IGNORED

What's for dinner, what did you cook?

fcgamer

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

EDIT:  also, a full-blown stand mixer (like a Kitchen-Aid) is an incredible tool.  Probably the only "kitchen gadget" genuinely worth owning.

Mrs. Tabonga has a great deal of lust for some of the many colors those are available in (she has a red one).

Whipped this up for dinner in my tiny kitchen. I may have to sometime post what I have to work with, not even including that there are so many ingredients common in the west, which are tricky to find here in Taiwan.

For example, I've never seen hamburger rolls before, despite living in the second largest city on the island, but they (well a single pack of three) magically appeared today the supermarket.

IMG_20200407_193600_519.jpg

• Like 2

Tonight cranked out some Taiwanese-style chili, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

What do I mean by Taiwanese-style chili? This sort of dish the locals don't generally eat, and anytime you try to cook western food here, it's always a bit difficult to find all the ingredients you'd normally use, thus one often must stop at a variety of supermarkets and be prepared to make a few substitutions.

This version of chili tastes quite good imo, and I've perfected it using ingredients that one generally find here locally. It'll thicken up even more by tomorrow, and then it'll be amazing 🙂

IMG_20200413_203608.jpg

IMG_20200413_203739_837.jpg

• Like 4

Tonight I made some fusion cuisine, likely to upset everyone, though it did taste good, at least I thought so!

Potsticker perogies filled with mash, garlic, and cheese. I wish I'd have stuffed these fuller, but it was my first time stuffing dumplings.

Also some Taiwanese-style kapusta, it that's even such a thing. 

Ready to feel the flames from all sides 😄 I did have fun making this though.

IMG20200427202159.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I found a small chunk of steak tenderloin in the reduced meat section of the grocery store a while back - so I think we are having tenderloin tips over rice with an egg or two and a veggie of some sort.

That sounds delicious! 

1 minute ago, fcgamer said:

That sounds delicious! 

It should be (from past experience) - the only way to really make them is rare though.

About the only time we get tenderloin is when it is on sale* since it is pricey.

*(We call the reduced meat "used meat" after a rather unique type of store found in the late 1800s.)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Link said:

I’m not good at food photography, sorry. But I just tried this stew recipe for a week’s worth of work lunches and I love it. I skipped the banana garnish though. That’s a bit much for me. 

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/somali-beef-stew-with-spiced-rice-bariis-maraq

That looks great, definitely something I've never had before. I might use that recipe later as a base for something.