IGNORED

What Else Do You Collect Besides Video Games?

Tabonga

The big ones for me are Pokemon cards, neat Pokemon figures, and basketball cards. The current side quest is to collect a card for every NBA/ABA player who has played and has a card in a major set. The most fun I've had so far with it is just researching who does or does not a card and what they're doing now. For example, one person without a card, Willie (Will) Allen, played 30 minutes of professional basketball for the Floridians (ABA) in 1972 and later became a leader in the urban farming movement. Another without a card, Darrel Allums, played 22 games with the Dallas Mavericks in 1980 and ended up going to jail for nine years after robbing eight different Domino's pizza deliverymen in a two-month timeframe.

As you can see from the last names, I'm not terribly far into my research. So I'm sure I'll find many more interesting stories.

• The title was changed to What Else Do You Collect Besides Video Games?
2 hours ago, kuriatsu said:

Other than videogames, I also collect swords and knives.

I've got some interesting items, like a spaniard sword from 1853, a gun-knife(does not shoot bullets, its just a knife that looks like a gun and is really going to cut someones finger off someday) and a hand made sword that I made.

On  a slightly related note there is a gun shop about 5 blocks from me that has a 17th century ship's swivel gun in a display case in the middle of the store.  Pretty amazing.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted

My bro and I have collected hockey cards since our childhood, and we're still trying to get some autographed cards of the great players, well whenever we can find good deals on sealed boxes. Also, since I'm an adult with family responsibilities, I've been more and more into collecting debts. Very addictive hobby.

• Haha 3

On 2/20/2020 at 1:55 PM, Philosoraptor said:

The big ones for me are Pokemon cards, neat Pokemon figures

Nice!!

I still have a ton from when I was a kid, I've got a bunch of mew cards, a charizard base 1 card, and lots of others 🙂

Good to know that some people still collect the older cards 🙂 (well I hope the older cards too)

edit: also that pikachu avi is adorable.

Edited by kuriatsu
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, kuriatsu said:

Nice!!

I still have a ton from when I was a kid, I've got a bunch of mew cards, a charizard base 1 card, and lots of others 🙂

Good to know that some people still collect the older cards 🙂 (well I hope the older cards too)

edit: also that pikachu avi is adorable.

Thank you! Your avatar is intriguing! Is she an OC?

I traded a good chunk of my childhood commons, uncommons, and rares from Base Set to about Gym Challenge for a CB copy of FFX back in the day. Not my best trade, but I kept all of my holographics, thank goodness. Nowadays, suffice to say I've gotten everything back and then some. Some of the newer cards are super cool, but there's nothing like the nostalgia of the WOTC thick-border sets. It sounds like you have quite a collection yourself. 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Philosoraptor said:

Thank you! Your avatar is intriguing! Is she an OC?

I traded a good chunk of my childhood commons, uncommons, and rares from Base Set to about Gym Challenge for a CB copy of FFX back in the day. Not my best trade, but I kept all of my holographics, thank goodness. Nowadays, suffice to say I've gotten everything back and then some. Some of the newer cards are super cool, but there's nothing like the nostalgia of the WOTC thick-border sets. It sounds like you have quite a collection yourself. 🙂

Sadly, shes not original, shes naoto shirogane from persona 4. I just took the picture from somewhere online as the picture is kinda fitting of me.

FFX was an amazing game, so if that was worth it to you then, I'm sure that you got your moneys worth 🙂 

I keep my current collection in one singular pokemon deck box with separaters(medium-large size). I don't have only pokemon in there, I've got other goodies like 3 harry potter factory sealed promo cards from the first 3 movies, a storm card for some reason from xmen the first movie, a booster card from mario RPG among others. I also have a sealed waterblast deck somewhere(though the box is not sealed but the cards are)

• Wow! 1

18 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Blurays and books

A lot of them are currently packed up, so no pics.  But Im mostly a fantasy/SF/horror book guy, and a cult/horror movie guy

I have the whole run of the old ace doubles (just the science fiction ones) - the artwork on those is generally very good.
(I also have the singles for the D and F series.)

http://people.uncw.edu/smithms/D-series.html

http://people.uncw.edu/smithms/F-series.html

http://people.uncw.edu/smithms/G-series.html

http://people.uncw.edu/smithms/H-series.html

http://people.uncw.edu/smithms/M-series.html

http://people.uncw.edu/smithms/N-series.html

If you click on the book number a picture of the that cover will pop up,

Edited by Tabonga

I collect quite an assortment of non gaming goodies. Here is a list off the top of my head of things that I look for:

Jurassic Park- I collect anything JP or JW and so does my daughter. We have hundreds of Dinosaurs and various memorabilia. 

Hot Wheels- My son is a big collector of HW and I recently got back into collecting Die-cast cars. 

MOTU- I loved Master of the Universe as a kid and it started to pull on my heart strings again. I have around 20 figures and multiple books on the history of MOTU and the comics. 

Movies- Blu-ray, DVD, and VHS- We love to watch movies in our house as a family and we tend to collect them.

Whiskey- The wife and I started this collection trying to find other whiskies we would like. We have one or two mixed drinks on the weekends while watching horror movies. This amount will last us years and 80% of the bottles are unopened. Our favorites are: Buffalo Trace, Gentleman Jack, Knob Creek, Wild Turkey 101 and a few Irish varieties. 

Green Bay Packers- I love the Packers and enjoy watching them play football. The whole family supports the green and gold and we all have shirts, hats, etc. to support our team. Down below is an older picture of the Packer Hall, so ignore Ty Montgomery and his foolish ways. He has since been removed from the wall but Clay will always have a place. 

Coins- I've been collecting coins since I was a child and still have 90% of my collection from then. I occasionally purchase coins and tend to find coins in my other hobby metal detecting. 

Ford Mustang- I have a Mustang sitting in the garage and like to buy stuff for it and signs to decorate the garage. 

IMG_3383.JPG

IMG_2188.JPG

Edited by Ghost Soldier
  • Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
5 hours ago, themisfit138 said:

I have a massive movie collection, and the book collection is constantly growing. Mostly hardcover, but I quite enjoy 80s and 90s paperback artwork. Horror and Fantasy had the best. 

Me too, to a tee.  Mostly boxed up, but I do have most of my horror movies in my storage area

IMG_20200226_113002.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, themisfit138 said:

I have a massive movie collection, and the book collection is constantly growing. Mostly hardcover, but I quite enjoy 80s and 90s paperback artwork. Horror and Fantasy had the best. 

If you aren't familiar with it this place has a lot of neat Lovecraft themed stuff.  A bit pricey but they do have fairly periodic 20% off sales.

https://www.hplhs.org/

I have this great map of Lovecraft's Dreamlands - it is 24" by 36"

2012-02-13-dreammap-color-small.jpg

I guess I do collect Van's slip-on shoes although I really just love them so much and wear them all. I have around 90 so far. I'll take a pic when the times comes, but I really don't want to take them all out of their boxes right now lol. Also, fossils, dinosaur eggs, and relics.

Edited by Skorp