IGNORED

What 'crappy' game do you wish was good?

Nintegageo

I'd say Bioshock Infinite, but it's more "I wish i didn't pre-order this" than actually wishing it was good. Game's such a god damned bland, cobbled together mess of a shooter, chalk full of shoehorned political bullshit and other crap that just doesn't make sense because they kept scrapping and restarting the game.

Oh, The Bureau: X-Com declassified. Despite the developmental hell that game went through it's actually not too shabby. Little generic, but the tactical stuff goes a long way to keep it from being boring,  but it was clearly something WAY different during development and i can't help but wonder what could've been.

Sticker star was just ugggggghhh *shudders*

Sticker Star is like Alcohol free beer. You'd be better off drinking your own piss instead. We can only hope that now Mario and Luigi is dead and buried that Paper Mario will stop trying to strip all the RPG for some kind of "puzzle" game.

Edited by PineappleLawnchair
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Californication said:

Really? I was thinking about picking that up.

I really wanted to like it, and I have played through it twice just because I like LoZ so much. I got it on launch day (this is something I have never done for any game before or since). But there are a lot of things about Skyward Sword that are really annoying.

Spoiler

• Fi, your familiar this time around. If anything about Navi or Midna annoyed you, multiply it. She’s a constant, verbose interruption. In one dungeon late in the game she forces you to stop and look at a door and chatters on about it and how it must be important for, like, a couple of minutes. You could not possibly miss this door. It’s an enormous, ornate door, in the main corridor, and it very obviously leads to the boss. I almost stopped playing at that point. And there are a lot of cut scenes when you get to new areas, in which you’re forced to watch her do a lengthy ballet routine, followed by extensive exposition. I think you even have to watch more than one routine in some of these. Why? STFU Fi!
  • Different areas are thoroughly segregated. If you are in area 3 on the ground, and you want to go to area 1 — which you will because there is a lot of backtracking back-and-forth — you can’t get there on the ground. You have to fly back up to Sky Land, then return to the ground through the other area’s portal. This is worse, imo, than moving between different islands in WindWaker. It feels like they couldn’t make a cohesive world. And there aren’t even many different land areas. It’s all very forced-path.
  • There is a certain huge beast that you have to fight three times, once in each “act”, as it were.
  • The Ganon decoy trolls you hard. And he, is, fuh-LLAYM-inng‽ Think of Him from PowerPuff Girls, then take all the humor away. He’s just like that. I think Nintendo wanted to make you hate him, and I do, but I also hate whoever came up with this. You also encounter him multiple times, and as I think about it this is another example how the game is very formulaic to itself, and repetitive. 
  • Upon meeting royalty of the next area, when they ask you to complete a labyrinth or get an object, first you have to do a collectathon within a limited time period. You want me to stop the big evil taking over your land, but first I have to go through a maze and pick up 30 music note fishes in under four minutes? Fuck off!     You cannot proceed without this. It’s an okay thing once or twice in a Zelda game but this is too many times.

It’s been over five years since I touched SS, and that is off the top of my head. I’m sure I could point out more issues if I were to go through it again. There are some things that I do like, obviously.

Spoiler

The combat is pretty good. Some people bitch about the motion controls, I like it. Uhh... the sailcloth (parachute) is cool. The electrical gimmick in the desert area. Can’t think of anything else right now.

But yeah. It’s crappy. I really wish it was better, and I expected it to be better. Especially coming off of Twilight Princess, which was close to what a lot of us were expecting on GameCube when we got WW instead... and better, it’s very much not. 

• Like 1

Moon for DS was an amazing experience for it's time but it became repetitive and I never finished it. Using the moon as a back drop for a thriller FPS was a brilliant idea and I'm surprised more games haven't tried to duplicate the experience but improve upon it.

I still highly recommend a playthrough if you can get a copy but after a while all of the enemies and puzzles feel like more of the same. The bosses are unique but that's about it. I hesitate to say it's crappy but I'd still like for it to be a whole lot better, and I think it could have been.

