IGNORED

What PlayStation stuff do you collect?

Hammerfestus

On 10/27/2019 at 6:46 PM, Californication said:

@Skinny, I just noticed your Genesis shelf in the photo. Now I am jealous. Those Renovation games look fun. I added Vapor Trail to my list last night. Just from the videos it is my personal favorite. 

A better look at the genesis shelf 😄 

I don’t know about vapor trail. I think I have played it. 

I really like sol deace. Bio hazard battle is a surprise of a good game too. I want to get insector x had it cb but sold it would like a cib copy. 

069F1E7C-02CD-4459-8465-8519AEA004A8.jpeg

On 10/28/2019 at 4:02 PM, Philosoraptor said:

I've mostly collected for Sony consoles and handhelds since I got a fat PS2 for Christmas in the early 2000s. I've tried to get the best of each NTSC library (to my taste) and imported quite a few PS1, PS2, and PS4, and PSP games as well. 

Right now, I'm looking to find a better hookup for my PS2s to my TV. I've got an off-brand S-Vid hookup, but it doesn't produce a clear picture on my HDTV. Do y'all have any recommendations for a really good third-party S-Vid cable, or should I really pony up the coin to buy the official one?

23 hours ago, Pendragonx said:

Does your TV have component connections? the PS2 component cables are pretty cheap.. I *think* retrobit makes them? I use them and the picture is great

Otherwise, TheMetalJesus reviewed the #Pound HDMI cable for the PS2 on his youtube and it didn't look all that bad really (i think it was like ~$30)

I have the hdretrovision component cables and they seem pretty nice imo. I don’t have any experience with the other cables for ps1/2 though. 

On 10/28/2019 at 3:45 PM, Philosoraptor said:

I see you Harmful Park, you expensive bastard you. How is that game? By the time I was importing, it was too rich for my blood.

I’m a pretty tough judge when handing out compliments for a game. But that harmful park is really fun! It looks beautiful too. Component on my pvm is amazing. So many bright colors, the animation is fantastic and fun. The gameplay is easy and funny. It’s a really cool game.

the only cons imo is it’s a short game, it’s pretty easy and.... The Price! Holy shit. I paid high dollar for mine but it’s in really good condition w/spine card. And I been wanting it for a while. So I got it. From a guy on Nintendoage actually.

*coughs* sorry glovesie i love you buddy! 

4 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

A better look at the genesis shelf 😄 

I don’t know about vapor trail. I think I have played it. 

I really like sol deace. Bio hazard battle is a surprise of a good game too. I want to get insector x had it cb but sold it would like a cib copy. 

069F1E7C-02CD-4459-8465-8519AEA004A8.jpeg

I saw the corner Valis lll and thought it was Vapor Trail they're both blue. Vapor Trail looks kind of like Raiden with better music and graphics. 

I was on the fence about Biohazard Battle, nice to hear.

10 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

I have the hdretrovision component cables and they seem pretty nice imo. I don’t have any experience with the other cables for ps1/2 though. 

On 10/28/2019 at 10:05 PM, Pendragonx said:

Does your TV have component connections? the PS2 component cables are pretty cheap.. I *think* retrobit makes them? I use them and the picture is great

Otherwise, TheMetalJesus reviewed the #Pound HDMI cable for the PS2 on his youtube and it didn't look all that bad really (i think it was like ~$30)

I'm really glad I mentioned this, because it jogged my memory enough to remember that I had some OEM PS2 component cables hooked up to my European fat PS3. It actually needs to hooked it up component instead of HDMI to play European PS2 and PS1 games on American TVs. I still need another set for the PS3, so I will be buying a hdretrovision component cable too. Thanks for y'all's insight!

10 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

I’m a pretty tough judge when handing out compliments for a game. But that harmful park is really fun! It looks beautiful too. Component on my pvm is amazing. So many bright colors, the animation is fantastic and fun. The gameplay is easy and funny. It’s a really cool game.

the only cons imo is it’s a short game, it’s pretty easy and.... The Price! Holy shit. I paid high dollar for mine but it’s in really good condition w/spine card. And I been wanting it for a while. So I got it. From a guy on Nintendoage actually.

*coughs* sorry glovesie i love you buddy! 

Awesome! I'm really glad it lives up to the hype. It always looks really fun in gameplay vids. Glad you managed to snag it from glovesie. 🙂

11 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

...I want to get insector x had it cb but sold it would like a cib copy. 

If you're curious, the original Taito arcade version is included in Taito Legends 2 for the PS2. The graphics are completely different and there are gameplay differences as well. It's much closer to a cute 'em up because Taito didn't like Hot-B's original intention for the game, which was more or less what we got on the Genesis.

IMO, I think the Genesis version is a bit better because they made some improvements to the weapon system from the arcade version. 

