IGNORED

The Legend of Dragoon

Br81zad

18 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

Im ashamed to admit I’ve never played it.  I’ve has it collecting dust for years but never got around to it.  I’ve only heard good things though.  

Man, you gotta get on that. The Additions system is pretty easy to pick up and keeps you engaged in the battles. It's very similar to the "timed hits" system in Mario RPG, but with deeper leveling and more options. FF loyalists knock it because they just want to press a button and have the attack carried out. 😜

On 10/22/2019 at 5:00 PM, Hammerfestus said:

Im ashamed to admit I’ve never played it.  I’ve has it collecting dust for years but never got around to it.  I’ve only heard good things though.  

I'm in the same situation .. it sits there on my shelf guilting me for not having tried it yet .. #toomanygamestoplay

• 1 month later...
Editorials Team · Posted

I got to the final area before I lost my save.  Like, on the moon, save point right before the boss.

Honestly?  Absolutely couldn't stand it.  I find the praise bewildering in fact.  But I'm the one in the minority so I'll accept that I must be the one who missed something.

And this isn't a 20 years late opinion trying to see it through a retro lens.  I bought and played it when it was fresh on the Greatest Hits label, probably right after I played through Final Fantasy VIII.

Administrator · Posted

It isn’t my favorite RPG on the system (tough competition there!) but I did enjoy it.  It has been a long time since I played it though.  I may give it another go at some point.  I don’t replay RPGs much but I am currently replaying FF9 after beating it when it first came out (I love it hah!).

Editorials Team · Posted
10 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Easily one of the best RPGs on the console tbh. 

Yeah, see I don't understand that, at all.

Graphics?  Dated even at the time.  Though the rendered stuff isn't bad.

Grinding?  To the extreme.

Linearity? On rails.

Side stuff?  Non existent.

Bloat?  Hooray for a 50 hour on-rails quest, most of that spent in the random battles.

Translation?  Horrid.

Story?  Garbage.  Maybe the translation is to blame.

Characters?  Paper thin.

Battle system?  Oh god, kill me.  So slow, so much loading, so frequent, so much reliance on the stupid additions just to do rudimentary damage.  The transformations add absolutely nothing.  If I was forced to play through the game again I think the battles would cause me to openly weep.

Now to be fair, that's all going by 20 year old memories.  And I'm kind of a harsh critic on the likes of Final Fantasy VII, Chrono Cross, Legend of Mana, the Parasite Eves, and many other RPGs on the system.  But I'd still take any of those over LoD.  Easily.  Hell, LoM is barely a game, and I still like it more.

Not to take anything away from you guys.  Consider me the devil's advocate.  Kind of like how everyone hates Brandish while I love it.  So consider that my hot take.

But anyone new to the game... well, consider yourself warned.  Reactions to this title are varied...

• 2 weeks later...