IGNORED

I'm finally giving the PS3/PS4 some love...my first real 8th gen game, Dragon Quest 11...which I just completed Story Mode! And it only took me 100 hours...

Estil

46 minutes ago, Gloves said:

That said, the Metal Gear Solid 4 platinum trophy was super fuckin fun to get. Even though it killed 2 of my ps3 consoles. (I went through 6 ps3 systems) 

I'm only on my third (fingers crossed it's my last).  My original 40GB fat model which I bought new got the blinking red light.  I reflowed the solder on two occasions, but for the third time I decided to replace it.  My second model was a 120GB slim which I bought used.  It still runs today, but it don't read discs anymore, so it can only be used as a digital or streaming device.  My third model was a 500GB super slim which I bought new and is still in use today.  

PS2 and PS3 are the only systems I've ever owned that have failed on me while owning them.  

I have repaired my Model 1 Sega CD  many times. On my third PS3 and six 360s. Microsoft at least paid for the repairs, and finally replaced it with a slim.

I have also fried multiple NES top loaders, heat soaked them all. The top loader was not designed to play for long sessions. 

Edited by themisfit138

7 hours ago, Gloves said:

All of em lol. I got pretty badly addicted to trophies and it's about all I cared about for a good 5-8 years. Almost killed gaming for me. 

I could go on and on, but my general advice is to just not take them seriously at all. If a game is great and you wanna get everything you can out of it I'd say go for it of course, but when you find yourself taking creepy photos of underage anime girls and tapping mayonnaise for a half hour for a platinum trophy, it may be time to take stock of your life. 

I beg your pardon? 

And for Nintendo games I always liked to get all the stars/badges/icons/etc I could on my save file.  Such as doing so for the first five Battle Network games.  I mean those count too, right?

Edited by Estil

Just now, Estil said:

How in the world did you do that?  I mean how many hours are we talking about here?

Playing Zelda and Final Fantasy mostly. Also use to leave games paused and come back later. That way I could continue from the same spot. I did this with the original NES and SNES with no problems. The top loader just couldn’t handle it. Even with normal gameplay they will become hot to the touch near the cartridge slot. 

Administrator · Posted
30 minutes ago, Estil said:

I beg your pardon? 

And for Nintendo games I always liked to get all the stars/badges/icons/etc I could on my save file.  Such as doing so for the first five Battle Network games.  I mean those count too, right?

This is one of the more tame ones: https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/the-idolm-ster-gravure-for-you-vol-2-a/270884-idolm-ster-gravure-you-vol-2-trophy-guide-roadmap.html

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Estil said:

But that's JP-only right?  I mean they can get away with that kind of thing more there.

It is indeed, yes lol.

So yeah, when you're importing Japanese games to take photos of kids to get trophies faster, maybe just turn the car left a little. All I'm sayin' lol.

Aaaand I'm on a list now.

8 hours ago, themisfit138 said:

Playing Zelda and Final Fantasy mostly. Also use to leave games paused and come back later. That way I could continue from the same spot. I did this with the original NES and SNES with no problems. The top loader just couldn’t handle it. Even with normal gameplay they will become hot to the touch near the cartridge slot. 

Soooo, how many hours is too many for the top loader?  I mean I do have a nice composite modded one and I sure wouldn't want to wreck it 😞 

On 2/20/2020 at 10:38 AM, themisfit138 said:

I wouldn’t worry a a modded one too much. They most likely put heat sinks on the cpu and ppu. Which solves the overheating issue, as it lowers the chips operating temps by 20 degrees or so. 

I dunno, I think I got mine at or fairly close to 10 years ago-ish...so I don't know if anyone thought of putting heat sinks in a top loader NES...I mean I thought the whole point of cartridge based consoles is that there's no moving parts and hardly any heat?

So how many hours would be too many for one play through?  Just so I'm on the safe side.  Does using the Everdrive make more or less heat?

https://psntrophyleaders.com/leaderboard/main

Wow, this is beyond insane what the all-time trophy hunting leaders have one...there's exactly 100 with at least a thousand platinums...I'll be lucky if I can even get one or two I bet!!  And 451 have at least 25K trophies overall.  Of course they had an over ten  year head start!!  Wow, this sounds like the kind of thing you'd have to invest every waking moment of your life...and I got way too many other kinds of hobbies going on too!  Not to mention Nintendo and PS1/PS2 gaming!

So yeah, while I certainly think doing the trophies is fun, I hope you guys aren't expecting me to ever get anywhere near these guys!

