IGNORED

I Finally Did It! ... 23 years Later... I Beat Zelda for the 1st Time!

Lambda

8 minutes ago, Estil said:

As for the famous swordless challenge, it's not possible to beat Ganon without at least a wooden sword.  So what do you guys think is harder, a wooden sword (no white/master sword allowed) quest or a green tunic (no blue/red ring) quest?

Green tunic is harder than wooden sword.

I have done swordless, where you reach Ganon, die, get wooden sword, beat him.

That was easier, to me, than being without the armor upgrade.

At least for Ganon himself, where you get struck by an invisible guy that takes 4 hearts per hit in the Green tunic.

Because for other bosses there are stronger options than the sword (bombs or arrows), or at worst an equivalent to the white sword (in using the magic wand as a club to kill Gleeoks)

A strict minimalist run is obviously hardest of all (wooden sword, no armor, NO WAND) because now you are killing 4 headed Gleeoks with the lowest damage output that can kill them.

And you can dial the difficulty of that challenge by how few hearts you can obtain. (I have made it to Ganon on 3 hearts, no armor, but one hit kills you outright)

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Wow! 1

Since I never had an NES I didn't play them until 2003 when they came out on the Gamecube.   I don't remember using a guide for them but it was a while ago.  (The same cannot be said for Link to the Past....)

@OP - If you haven't tried it you would probably like Golden Axe Warrior for the Sega Master System - it is probably the closest to the originals of all the many clones.  It has a much bigger world than either of those.  If you can't play the original cart (and it is kinda pricey these days) it was released on a few different compilations for later systems.   

• Like 1

Beat both quests back in the day, no help.  I still have my maps of both quests and all the dungeons, painstakingly drawn out on graph paper.  The Second Quest was the real beast due to new game mechanics (walk through walls and whistle triggered doors), but I eventually sorted it all out somehow.  Lots of free time and a real love of the game, I guess.  I can now speed run the first quest without much trouble (usually zero death), but the second quest is still a real monster, even with the maps and stuff.

Even so, LoZ will always be one of my all time favorite games.

• Like 1

Cleared the first quest as a kid with some schoolyard advice at some points, I remember a few instances:

• To beat level 5 boss you must use the recorder.
  • I was told where to get the magic sword.
  • To pass though the lost woods my mother translated to me the advice from the old lady using an English to Spanish dictionary.
  • Access to level 7 you need to play the recorder in the empty fairy pond.
  • To pass level 7 room with the enemy saying grumble grumble you must give him the meat.
  • I'm sure a friend showed me where you can get the blue ring.

I figured a lot on my own as I was always bombing suspect locations and burning down trees, particularly the entrances to level 8 and 9, and of course I passed on my discoveries to other kids at school, playing Zelda was kind of a collaborative effort back then 😁

Edited by Abelardo
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 10:21 AM, Tabonga said:

Since I never had an NES I didn't play them until 2003 when they came out on the Gamecube.   I don't remember using a guide for them but it was a while ago.  (The same cannot be said for Link to the Past....)

@OP - If you haven't tried it you would probably like Golden Axe Warrior for the Sega Master System - it is probably the closest to the originals of all the many clones.  It has a much bigger world than either of those.  If you can't play the original cart (and it is kinda pricey these days) it was released on a few different compilations for later systems.   

That’s awesome! I’ve actually seen the game on the shelf at the local retro shop, but it didn’t last long. I’ll have to give them a call and see if I can get my hands on it one way or another. I’ve heard great things but I never gave it a shot yet. Definitely going to give it a play on this recommendation! Thanks!

On 2/17/2020 at 12:09 PM, Abelardo said:

I figured a lot on my own as I was always bombing suspect locations and burning down trees, particularly the entrances to level 8 and 9, and of course I passed on my discoveries to other kids at school, playing Zelda was kind of a collaborative effort back then 😁

Definitely a collaborative effort back in the day!! Those schoolyard advice sessions at recess were like the prehistoric predecessor to the forums and guides of the internet today haha. Great memories there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lambda said:

That’s awesome! I’ve actually seen the game on the shelf at the local retro shop, but it didn’t last long. I’ll have to give them a call and see if I can get my hands on it one way or another. I’ve heard great things but I never gave it a shot yet. Definitely going to give it a play on this recommendation! Thanks!

