IGNORED

What's for dinner, what did you cook?

fcgamer

IMG_20190418_190937_423.thumb.jpg.e36c147c5e9ffe997584ea63a91bcb79.jpgIMG_20190418_211003_226.thumb.jpg.44724a7b7b3dff1f7c99e4aeebc6c79b.jpg

Last year I foraged some delicious wild ramps and went ramp crazy. Pickeled a couple pounds or so and made lovely pesto with the leaves. The last pic is the pesto on everything and topped with sliced. Ramps are like wild onions and the leaves are garlicy.

I may have to brave the wild this year again, just thinking about how good they are haha.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

2 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

@drxandy : I hate onions, always did as a child. Your food pics look good, aside from that fact 😉 Always liked garlic though, how's the taste on the ramps?

My mom and my sister hate onions -- they call it "being allergic", but they don't break out or anything, just that one of the chemicals in a non-caramelized onion turns their stomach.

They can both do fine with onion powder, and fully caramelized onions, though, so whatever the chemical is that they take issue with breaks down with enough heat exposure.

Glad I didn't inherit the issue, since there are so many recipes that are just easier to do with onion than without. 

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

@arch_8ngel : onion powder I'm fine with, I used to think my hatred was due to a texture issue, rather than a taste issue; however a few years ago, I stopped by a local winery and tried a free sample of onion wine, and it was the most horrible thing I ever drank

That sounds horrendous.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fcgamer said:

@drxandy : I hate onions, always did as a child. Your food pics look good, aside from that fact 😉 Always liked garlic though, how's the taste on the ramps?

They're umm like a spring onion - the bulb part is more like the bulb of a green onion, and the fiberous leaves are good braised or blended up raw as pesto (pine nuts, parmesan, olive oil) they're fantastic. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Planning to use the oft ignored stand mixer today for Alton Brown's pretzel recipe.  Going to have them with bratwurst and sauerkraut for supper.

Mrs. Tabonga has a Kitchen Aid which she dearly loves.   Over the years we have accumulated just about every attachment for the power head they make.   She made homemade pasta with it the other day - which is great to be able to do  since pasta seems to be about as hard to find as a unicorn these days.

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

Mrs. Tabonga has a Kitchen Aid which she dearly loves.   Over the years we have accumulated just about every attachment for the power head they make.   She made homemade pasta with it the other day - which is great to be able to do  since pasta seems to be about as hard to find as a unicorn these days.

Might give that a try next weekend.  We have a bunch of attachments we have never used in the 16 years we have owned it...

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Any chance there's a recipe for this bread? It looks very fluffy 😍

Yeah, it's right here:

https://www.itsalwaysautumn.com/homemade-artisan-bread-easiest-bread-recipe-ever.html

I'm making some more today, I'll have it for lunch probably after I'm done cycling.

Because I only have a small toaster oven to work with, it didn't get as browned as id have liked, the last time I made it, but it was still delicious and quite easy to make

• Thanks 1

Well Alton Brown's pretzel recipe works really well.  My only recommendation would be to do the baking-soda boil for longer than 30 seconds to get a better bubbly pretzel crust and to probably use more butter than he calls for (or baste them in butter once they are done).

Otherwise, excellent.

EDIT:  also, a full-blown stand mixer (like a Kitchen-Aid) is an incredible tool.  Probably the only "kitchen gadget" genuinely worth owning.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 1