IGNORED

What are you drinking?

Reed Rothchild

On 8/13/2021 at 11:36 AM, Richardhead said:

I’m very curious how a Taiwanese Cab drinks.

Looks like I misspoke, as the one I had at home was a mix of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot grapes. I could have sworn I saw one that was exclusively Cabernet Sauvignon, I'll check next time I'm at the supermarket, maybe I didn't grab it as it was more pricey.

I drank this one last night, while gaming. Honestly, I thought it was great! 

IIRC, the price was quite cheap (maybe about $9-15 USD) per bottle, but this tasted so much better than some of the cheap South African wines that I've had over the years, and it fell in line with comparably-priced bottles from South America, California, and Spain.

This is honestly a huge step up for TTL, Taiwan Tobacco and Liquor (the government-owned company), compared to their original line-up of sweet wines that I found to be barely drinkable. Over the past ten years I think there's been a shifting attitude in the newer generation of Taiwanense, who desire better quality products similar to what they experienced abroad.

Gonna see if I can find the pure Cabernet Sauvignon bottle and try that next week, hopefully. 

IMG20210814135214.jpg

IMG20210814135208.jpg

• Like 3

I'll definitely keep buying the wine above, as I prefer to buy local when I can. 

I don't drink wine too often, as most of my friends here much prefer beer, or well tea actually, though I'd love to host a wine tasting sometime.

I used to work at a local winery in the States, which was a direct influence causing me to get involved in homebrewing fermented beverages as well.

As my father prefers wine to beer, I had the fortune of trying a whole variety of different wines over the ages, from different price ranges too. This led me to take the belief if searching for a quality product amongst various tiers, and that's where I'd place the wine in my post above. 🙂

Social Team · Posted
On 7/2/2021 at 7:42 PM, JamesRobot said:

Holy shit!

KQgwybq.jpg

That must be where they are storing their grains for use while the on-site storage is not available???  I love how they didn't cheapen out on the wrap.  Tell me this is the exact same look as their cans or tall boys.  I mean it's like a free advertising board.  Now if they could turn the rest of the silos into a six pack look.....

Drinking a wine made by the local Taiwan Tobacco and Liquor company.

This one was made at the plant in Nantou, a sketchy little city towards the centre of the island. Road through there many times at night while cycling, always has a dodgy AF vibe to it.

I'm not usually one for white wine, but I saw this and decided to try it instead of the TTL Cabernet Sauvignon, as I think I had their Cabernet Sauvignon offering before, and tapping out at 8% alcohol, it was waaay too sweet for the style imo. I'll likely revisit it again at a later point.

For this TTL white wine, I guess it's a mixed blend or something. 

To be fair, this feels incredibly good considering the 10% alcohol content, I could drink it like water. It's not too sweet, though I wouldn't consider it as being dry either. This would be a date night wine imo, to share with someone who is a more casual drinker. Not my top choice, but it's enjoyable.

The only issue I see is that there really isn't a lot of extra flavours in this one, once it's down the hatch, that's that. No hints of citrus or fruit, etc.

Still, for $7.17 a bottle, and locally made, I think it's worth drinking. 🙂

IMG20210828183051.jpg

IMG20210828183124.jpg

IMG20210828183136.jpg

• Like 3

Some recent beers I've had with opinions:

1. From Yorkshire, I found this to be excellent. Not too bitter, a bit fruity, tasted on par with American craft beer. Is likely newish, my buddy used to live ten minutes from that location but he's not familiar with it.

2. From Oslo. It's much better than what I expected, having come from Norway, quite a nice craft-style pilsner imo

3. Einstock from Iceland. This one had berries, it was quite disappointing. I likely won't try this particular flavour again, unless I accidentally get it.

4. Coffee ale from Korea. Excellent, highly recommended. I'm not usually a coffee beer type guy, but this one the coffee flavour was subtle, it drank extremely well and seems to be of high quality.

5. Kozel dark from Czech. My friend actually said he quite likes this one, I thought it was very disappointing. Easily my least favourite so far, from the beers I've had this weekend. I even preferred the Icelandic Einstock to this.

6. King Goblin imperial Ruby beer. Going for this one now. It's excellent too, imo. My UK friend I think doesn't see the appeal of it, but I love this style and there's not a ton of them available here in Taiwan, so even if this is a "lower tier" beer, I personally wouldn't know it. I'll definitely be getting this again.

IMG20210903211922.jpg

IMG20210903221118.jpg

IMG20210903233938.jpg

IMG20210904122734.jpg

IMG20210904134422.jpg

IMG20210904155329.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1