IGNORED

What Else Do You Collect Besides Video Games?

Tabonga

These are pretty interesting:

https://www.figurerealm.com/actionfigure?action=seriesitemlist&id=194

I picked up the variant red riding hood cheap - supposedly the main one was based on Traci Lords!

Here is a video of the wolf one - the details look to be very well done.

They seem to have been created with more than a dab of black humor.

22 hours ago, Tabonga said:

These are pretty interesting:

https://www.figurerealm.com/actionfigure?action=seriesitemlist&id=194

I picked up the variant red riding hood cheap - supposedly the main one was based on Traci Lords!

Here is a video of the wolf one - the details look to be very well done.

They seem to have been created with more than a dab of black humor.

I used to have this wolf figure. Got it at Suncoast Video back in the day. Man I miss that store. 

• 3 weeks later...

If you have ever wanted to start your  very own civil war prison camp - here ya go:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Americana-Civil-War-Andersonville-Prison-Figures-Set/153827472272?hash=item23d0d4f390:g:RegAAOSwrGteQLOp

This is certainly one of the odder toy soldier sets I have seen.

Edited by Tabonga

I found one of these recently - it was made by Toy Major as part of their  Tomb Warrior line.  No box but the set is vritually complete - the only thing really missing that I can see is one of the poles under the canopy of one ot the flag.  Should be fairly easy to replace.  

This is also a nice set in that someone has added more soldiers (on both sides) and likely a dragon or two.  

s-l1600 (39).jpg

I've really been enjoying reading through this thread today, so I figured I'd play too. While vidyagamez are obviosuly a favorite hobby of mine, I also dabble just as much in some other areas. You gotta keep it fresh, otherwise you're liable blow your wad.

I'm pretty heavy into records and hifi in general, and cast a wide net as far as music goes, but I'd say I'm particularly partial to 50s/60s jazz and 70s/80s punk. Here are a few of my favorites I thought to pull out off hand, perhaps you'll recognize a few.

spacer.png

I've been collecting movies pretty much since I could walk. Started on BetaMax and have graduated to 4k UHD. Here's a sampling of my collection. It's nothing too crazy compared to a lot of guys, but I'd say I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 flicks or so. I still pick up the occasional VHS tape as well and have a S-VHS deck. You'd be amazed by how many movies never made it past VHS onto a disc format.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I dabble in comics a bit. There are actually a number of new titles that I read fairly regularly, but I'm also into some silver and bronze stuff and pick them up on occasion. Here are a handful of my favorite titles.

spacer.png

Baseball cards are a longtime hobby of mine. I've never been really serious about it or anything, but I go to a handful of card shows a year, and have a fondness for 50s and 60s stars. 56 Topps is probably my favorite set.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And I suppose there are a few other collectibles I'm into here and there. If it involves spending my hard earned money on useless stuff, I'm probably into it. Hahahaha

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

Ha! Don't meet too many Frank Henenlotter fans. You're all right, Reed/Brock.

As far as the VinSyn slips for Raw Force and Christmas Evil, yeah, they offered them as surprises in two of their past few special sales. They do two big sales every year, the Thanksgiving sale and the Memorial Day sale. Great deals and always a few cool surprises. Got lucky to get those. This past year they had slips for Jack Frost, but I swear, they were gone within minutes of the site going live, and I missed out. They announced that the BMX themed 80s rental favorite Rad will be coming out on 4K for the Mem Sale this year, along with some unannounced surprises. Looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

What don't I collect...is a better question.

Ok so I collect:

- Sailor Moon

- Hello Kitty

- Various manga and anime (Black Butler, Future Diary, Attack on Titan...)

- Unicorn stuff (I love unicorns, so if it's unicorn related...I usually will try to get it)

- Dead media (cassettes, VHS, Laserdiscs...)

- Old electronics (old radios, boom boxes, clocks...usually from the 1980s)

- Video game related items (merch, magazines, books, promotional items...)

- Vintage cook books and magazines from the 1940s to the 1960s (for the magazines...specifically stuff like Good Housekeeping)

- Vintage cookware/dishes like Pyrex and Fire King

- Civil Defense/fallout shelter items

- Toys, dolls, figures, plushies, books, magazines, cups, board games...just everything from the 1980s that I can get my hands on. And some choice 1990s items that I had when I was a kid...or always wanted.

- Limited edition...food packaging (specifically junk food like Oreo packages...I'm a bit ashamed about this one. I just keep the packages though, not the food!)

- Vintage Halloween items (like 1940s, 1950s and 1960s stuff...I really don't have much though), I also collect 1980s and 1990s Halloween decorations

Really I collect a lot of stuff and probably forgot 50 other things I collect...

Those are just the "big" collections I listed off. I have other small collections that I'm not sure if they count or not...like my collection of cute Japanese stationary...or my collection of bottlecaps...

If you're interested in seeing some of these things, check my Instagram out: https://www.instagram.com/astorreinhardt/

I post a lot of pictures of the items I find at yard sales/thrift stores that I bought...well not right now since...can't go outside but my old finds are still there. I'm also planning on taking some deep dives into my collections later this year...take pictures of my weirder items or my favorite items...

• Like 1

I picked up these guys for my fantasy playset:

s-l1600 (41).jpg

They are Scheich figures - the elephant is pretty rare (as are the accessories which were sold as a separate kit).  It is a bit big at 15" long for my 2" figures but will stand in as a mûmakil (from Lord of the Rings) - they were pretty big!

Edited by Tabonga

• 1 month later...

