IGNORED

What Else Do You Collect Besides Video Games?

Tabonga

• 5 weeks later...

I gave into temptation and got one of these. They were supposed to make 200 of them but wound up with only 150.  It is a very nice set and should appreciate in value pretty quickly.

I have a few of the plastic versions which have been around for awhile - those are pretty nice also but nowhere near the quality of the metal ones.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PII said:

The Bishops have really nice proportions.  In a lot of sets, I think, they are much too tall.

bishops.png

All of the pieces in the plastic sets are really nice to pick up since being somewhat squat and chunky have a slightly lower center of gravity than regular pieces.  I suspect these will be even nicer in that regard since the pieces are even heavier.

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted

I use to collect movies before I got into collecting video games.  With movies being constantly re-released and digital releases being easier to access and just being lazy...I've kinda migrated to away from buying movies.  I want to collect old German beer steins but I have just a refined taste and small budget that it hasn't grown very much.  Instead I've help @nettenette grow her physical collection.  That of comic books (hardback), Magic The Gather, and Batgirl stuff.

1WQ_S2Za0z7OEL3i79RptAH0sv9YPC3A-nl4uQebMiYHJ3QKTVrRLq0Y89f9apL6WR0mpGDpt431LyICJ_yCkg3qEiqocdjZDW1D0eTu9N9cfaggKAIkTjjXRZakgpxYd6rlslgBBIPZM5N7UMPIpGKkhqRS6qdbIxC2c8RLATx9-j5IhXVyRn909rR4lMwM1VP8xzURvrYSqzHAQgXjcqcw64JfBQcK-R-VPOAzu3nEiwckpxcutw-ZovGpgXRqOLnQSCsxE7VqRTbV3wdB7HKQ03oM7H6CFfEQ0FYJxJhU4IteZI6Vgr6WNO5GmPGgbCAG180wH-gYs4_fBvmHN1zxFj6gCzqDIjhhJJBJumRP3xvfDTN9zEpwNyBV_-HXH5zon-fXb_zZcwINBZ7OkquhMF6v1p4i2x5vEX-nPNqSh7s2pNixPChPDkcvUweUgRRPKSvolQoz1ExzmlLaoTNJvt5F2mDy5jTf5AEC6qyrMh9tz8Kshk-RjBWW3fon0-npsl5fEk-M-Fi_gDn6IfPusN2oH11mUJf8AlDj_rg2VBL0UjqMLMPxhhYC5sFvWw5Rg3hMwtqHR5se9ZKX4cOSFSP0JAFHMgG2yiPXSPQum3zrkjtSQFDBZHbmk-AxZwdbeKt0uoxDvwdFJN3dqW1RQww1YGVppyi8Tp0A0AqJzWmdkvXk_iGWoHcU60tdN415bwYnOxfEor1xbVJsvdrD=w1306-h979-no?authuser=0

Edited by FireHazard51

• 2 weeks later...
Social Team · Posted
On 3/4/2020 at 4:37 PM, captmorgandrinker said:

28946_1329420273157_1160470409_30784221_3481989_n.JPGjerseys.JPG

Found a couple pics on Photobucket.  I've since added some Boyle Sharks gloves and a Boyle playoff used Rangers jersey.

@captmorgandrinkerAren't you from the Cincinnati area?  There is a local online action for a Cincinnati Stiner hockey stick that you may be interested in.  I suspect it'll go for dirt cheap, like a buck or two.  It's item #445 in Auction H69  Pick ups are very close to Lunken Airport.

445-1.jpg

Administrator · Posted
5 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

@captmorgandrinkerAren't you from the Cincinnati area?  There is a local online action for a Cincinnati Stiner hockey stick that you may be interested in.  I suspect it'll go for dirt cheap, like a buck or two.  It's item #445 in Auction H69  Pick ups are very close to Lunken Airport.

Nope, I'm closer to Cleveland now but lived in the Cincy area for a few years during college.

That is pretty cool looking though.

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I just picked up a neat canvas map of the Alamo for my odd assemblage of maps.  Not rare or anything - just a nice piece - it is about 24" square.

1169096990_download(26).jpeg.48aabfe6128d8c31b6d63ff50f7071d9.jpeg

There’s something so interesting about old maps, not sure what it is but they are always fun to look at. I used to work for a tourist company that ran a steam train and looking at all their plans for old station buildings was fascinating. All hand drawn too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shmup said:

There’s something so interesting about old maps, not sure what it is but they are always fun to look at. I used to work for a tourist company that ran a steam train and looking at all their plans for old station buildings was fascinating. All hand drawn too.

I was watching a documentary about the Titanic awhile ago and part of it was shot at the shipyard where it was built - they pulled the original blueprints and were examining those.  All the more fascinating when it is taken into consideration that everything was hand drawn back then.

(I have a Japanese laserdisc of the 1954 "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and it has a paper blueprint of the Nautilus in it.)