On 2/12/2020 at 4:28 PM, skinnygrinny said:

I often refer to King’s knight as one of the worst game’s I have ever played. I’d rather play super pitfall.

I'll be that guy and say that I actually and unironically like King's Knight. Sure, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but somehow it's still fun to shoot everyone and everything and to level up your characters. It's sort of my guilty pleasure.

But Athena is a really good choice, especially the NES version. It's just an absolutely dreadful game. Even with a few tweaks it could have at lest been playable, like giving Athena a short invincibility time after getting hit and maybe bumping her back a little bit so that you can shake off the enemies and kill them instead of dying in a split second. Also, it sucked that enemies would constantly drop weapons on you thereby erasing the good weapon that you're currently carrying.

I also somewhat dislike Borderlands. It can be fun, but only in multiplayer and in short intervals. Also, whenever I play it I kinda wish I could just play a good shooter or Diablo like game.

On 2/11/2020 at 4:07 PM, Link said:

Skyward Sword

You can say that again! I really really wanted to like the game. I really did. There were some things I did enjoy like the graphics, the music, Skyloft and even some of the characters. But the level design was horrendous and repetitive and the motion controls were a forced gimmick that only made the game more tedious. Even with traditional controls the game would've been a mess mostly because you visit the same 3 areas 3 times and the lack of any kind of open world made the game feel miniscule but at the same time ended up being the 2nd longest Zelda in history (after Breath of the Wild - so longest game at the time of release). I hate that I didn't like the game. Zelda deserved better than this.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PineappleLawnchair said:

I'd say Bioshock Infinite, but it's more "I wish i didn't pre-order this" than actually wishing it was good. Game's such a god damned bland, cobbled together mess of a shooter, chalk full of shoehorned political bullshit and other crap that just doesn't make sense because they kept scrapping and restarting the game.

I haven’t played it, but my strongest memory of Bioshock Infinite is when I had some sort of media class in high school and we had this huge obnoxious movie dork in there. You know, the kind that can’t sit down and watch a movie but has to analyze every detail so he can complain about it later and then push his opinions on everyone who didn’t ask and tell them why they’re wrong for not thinking X movie is garbage.

Anyway, Infinite had just come out and we happened to be talking about video games in class. He was in love with Infinite and wouldn't shut up about it. As the conversation progressed I said FF3/6 was my favorite game of all time. Dude proceeds to tell me why I’m wrong and the only reason I think that is because I haven’t played Infinite yet.

Fuck that guy.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

I haven’t played it, but my strongest memory of Bioshock Infinite is when I had some sort of media class in high school and we had this huge obnoxious movie dork in there. You know, the kind that can’t sit down and watch a movie but has to analyze every detail so he can complain about it later and then push his opinions on everyone who didn’t ask and tell them why they’re wrong for not thinking X movie is garbage.

Anyway, Infinite had just come out and we happened to be talking about video games in class. He was in love with Infinite and wouldn't shut up about it. As the conversation progressed I said FF3/6 was my favorite game of all time. Dude proceeds to tell me why I’m wrong and the only reason I think that is because I haven’t played Infinite yet.

Fuck that guy.

I'm sorry you went through that 😞

That guy sounds ultra obnoxious...Honestly, I fear becoming that kind of person because I analyze things on my youtube channel.

While I do recommend bioshock infinite, I think that, that kind of situation could persuade anyone off of something, so I don't blame you at all for staying away from it.

• Like 2

I really wanted to like Due Nukem Forever.  I didn't hate it as much as most people, but it certainly wasn't great.  I would have been a lot more pissed if I had pre-ordered it or bought some kind of collector's edition.  I bought it brand new at Best Buy for $9.99 about 6 months after it came out, and I feel that I got my money's worth, but the game was never what it should have been.  