Here is a game set I just picked up (for parts - a lot of bakelite here):

htps://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-LOWE-1944-TRAVELING-GAME-SET-8-Plus-Games-Checkers-Horse-Race-BAKELITE/124191285395?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The only things in here that are actually likely Lowe's are the chess/backgammon board (which is split) and the horse race stuff.  The case is likely Lowe's but has been modified with different wood dividers (the colors don't match and you can see where the original frame was cut to accept the new dividers).  The pull out trays are also not Lowe's.  I will likely jettison the case and save the dividers for reuse (if they aren't heavily glued).  But the components are almost all useable to fill out other sets.

I also picked up this neat little set (made in England) - the smallest dominoes ever in this one!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Game-Set-Cards-Cribbage-Dice-Chess-Leather-Case-/164188342204?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=iLHNhIq6W1oYkbdefFEOTux6ge8%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

Hey guys you have great collections ! I can't take picture now, but I'll try to do soon.

Beside retro videogames,

I collect movies in dvd, blu-ray and I have no preference as I buy used in pawnshops and thriftstores, if I find a movie I want, it its clean, I pick it up whatever it is!

I collect cd too, but this collection is dormant. Right now I'm downsizing my cd collection by hundreds and the same for movies.

I don't see my books as a collection, but I definitely find them precious.

Oh ! I would consider my like 40-50 comic books as a collection. Mostly those from my childhood. Some new stuff, but mainly some '90 Garfield, Leonard, Asterix, Spirou et Fantasio, Gaston Lagaffe, Cubitus, Marsupilami, etc yeah I know more 'colorful ''kiddy'' comic books then mature hyper violent, but I do have things like Zodiac Killer and Zombies Vs Robots Adventures.

My collections are nothing specials as some I just saw in this thread.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OLDSKULL said:

My collections are nothing specials as some I just saw in this thread.

As long as you like them they are special to you.  What other reason do you need to collect something?

And one really  neat thing about most collections is that  no two are ever exactly alike - so they will each be unique in some aspect.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

Lps

Back to the future (i posted here in forum part)

Signed Items

From singer and bands like

Alice Cooper
Deep Purple guys
Iron Maiden guys
Roger Waters Pinkfloyd
Rick Wakeman Yes
Alan Parsons
Dennis Deyoung Styx
Ian Anderson Jethro Tull

And many many more

Edited by Edgarmcfly

Administrator · Posted
15 hours ago, Tabonga said:

As long as you like them they are special to you.  What other reason do you need to collect something?

And one really  neat thing about most collections is that  no two are ever exactly alike - so they will each be unique in some aspect.

Exactly.   Some of my sports stuff I collect is because it's friends that I've drank with over the years.   Those items wouldn't translate in the same way to somebody else unless they were at the same parties.

On 5/24/2020 at 7:08 PM, Tabonga said:

Thank you for the words @Tabonga 🙂 I love my collections and they are great as I have good tastes ! When I say ''nothing special'' I mean that dvd and cds\vinyls collection are pretty common or ''classic collection'' . If somebody tells me that he's collecting dvd, I know what to aspect, dvd, opposite to someone that tell me he's collecting Mr. T stuff, I totally don't know what to expect  from that so it makes it more interesting to me and because of that, I lower the importance of showing my dvd and cd collections. It's always nice to see the varied tastes of other people, but I'm always amazed to see what people collect, it's so fun, it's beautiful ! It's so personal ! 🙂

2 hours ago, OLDSKULL said:

Thank you for the words @Tabonga 🙂 I love my collections and they are great as I have good tastes ! When I say ''nothing special'' I mean that dvd and cds\vinyls collection are pretty common or ''classic collection'' . If somebody tells me that he's collecting dvd, I know what to aspect, dvd, opposite to someone that tell me he's collecting Mr. T stuff, I totally don't know what to expect  from that so it makes it more interesting to me and because of that, I lower the importance of showing my dvd and cd collections. It's always nice to see the varied tastes of other people, but I'm always amazed to see what people collect, it's so fun, it's beautiful ! It's so personal ! 🙂

Well in a nutshell something is common only if you designate it as such (and who cares what others may think - one doesn't collect for them -  although they may be (or maybe not) a good source of information on whatever is being collected).  And even something "common" is needed if you are collecting most things.  And  I know a lot of the things I have in my various collections have a story of their own -the first video game I bought, a laserdisc that someone gave me as a present, what I consider the best book an author has written, the first movie I saw in a theater with Mrs.Tobanga,  etc.etc.  Sometimes the memory of something is far more valuable than any monetary one - I have an elephant doorstop like this one

213820505_s-l1600(46).thumb.jpg.4fe7072e2a4f8cec2e8421412dfd2b9a.jpg

Mine is red with a gold blanket and when I was very little I would use it to help my army of Vikings break into the castle of knights I had.  When I left for college my mother gave it to me - I still have that elephant and I doubt  I would sell it for any reason.

I have often thought that simply  looking at what a person has will tell you much about them with out even exchanging any words.

Edited by Tabonga

Good morning @Tabonga ! 🙂

The explainations go further down the rabbit hole. I do not agree with your comment ''Well in a nutshell something is common only if you designate it as such''. The ''common'' aspect never affected the way I can see or appreciate things. It's just like a reference point in my head. Of course objects have stories and that's what make things worth. ''Common'' can sound pejorative, but not in my mouth.

The memories are filled and reflect with symbolism. I like your doorstop by the way 🙂 The only elephant in my room, to say it like that, is a small elephant scupt in ivory and it's in a nice little metal (maybe brass)box (very hard to open (oepened 1 time only)). My father brought it back from India around the 2000-01. I like little objects.

I do have many of those little objects with no apparent logic from one to the other that I don't keep at the same place like a collection, but I think that the emotional/memorial behind them make them a bit more valuable to me and I think that I could consider them as a collection 

• 2 weeks later...