In case you didn't see this - in the third post on this page I show a map I made for Golden Axe Warrior:

Not that I like to brag about it or anything - but I am pretty proud of it.  *blushes*

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 9:01 PM, Lambda said:

Who has done this game to completion with zero help?

Who has used guide for the whole way?

For partial guides, how much did you need and what were the worst parts? (Darknuts were the worst for me in Dungeon 8).

My first time playing it through to the end I ended up using a guide.

I didn't go back to this game to beat it properly until I was a Teenager in Middle/High School. And I went back to it after playing Link to the Past and really enjoying it.

I've never done the second quest through to completion though lol

• Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 12:46 AM, guillavoie said:

You really should consider beating the second quest too, I don't mean right now but definitely at some point when you revisit the game. There's a few very brilliant twists in it that really enhance the whole experience of the game. In itself it is genius, thinking in 1986 to offer a complete harder variation of the game was such a bold move. Just the first quest would have make it an instant classic, with the second quest it was clear the game was already video game masterpiece material.

I finally finished the second quest after putting it off for years. It's definitely worth a try after finishing the first one. I don't know how anyone finished the game 33 years ago without a guide. It's tough!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I finally finished the second quest after putting it off for years. It's definitely worth a try after finishing the first one. I don't know how anyone finished the game 33 years ago without a guide. It's tough!

Meticulous note taking and exploration...

I remember when my dad and I beat the 2nd quest and immediately started a new game after the credit roll hoping for a THIRD quest! 😛

• Like 3

Events Team · Posted
12 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

I remember when my dad and I beat the 2nd quest and immediately started a new game after the credit roll hoping for a THIRD quest! 😛

You know there's a third and fourth quests? Not on the NES cart, but via the Super Famicom Satellaview system/service, a 3rd quest and 4th quest were available through broadcast gaming. We can't play it like it was done back then, but there's a bunch of alternatives available through modified roms (see links).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

You know there's a third and fourth quests? Not on the NES cart, but via the Super Famicom Satellaview system/service, a 3rd quest and 4th quest were available through broadcast gaming. We can't play it like it was done back then, but there's a bunch of alternatives available through modified roms (see links).

One of these days I'll get around to getting BS Zelda to actually play properly.  Back when I first heard of it/downloaded it, the state-of-the-art for getting it to run properly was pretty poor, and I never revisited it.

That said, Outlands will always be my "third quest" and "fourth quest" 😛

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 10:45 AM, Bearcat-Doug said:

Yeah I'm gonna have to man up and give that a shot too.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 12:19 PM, arch_8ngel said:

I can remember my dad sitting Indian style on the floor in my room, squinting his eyes with a cigarette in his mouth while playing. Those were the days... I remember it was a big deal to find a hidden entrance to a dungeon. I forget which level it was that you had to burn a bush to get in and the boss was the crab/spider, maybe level 7?. Finding that was a major accomplishment. Then I got the Nintendo power issue with zelda 2 on the cover that had the pullout map for zelda 1, with all the hidden locations of the stuff. It was mind blowing. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BriGuy82 said:

. I forget which level it was that you had to burn a bush to get in and the boss was the crab/spider, maybe level 7?. 

Level 8 was a burned bush.

Had multiple mini-bosses (manhandla a couple of rooms over from the entrance, a ghoma - the crab - mid-level, and a 4-headed Gleeok as the boss).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gentlegamer said:

You didn't really beat it unless you burned every tree in the game.

I thought as long as you collected all the items and got the Heart Containers you did beat it?  Of course later Zeldas would be a bit more complicated in that regard...though maxing out your Heart/Life Meter is one of the main goals.