210418949_download(27).jpeg.4a9be71daa6596122c6cbe4a8008a008.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

I just got this set off of ebay.   If you look closely at the chess pieces you will see that many of them look like they exploded and many have a white powder on them.

737469889_s-l1600(5).thumb.jpg.d7aadd517f7b8b82f2d7a76c8766aedc.jpg

1908378916_s-l1600(6).jpg.8f57dc2730a0c159a2d37b662ac476db.jpg

492115916_s-l1600(7).jpg.0fdf6b6bd9f628f5994ae688bc555ec2.jpg

These pieces are made out of a plastic called tenite - normally a pretty sturdy plastic.  Kinda baffled me until I noticed that the white king in the first picture has some white stuff protruding from the base below the felt.  Someone filled the set with plaster of paris and at some point in time it started to swell - likely off gassing and blowing off the tops of many of the pieces - particularly the pawns (which would have the thinnest shell walls).

Actually a good deal for me since I was able to make an offer and get the set pretty cheaply - there are a lot of nice bakelite pieces in it  and the case is in really nice shape (it still has the handle which is often missing).  Normally I would strip something like  this out and use the pieces in other sets - but the case is so nice I am just going to throw another identical chess set in - but one with the factory weights (metal slugs in the bases) in it.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Here's something I don't think I've shared.  My collections of various sci-fi and fantasy lines.  I was really into these as a kid, but don't really read them anymore.  But I do grab them if I find them for like $1 or less.

From top to bottom it's Star Wars (pre-Episode One), Indiana Jones, Robotech, Warhammer 40K, Forgotten Realms minus the Drizzt stuff)

(and then some random overflow at the bottom)

IMG_20210725_135115.jpg

• Like 5

• 7 months later...
On 7/15/2021 at 3:04 PM, Brickman said:

When my grandfather (who was a master carpenter) emigrated from Norway he was hired by a railroad company to supervise the building of rail stations across the upper midwest.  He could not speak English so they hired a translator and paid for him to go to college to learn English.

• Like 1

I thought I submitted this in this thread, but maybe I brought it up way back in the days of NintendoAge.  Anyway, it's been a loooooong time since I've worked to and find any of these for cheap, but I use to buy up lots of old, Circuit City Divx discs that were $.50 on average in lots.  I remembered when these came out and even then it seemed like such and obviously bad and doomed idea.  Well, all of us that thought that (which was probably 95% of the population that heard of the setup) thought it was stupid.

For those who are unfamiliar with Divx, shortly after DVDs came out, Circuit City worked with a company to develop a DVD player that could take a disc on the first time it was placed in the player, dial-up to a server, get a decryption key and then allow you to watch the disc for only 48 hours.  After 48 hours, the disc was trash.  You would buy these discs as Circuit Cities for $5 (or less) and basically have a 2-day rental, starting from the point of your first watch.  I'm sure this was a "great idea" for people who like to spend money, didn't care about waste and didn't like the hassle of returning DVDs to Blockbuster.  So I guess there was a niche.  But, obviously, it wasn't big enough to support the product line for longer than about 18 months.

Here's a poor photo of my collection on my shelf.  Sorry, I was a bit too lazy to dig it out and properly photograph it.  My "most expensive" disc is GoldenEye.  All of these are semi-uncommon if you want a specific title, which is why I paid $5 for GoldenEye. Everything else was purchased across a few lots for an average price of about $.40-.65 each and these things are definitely not hard to find.

IMG_3779.jpg.1430b707575993d46c31feed1969d945.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@RH

That was indeed a genuinely stupid idea.  It got worse though - that special  dvd player   just so happened to be only sold by Circuit City (or their various subsidiaries) and cost about $150 or so more than typical players of the time.  IIRC the player also had to be hooked up to the modem 24/7 since it periodically received updates.

You could renew the use of the DIVX but again only for a limited time window.  IIRC you could pay a larger fee to be always able to watch it but that fee put you back in the realm of what DVDs cost back then.

When I looked at them they had a bit less than 500 titles available.  The quality of the movies was less than a regular dvd and most of the releases were only pan and scan. 

I am sure you will be pleased to know that I passed on that wonderful tech.  (I also skipped (as it were) SelectaVision in favor of Laserdiscs.)

I bet Circuit City took a bath on that one!

• 4 weeks later...

My mother bought me this chess set when I was a kid. She got it in Cozumel in 1995.  The board and pieces are made of some kind of stone.  I was teaching my wife how the play tonight.  It is quite heavy, a good 15 pounds.  @Tabonga thought you might like this.  I have a few other boring ones to.

20220327_182630.jpg

20220327_182704.jpg

Edited by Matchbook
  • Like 3

@matchbook

If you want to post some pictures of your other sets I might be able to tell you somethinbg about them - I know US  plastic Staunton sets pretty well.  And even boring things are not usually that boring simply because they are "boring"* -and someone at some point in time didn't think they were.

*Sounds odd I freely admit!