Graphics Team · Posted
On 7/10/2022 at 9:32 PM, GrgakGames said:

Not entirely a one of a kind item mind you but I moved to the US when I just turned 14 back in 2008 with not a lot to remind me of home. I wasn't able to bring much with me but I was able to bring this along and its stayed by me through everything. Still works too! I definitely have other rarer/more expensive items in my collection but this one is my "holy grail" cause of sentimentalityimage.jpeg.b6e7bc5c201330a7906dd69c49ba03b2.jpeg

Neat - the "Dendy" was popular in Germany, right? For some reason, I've always thought that was a great name for a Famiclone haha.

-CasualCart

• 4 weeks later...

I have absolutely nothing that I would consider to be a grail anymore. But I have some odds and ends that I am happy to have in my collection:

grail2.jpg.c2154611723513724301a147e5233fc7.jpg

PS2 Nickelodeon edition. I guess I would say this is the highlight of my current collection. This one took me a long time to find in good condition. Was very happy it ended up being complete (and I still have no place to display it).

Edited by dr.robbie
  • Like 7

• 2 months later...
On 8/10/2022 at 9:04 PM, dr.robbie said:

I have absolutely nothing that I would consider to be a grail anymore. But I have some odds and ends that I am happy to have in my collection:

grail2.jpg.c2154611723513724301a147e5233fc7.jpg

PS2 Nickelodeon edition. I guess I would say this is the highlight of my current collection. This one took me a long time to find in good condition. Was very happy it ended up being complete (and I still have no place to display it).

Nice! Is there a story behind this?

On 7/10/2022 at 11:32 PM, GrgakGames said:

🔥 my wife grew up in Bytom Poland and we still have her childhood Fami-clone. The Pegasus was the most common clone in Poland but her’s is called something like Enderman 2000. Definitely not something that is special in our collection (even if I can’t remember the name off the top of my head 😅)

• Sad 1

• 4 months later...

I don't do literal holy grails anymore. Not only is there no Castle Anthrax, two of my past attempts became financial fiascos. With one giving me a (different) forum-based omen that I wasted money in the long run. 😅

So thinking about it, I have chosen to post an honorary "Holy Grail" to post here. Which is (edited) this...

Tenten-1A.thumb.jpg.7421433ae99537287677bdeea588ae42.jpgTenten-1B.thumb.jpg.69e94b34e5f9b796e25ebe0358d11ddc.jpg

Here is what you guys need to know:

1. It is a Kayou (Chinese CCG company) card, but the series is licensed by Pierrot (via their Mainland China branch).
  2. It was graded by a UK card grading company called Get Graded.
  3. This particular card has helped convince me to hunt down rare non-Japanese game variants that have caught my interest.

In all cases it gets the honorary "Holy Grail" title because (also edited) it is also tied to a goal I had since 2010. And now think having it I can correctly do that goal.

Something that is the top reason why I joined VGS, and the part of the community I hope to be part of once I get my games graded. Starting with the one I get thanks to this graded beauty.

Edited by FenrirZero
"I... I'm the ghost of the VGS clan! I am FenrirZero-dara!"
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

My holy grails are two signed games, one is actually from NintendoAge back in the day when Robin Mihara was selling 25th Anniversary NWC homebrew carts, he auctioned off 10 that came with a signed letter from Thor and I was  lucky enough to win one of them.

The other one is truly one of a kind though and I felt incredibly lucky to get it. I was browsing auctions on Buyee one day and noticed a signed Famicom Metal Storm and upon looking closer I realized it was a signed copy of the game that Arino of Game Center CX fame played on the show! If you're not familiar with the show Arino plays old video games and tries to beat them, and at the end the show does a drawing of some sort for whatever game he played in that episode. I pulled up the episode and looked closely just to make sure it was legit and it looked like it! So I quickly purchased it but then drama occurred and the seller cancelled the transaction! This isn't uncommon when buying things from Japan as some sellers do not want items like this leaving Japan. I had a friend that lived in Japan luckily that was willing to purchase, receive the game, and then mail it to me. The seller relisted it (and at a slightly cheaper price!) and I managed to get him to grab it. A short time later it arrived safely at my house. Never thought I'd own something from one of my favorite shows so this is probably the truest holy grail of my collection.

PXL_20230112_003733837.jpg

PXL_20230112_003458558.jpg

PXL_20230112_003452755.jpg

PXL_20230112_003250176.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beneath Apple Manor.

For the non-PC collectors here (which I think is the majority of members) this is the first ever commercially released RPG. Released in 1978 by Don Worth, it is also the first ever Roguelike, predating Rogue by 2 years.

image.jpeg.c550fde896fce706769bf29a43e7d964.jpeg

Edited by BreaKBeatZ
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 3

1 hour ago, BreaKBeatZ said:

Beneath Apple Manor.

For the non-PC collectors here (which I think is the majority of members) this is the first ever commercially released RPG. Released in 1798 by Don Worth, it is also the first ever Roguelike, predating Rogue by 2 years.

image.jpeg.c550fde896fce706769bf29a43e7d964.jpeg

Whoa, where are you getting this stuff. Get me one. 

16 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Whoa, where are you getting this stuff. Get me one. 

I would estimate they turn up once every 5 years or so. I think it is rarer than Akalabeth, Mystery House, and the other grail PC games.

I have a few other games from 1978 and 1979 and other "first in genre" games if people are interested in seeing them 🙂