IGNORED

What's for dinner, what did you cook?

fcgamer

15 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I might use that recipe later as a base for something.

Whoa. I’ll be interested to see what you would add to a dish with 18 ingredients already.

I used double or more what the recipe calls for of both tomato and tomato paste, btw. Recommended.

Edited by Link
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

It looks beautiful lol, gotta have a little meat tho. 😉  but to each his own 😉 

We use a ground beef substitute for chili, pasta sauces, taco bowls, and such. Morning Star, Gardein, and Boca, all make good ones. Top it with non-dairy sour cream, vegan cheddar cheese, and some fresh green onion, and this has pleased my family many times over. I didn't tell them it was vegan the first couple times I made it and they licked their bowls clean, none the wiser. 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Aguy said:

We use a ground beef substitute for chili, pasta sauces, taco bowls, and such. Morning Star, Gardein, and Boca, all make good ones. Top it with non-dairy sour cream, vegan cheddar cheese, and some fresh green onion, and this has pleased my family many times over. I didn't tell them it was vegan the first couple times I made it and they licked their bowls clean, none the wiser. 

Definitely not digging the green on top (I hate onions of all kinds), but I wouldn't mind the vegan bit I think. Since moving to Taiwan, I've learned to adjust my palate quite a bit.

Quorn makes a great ground beef substitute. All their products are mycoprotein (fungus). It’s loose crumbles, so you can’t make a burger out of it, but for tacos or spaghetti sauce? It’s spot on. It helps of course that those are heavily seasoned uses and that’s where most of the flavor comes from. The texture is just right. Speaking as someone who dislikes most fake meat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Link said:

Quorn makes a great ground beef substitute. All their products are mycoprotein (fungus). It’s loose crumbles, so you can’t make a burger out of it, but for tacos or spaghetti sauce? It’s spot on. It helps of course that those are heavily seasoned uses and that’s where most of the flavor comes from. The texture is just right. Speaking as someone who dislikes most fake meat.

Exactly right. Unfortunately a lot of Quorn products, including the crumbles, have egg whites in them, so they aren't vegan.

1 hour ago, Aguy said:

Exactly right. Unfortunately a lot of Quorn products, including the crumbles, have egg whites in them, so they aren't vegan.

Oh man, haha. My girlfriend dislikes most meat. Like it seriously grosses her out. It’s rough for her because she’s allergic to legumes including soy, so most meat subs are no good. Quorn is a godsend for her.

Anyway I was just saying for @Jeevan, it’s not so funny. 

Edited by Link

Events Helper · Posted
5 minutes ago, Link said:

Oh man, haha. My girlfriend dislikes most meat. Like it seriously grosses her out. It’s rough for her because she’s allergic to legumes including soy, so most meat subs are no good. Quorn is a godsend for her.

No disrespect meant 😉  I just prefer good ole' flesh in the chili.  Sorry to hear it grosses her out.  Hopefully she gets enough protein elsewhere and a way to keep her iron up 🙂  

• Like 1

Here's a few pictures I took tonight of my kitchen. I also have a microwave and a toaster oven. As you can see, quarters are tight, and very limited tools. Between that and the limited amount of western ingredients available in Taiwan, it's always quite fun, yet a challenge, when I head to the kitchen to cook. 🙂

IMG20200429223725.jpg

IMG20200429223740.jpg

• Like 2

Did home-made meatball bahn mi with fresh bread last night.  Worked out well.

Planning to modify what has become a weekly pretzel bake, on Saturdays, to be brats done as pretzel-dogs this week.

Really getting the hang of prepping bread dough with the Kitchen Aid.

EDIT:  just finished off the quick-pickled fixings for the bahn mi as a chicken-based salad at lunch with ginger dressing and wontons for croutons.  Worked well enough that I'd do it again.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

Here's a few pictures I took tonight of my kitchen. I also have a microwave and a toaster oven. As you can see, quarters are tight, and very limited tools. Between that and the limited amount of western ingredients available in Taiwan, it's always quite fun, yet a challenge, when I head to the kitchen to cook. 🙂

IMG20200429223740.jpg

I think your sous chef needs a hair net. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Link said:

Have you guys tried seitan/mock duck? It's easy enough to work with and cook.

33 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Have you guys tried seitan/mock duck? It's easy enough to work with and cook.

She likes it. Used to eat it a lot years and years ago. Here, it’s not the easiest to find. Like she knows where to get it but it’s a special trip. And sometimes it’s seasoned with soy. But mainly she just likes the mycoprotein stuff better. Having grown up with many allergies she doesn’t care about being vegan herself. She still gets a flare-up from time to time. A lot of of them have receded, but it was a long list when she was a kid — any dairy, peanuts, I forget what else. 

I don’t like it much. It’s ok in some contexts when dressed up but I find it a little rubbery, iirc.

15 minutes ago, Link said:

She likes it. Used to eat it a lot years and years ago. Here, it’s not the easiest to find. Like she knows where to get it but it’s a special trip. And sometimes it’s seasoned with soy. But mainly she just likes the mycoprotein stuff better. Having grown up with many allergies she doesn’t care about being vegan herself. She still gets a flare-up from time to time. A lot of of them have receded, but it was a long list when she was a kid — any dairy, peanuts, I forget what else. 

I don’t like it much. It’s ok in some contexts when dressed up but I find it a little rubbery, iirc.

Fair enough. Im not a huge fan myself.  I only really eat it when it's in a stir fry of some sort. But with a soy allergy, that's unlikely happening. 

I have to imagine that quinoa must be your best friend.