IGNORED

What 'crappy' game do you wish was good?

Nintegageo

On 2/27/2020 at 11:00 AM, Sumez said:

Sounds like this summary is based entirely on the terrible NES ports (both by Micronics, the kings of terrible NES ports). Fortunately, much better versions of both games already exist.

I'm not sure ikari Warriors would be good if it controlled better i understand it's paradoxical but those very controls give the game the war the sense of adventure that it has. You really have to account for how you're stepping around and the angle of fire. 

You're saying the Arcade version is the "superior one that already exists"? That one is so fucking easy and dull. I can finish it back-to-back without ever dying. If your gun is maxed it's the last boss is nothing and if it isn't it's literally impossible not to die.

There are some people making cool romhack improvements to some games.  Ultima Exodus was one of the latest.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4949/

I would love to see more like this.

Another game I wish was better was Xenophobe.  Conceptually it's awesome, but it could have some much better controls and more interesting level goals.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sumez said:

What would you change in the NES version of DD3 that isn't already fixed in the Japanese release?

I honestly like it better than the typical fan favourite, DD2.

More level and enemy variety would be good, but mainly just better controls and a little faster gameplay.  Punching and kicking just feels sluggish and useless, and enemies take forever to kill even when spamming special attacks.  What is different in the Japanese release?

To me DD2 just seems to have a lot more variety across it's levels.  The themed levels of DD3 are OK, but they didn't do enough with them.  Level 2, if I'm not mistaken is a short trek through some country and a couple of fights in a cabin.  Compare that to DD2's level 2 which is much more interesting even if the helicopter is cheap when you aren't ready to avoid it.   I even like the platforming segments, though it is admittedly cumbersome due to the jumping.

Speaking of Double Dragon games.  DDIV could have been a lot better also.  I liked what they were trying to do, it was just too unfinished and buggy.

Speaking of which. This might be sacrilegious, because I often see the NES (or more notably, the Famicom) version of Double Dragon 2 mentioned as one of the better beat'em ups out there, but god damn if it had dropped that awkward directional button system in favor of an extra button to vary your moves rather than weirdly timing them, I would have been able to enjoy that game so much more.

As it is, it just feels like an exercise in fighting the game's controls.

@CMR Which DD4 are you referring to, the original SNES game, or the recent nostalgia-exploitation game released with that title? 

Edited by Sumez

14 hours ago, Sumez said:

Speaking of which. This might be sacrilegious, because I often see the NES (or more notably, the Famicom) version of Double Dragon 2 mentioned as one of the better beat'em ups out there, but god damn if it had dropped that awkward directional button system in favor of an extra button to vary your moves rather than weirdly timing them, I would have been able to enjoy that game so much more.

As it is, it just feels like an exercise in fighting the game's controls.

@CMR Which DD4 are you referring to, the original SNES game, or the recent nostalgia-exploitation game released with that title? 

The recent game.  Supposedly it had the original creator of the franchise involved in it.  I think it had the potential to be something awesome, but you could tell it was unfinished and lacking polish.

Pretty interesting topic, there are a lot of games that I like in spite of their issues.  Just off the top of my head I'd go with Quest 64 and Aidyn Chronicles.  I can still play both of them and while I wouldn't say they're terrible, they could definitely use some improvement.  Oddly enough, I feel like each of these has what the other lacks.  Quest 64 is a pretty good looking game on the aesthetic front and runs fairly smoothly, but it has next to no actual content.  Whereas Aidyn Chronicles is muddy/ugly but has content in spades.

Another one, and not trying to do a "hot take" since I don't think it's necessarily bad, but I wish Super Castlevania IV was as good as the praise/hype it receives.  A lot of times you see it hyped as "the one" as far as classic 'Vania goes, and every time I play it I start off with the mindset of "hey, this is pretty good, maybe I was wrong", but by the end I'm just glad it's over.  I'm not a fan of the graphics (something overly earthy about the palette ), the boss fights are of the "kill them before they kill you" variety ( granted, you can say the same about the NES 'Vanias, but Bloodlines and Rondo both have bosses that require more strategy ), and it doesn't live up to the series difficulty-wise either.

4 hours ago, JERedmond said:

A lot of times you see it hyped as "the one" as far as classic 'Vania goes

No way. I do like CV4, but in terms of classicvanias, it's absolutely the odd one out. The controls and multidirectional whip feel very different from any other Castlevania game, and the graphics are absolutely its own thing entirely. I also think the game also suffers from the huge sprites, giving you less of an overview of the action.

I prefer most other classicvanias (at least the non-GB ones) to CV4, but even a bad castlevania is usually still a good game 🙂

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

Resident Evil Survivor / Resident Evil Gaiden

I was such a big fan of the RE series back in the day and these were the first 2 stinkers in the series.
I had been following the development of the RE1 gbc port in game magazines for so long. When they cancelled it and gave us RE Gaiden instead it was one of the biggest let downs of my childhood. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/11/2020 at 3:39 PM, Tabonga said:

It wasn't totally crappy but Addams Family Values (SNES) was a challenge to play - it had some pretty nasty flaws - the worst of which was a password system that used these gothic looking letters that were largely indisti'nguishable.  So you would write down what you thought was the password only that it wasn't.  Also the game looked liked it was rushed into production before it was polished up - for example there was a bridge mentioned in the manual that was nowhere in the game - there were some items you could see but couldn't reach without it - nothing super critical but frustrating because it was unobtainable - kinda like those goofy chests in Shining Force II.

Adams Family Values would be my choice too.

To get the password you always have to find cousin It in the swamp which is really, really annoying.

Another choice would be Bubsy. Give Bubsy a life bar or a "ring system" like in Sonic and it would probably be a lot better.

Heavy Nova. Everything about this game is awful, except for the robots' design and the music. I really wished they have saved both these things for a game with functional controls and at least decent backgrounds. After all, action platform mecha games were not really that common on the consoles from back in the day.

Edited by DreamCuPS

Final Fantasy X-2.  Final Fantasy was one of my favorite games ever and when I got FFX-2 and discovered the gameplay and style was totally different I was devastated.  

Revisiting the game now I can appreciate the difference, I still don't like it.  I was always mad they called it X-2, even if it was based off the story.

Edited by Chuppa

Editorials Team · Posted
57 minutes ago, Chuppa said:

Final Fantasy X-2.  Final Fantasy was one of my favorite games ever and when I got FFX-2 and discovered the gameplay and style was totally different I was devastated.  

Revisiting the game now I can appreciate the difference, I still don't like it.  I was always mad they called it X-2, even if it was based off the story.

I'm in the middle of FFX2.  It's been a bit of a struggle 

Editorials Team · Posted
On 4/9/2020 at 11:36 AM, RudeGravity said:

Adams Family Values would be my choice too.

To get the password you always have to find cousin It in the swamp which is really, really annoying.

Another choice would be Bubsy. Give Bubsy a life bar or a "ring system" like in Sonic and it would probably be a lot better.

Ah yes, Addams Family Values...

http://snesrankings.com/games/325_301.html#316

• Like 1

@Rooster

Gemfire is a pretty good game - easily the simplest of the KOEI strategy games.  It has a lot of menu options that you can just ignore - once you figure out how to bamboozle (which is ridiculously easy)  the food/gold stock market you can just hire troops and take over the enemy provinces. It is a really quick game - you can finish it in a night or two.  Which makes it a perfect filler (if a bit low calorie) when you want to play a game but are now sure what you want to invest time in next.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1