Edited by Philosoraptor

I didn't play a lot of PS2 games as I was an Xbox fanboy back then until PS3 came out, so I missed out on some great stuff.  Recently got a wild hair and started buying some PS2 games, recently horror stuff.  I actually bought the entire Silent Hill series from PS1 to PS3 as I hadn't played any, Clock Tower 3, Siren, Haunting Ground, Resident Evil 1-3, and got Rule of Rose coming Monday.  Got a handful or so more I wanna get them maybe I'll stop for a while and play through all those.  I want to get the Twisted Metal series, the rest of the Resident Evils, and some other various games.  PS2 is so fun to collect for, there's so many games!

• 1 month later...
Editorials Team · Posted

RPGs mostly

...and just on PS1 and PS2.  I dumped my sizable PSP collecition and don't plan on replacing it, and I have about zero interest in PS3 collecting.

Knowing what my PS1 collection I dumped is worth nowadays is kind of a tough pill to swallow, but it's been fun hunting each one down again.

Editorials Team · Posted
On 10/26/2019 at 4:44 PM, Bubbapauls said:

@MrWunderful

I really want to play RayStorm and RayCrisis.  Everyone always says those are awesome.

I got RayStorm from Software Etc's used bin for $9.99, and Ray Crisis for $4.99 new at Hastings.  Those were the days.

Like the Tales of Destiny 2 stack at Best Buy for $9.99 new.  Damn my lack of clairvoyance!

I have made good progress in the last five years rebuilding the sets though.  Remaining stuff I used to have that I still need to replace:

Silhouette Mirage

Einhander

Suikoden II (I sold two of them, argh!)

Xenogears

Vagrant Story

Lunar

Lunar 2

Breath of Fire 3

Legend of Mana

Parasite Eve II

Saiyuke

Valkyrie Profile

Final Fantasy IX

Final Fantasy Chronicles

Fear Effect 2

Dragon Warrior VII

Legend of Dragoon

Tactics Ogre

Mega Man X4

Symphony of the Night

Shadow of the Horned Rat

Resident Evil DC

Suikoden III

Suikoden IV

RAD

Odin Sphere

Growlanser Generations

Xenosaga III

Indigo Prophecy

Whatever else I can't think of at the moment.  Probably dozens more.

Currently, I basically have what I want for PS1/2/3, PSP and Vita but am still working on PS4 stuff. 

I was within 15 titles of having a full NA-retail Vita set, but sold most of it along with a majority of my collection in late 2018. 

For PS4, I have well over 100 titles but will probably scale back/sell some to focus on finishing up my PSVR set. 

I didn't know about the Clubs section until just recently, so I've missed this completely.

The PS1 is probably my favorite system and the only system I collect for where I would actually like to complete the set someday.  That goal seems pretty far away right now.  At my last check, I had around 525 PS1 games, of which about 475 are unique titles which is only slightly more than 1/3 of the set.  

I also have large collections of the other PS systems, but when it comes to PS2/3/4, I'm usually only interested in games that I want to play.  

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 12:29 PM, TDIRunner said:

I didn't know about the Clubs section until just recently, so I've missed this completely.

The PS1 is probably my favorite system and the only system I collect for where I would actually like to complete the set someday.  That goal seems pretty far away right now.  At my last check, I had around 525 PS1 games, of which about 475 are unique titles which is only slightly more than 1/3 of the set.  

I was surprised not to see you in here.  Makes sense now.  

My PS1 collection is pretty similar; somewhere in like the 500 - 525 unique title range. It’s pretty daunting and I think I’ve given up on my fullset dreams.  I’ve sold off a couple of my more pricey titles in the past few months.   I’d like to pare down to a more manageable set but I have no idea how I’m going to get rid of the 18 iterations of Gameday, Shootout, and Faceoff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/4/2020 at 11:21 AM, Hammerfestus said:

I’d like to pare down to a more manageable set but I have no idea how I’m going to get rid of the 18 iterations of Gameday, Shootout, and Faceoff.

You know, for the right price, I would consider them.  Despite the size of my PS1 collection, I don't have all that many sports games.  I'm more of a believer in acquiring the higher priced  titles first and worry about the cheap common stuff later.  But I always pick them up if I find them super cheap at Goodwill.  

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

You know, for the right price, I would consider them.  Despite the size of my PS1 collection, I don't have all that many sports games.  I'm more of a believer in acquiring the higher priced  titles first and worry about the cheap common stuff later.  But I always pick them up if I find them super cheap at Goodwill.  

I don’t know that for most of them I ever intentionally acquired them it was more that pretty much every lot I ever picked up had a couple in there.  

Things are pretty hectic around here with a new baby in the house but when I get a chance I will dig out the bin that has them all and I’ll give you a heads up.

1 minute ago, Hammerfestus said:

I don’t know that for most of them I ever intentionally acquired them it was more that pretty much every lot I ever picked up had a couple in there.  

Things are pretty hectic around here with a new baby in the house but when I get a chance I will dig out the bin that has them all and I’ll give you a heads up.

Definitely no rush on something like that, and no worries if you change your mind.  I only mention it because, as you pointed out, they wouldn't be easy games to move.