56 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

Fuck that guy.

Ah yes, the "Smart gamer", I remember those idiots all too well. Really, you're not missing much, it really is just a more pretentious CoD.

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted

I had ducked out of modern games when the Wii/DS first came out, but I got pulled back into it when I heard the 3DS had a Paper Mario, and was going to get a Lttp-inspired Zelda and Yoshi's New Island. Link Between Worlds was fun, but Paper Mario Sticker Star and Yoshi's New Island were disappointing. I really tried to find the good in them, and I even argued in favor of them for a while, but I slowly realized I wasn't playing them and that my arguments were forced. Luckily the 3DS paid for itself with other titles.

More recently, I rode the Yooka Laylee hype train, bought a copy, and now it's sitting on my shelf with a save file around 15% complete. That one's not generally regarded as "crappy," but it just isn't as great as I wanted.

2 hours ago, kuriatsu said:

I'm sorry you went through that 😞

That guy sounds ultra obnoxious...Honestly, I fear becoming that kind of person because I analyze things on my youtube channel.

While I do recommend bioshock infinite, I think that, that kind of situation could persuade anyone off of something, so I don't blame you at all for staying away from it.

I don’t think you are/could be like that. You’d have to try really hard. There’s a difference between analyzing stuff and pointing out flaws and being a dick to people who enjoy those things. The dude had never even played FF3/6, he just thought Infinite was the peak of all gaming.

1 hour ago, asmikace said:

I know some people like the game but I would love Phantasy Star III be redone. The gameplay and dungeon and town design was not good but the setting was pretty cool to fit with the rest of the series and would love a remake of it.

I’m playing through the first Phantasy Star now and I keep hearing how 2 and 3 are less than stellar. I really want to just skip to 4 but I hear the stories are linked.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, The Strangest said:

Fuck that guy.

That's the kinda guy who is really stoked to know the twist ending to a movie and will smugly smirk at anyone who hasn't seen the movie yet like he has something you don't have but want. Like he's king of the goddamn world.

He's just an asshole though.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, asmikace said:

I know some people like the game but I would love Phantasy Star III be redone. The gameplay and dungeon and town design was not good but the setting was pretty cool to fit with the rest of the series and would love a remake of it.

I think the problem with III was that it was never completed to begin with, but that's a good one.  I like that game as well.  I also love the character portraits and art style.

26 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

I’m playing through the first Phantasy Star now and I keep hearing how 2 and 3 are less than stellar. I really want to just skip to 4 but I hear the stories are linked.

2 in particular is a real slog, tons of busywork, but very light on actual story. If you value your time, i recommend just reading a synopsis and skip on to 3.

16 hours ago, RH said:

Moon for DS was an amazing experience for it's time but it became repetitive and I never finished it. Using the moon as a back drop for a thriller FPS was a brilliant idea and I'm surprised more games haven't tried to duplicate the experience but improve upon it.

I still highly recommend a playthrough if you can get a copy but after a while all of the enemies and puzzles feel like more of the same. The bosses are unique but that's about it. I hesitate to say it's crappy but I'd still like for it to be a whole lot better, and I think it could have been.

You know I went to some effort a couple months ago to track that one down and not pay up for it.  I eventually did and put probably 3 chapters or so into it, however it was broken up, and you know what, I haven't touched it since.  It all started to blend together and I got bored for the reasons you just stated and now it makes sense why I stopped as I had not thought about it.  Had it varied quite a bit more, even like old FPS games of 25+ years ago, it would be more fun but it doesn't.  I probably should just sell the thing and get something more interesting, maybe since it was kind of indirectly said, Phantasy Star, PS Zero on DS is awesome.

Oh and TDI, could not agree more, and thankfully like you I held off and paid almost nothing for it or I would have been really annoyed.  It's not bad, but it's definitely not good either, and easily perceived as terrible and a betrayal by fans especially those $60 into it or anything near that.