So I managed to pick up a few games for my upcoming birthday in just under three weeks so my lineups are now:

PS3:

1. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remake
  2. Final Fantasy 13 Trilogy (13, 13-2, Lightning Returns)
  3. Gran Tursimo 5
  4. Jeopardy
  5. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 & 2.5 Remixes
  6. Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
  7. Wheel of Fortune

PS4:

1. Dragon Quest 11
  2. Final Fantasy 12 Zodiac Age
  3. (I hope at some point to get the MegaMan Legacy Collection Trilogy)

I think this shouldn't be too bad for starters, right?

PS: I like how for the trophies they usually get a distinctive icon/badge just like with Nintendo or PS1/PS2 games often gave you a star/icon/badge or something on your save file or title screen to credit you for achievements.

Edited by Estil

I'm late to the show and it was just some months back I finally got a usable PS3 back in my hands too, one of the super slims.  I got it mainly for movies, but PS3 was the last PS system I adored so I did grab a few releases.

Some easy suggestions would be Dragon's Crown, the Journey package(which has flow and flower too), God of War Saga (gives you 5 games though the 2 PSP are downloads), and then the 3 Uncharted releases are amazing.  I'd suggest those are good places to start but there's far more and it's amazing still today just how good that generation still looks and sounds, doesn't feel outdated at all.

Yeah what is up with that whole God of War thing anyway?  It does seem rather popular here.  And me being something of a history buff, would I likely enjoy the Assassin's Creed series?  Not to be confused with Apollo Creed right? 😄

Also I think it's smart of me to be doing mostly remakes first so I don't get too spoiled too quickly on the new fangled 7th/8th gen graphics. 😄

Funny thing I usually hate games like GoW.  Basically you're playing out classic mythology, with blades and magic.  Well not so much playing it out, than an extermination campaign.  Destroying one ancient god and demi-god after another and their minions of all thsoe awesome mythological worth from the little harpys to a big freaking minotaur or the hydra.  The games control well, the story writing on how awful and corrupt the gods are and why they need to be destroyed really drives it.  The utter high end violence and blood bath going on is almost secondary to the revenge quest spread over the 3 primary releases.  That said, they're hard, hard enough even the developers said normal gamers should play it on easy mode because normal is like hard, and hard is like nightmare.  So if you want to still feel challenged, but enjoy the story without breaking controllers, keep that in mind.

On 2/19/2020 at 11:47 AM, Gloves said:

That said, the Metal Gear Solid 4 platinum trophy was super fuckin fun to get. Even though it killed 2 of my ps3 consoles. (I went through 6 ps3 systems) 

Wow, I haven't even yet done the first 'Solid on PS1...and how in the world did you "killed 2 of my PS3 consoles" and "went through 6 PS3 systems"?  I mean I thought it was the Xbox 360 that did that...

And at the point, I say to heck with platinums, I'll just see how many B/S/G trophies I can get first.  I mean you have to get those first anyway right?

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Estil said:

Apparently GoW got its start (first two games) on PS2...so if I ever did get into it I better start with those first, right?

Absolutely yes. Get the collection, it has both PS2 games on it:

220px-God_of_War_Collection_Cover.jpg

If you like those, you'll probably also enjoy the PSP games which are ALSO available in a collection:

220px-God_of_War_Origins_Collection_box_

I'd definitely suggest ALL of these before GoW3, which was originally released on PS3.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Estil said:

Wow, I haven't even yet done the first 'Solid on PS1...and how in the world did you "killed 2 of my PS3 consoles" and "went through 6 PS3 systems"?  I mean I thought it was the Xbox 360 that did that...

And at the point, I say to heck with platinums, I'll just see how many B/S/G trophies I can get first.  I mean you have to get those first anyway right?

Platinums are unlocked by obtaining all the other trophies on a game, yeah. Some games can heat up certain console variations, and I got unlucky. I was a pretty addicted trophy hunter for a long time, so was using my PS3 daily, often upwards of 4-8 hours plus.

If you don't get the collection there's a larger later release called the God of War Saga.  That one has 1-3 in one package physical, then the 2 PSP ports are digital if I remember right (so buy new.)  If you detest digital like I do, then that Origins Collection above clears that issue and it's super cheap, Saga is too (used.)

Yes, I like to have real games on real discs/cartridges.  Not fake download ones that can go "poof" after only a few years when the company no longer "feels like" supporting it.

You don't even get a discount for getting the downloaded version either!  From the very start I wondered why you don't get at least $10 off for not getting the real physical game.  I mean isn't the idea to save on the cost of making the disc/manual/case/wrapping/shipping/etc?  So why the heck not shouldn't some of that savings get passed down to the consumer?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Platinums are unlocked by obtaining all the other trophies on a game, yeah. Some games can heat up certain console variations, and I got unlucky. I was a pretty addicted trophy hunter for a long time, so was using my PS3 daily, often upwards of 4-8 hours plus.

Which PS3's did you have?  I got the latest model, the Super Slim 500GB...hopefully that is the best kind right?