IGNORED

Most obscure food you have eaten

Jeevan

Moderator · Posted

I tried gator bites, but oddly enough it was at a low key ski resort in Massachusetts. Make of that what you will.

Some of the more interesting things I’ve eaten was during my trip to Portland, OR in 2018 where I tried pig’s ears, foie gras profiteroles, and bug cookies. I also recently tried pig tails here in DC during Restaurant Week, basically like a really fatty chicken wing.

• Wow! 1

Taking a different direction (towards "sweets") I seem to be the only American that likes Swedish licorice (the salty kind) and I like "The Beverly" coke product you use to be able to try at World of Coke or at Disney World years ago.

The Beverly wasn't a soda intended to chug but was a pallet cleanser.  Understanding that, and sipping it, I found it refreshing and suited towards it's intended purpose. 

Edited by RH

1 hour ago, RH said:

You know, I don't think I've eaten many "weird" foods personally, but I will say I grew up eating SPAM, Vienna Sausages and Deviled Ham.  I haven't eaten any of those meets in probably 20 years but I'd not be opposed and I can't say that I wouldn't enjoy the experience.

I've never had SPAM, although I wouldn't be opposed to trying it. One of my favorite Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern episodes had him sharing various strange foods with kids from around the world. They each brought something "strange" from their countries, and Andrew brought some stuff from America. However, the one thing that raised the most eyebrows was something we've probably all eaten: hot dogs.

One of them asked what's in 'em, and Andrew couldn't tell them. They weren't about it.

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

Canned bread?!? Wow, never heard of it before!

I've had shrimp crackers many a times here.

Canned bread is supposedly a regional food in the USA. I think it's more popular in the Northeastern USA. The recipe on the back of the can suggests topping slices of it with baked beans and optional hot dog slices.

I get shrimp crackers at the local Asian grocery stores. They look like this here:

1b907e77-0006-493a-b00d-7fc82da0973a_1.c

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

Heh, anyone who was in the military when c-rations were still a thing knows about canned ... everything. 😛

I haven't had the pleasure of eating military rations. I've heard they range from decent to inedible. 

The strange thing about the canned bread is it's sold in grocery stores. I got mine from Kroger.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Philosoraptor said:

I've never had SPAM, although I wouldn't be opposed to trying it. One of my favorite Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern episodes had him sharing various strange foods with kids from around the world. They each brought something "strange" from their countries, and Andrew brought some stuff from America. However, the one thing that raised the most eyebrows was something we've probably all eaten: hot dogs.

SPAM is a great one to have in the pantry as a back-up item, along with oil-packed canned tuna.

It is good for 2 - 3 years, is safe to eat as-is, but is greatly improved with a quick fry in a skillet.

Makes decent breakfast sandwiches. And if you want to cube it, does a good corned-beef-hash style meal. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

Or, you know, just don't eat the part of the chicken that stomps in shit all day and cannot possibly be adequately cleaned...

Reminds me of the one and only time I bought a pig hoof for my dog.   That thing smelled like literal shit any time he got going on it, and we finally threw it out.

Just now, arch_8ngel said:

Do you also eat those Mary Jane's peanut butter bars?  Or chick-o-stick?  You're THAT guy? 😛😉

I am also that guy!  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RH said:

Taking a different direction (towards "sweets") I seem to be the only American that likes Swedish licorice (the salty kind) and I like "The Beverly" coke product you use to be able to try at World of Coke or at Disney World years ago.

The Beverly wasn't a soda intended to chug but was a pallet cleanser.  Understanding that, and sipping it, I found it refreshing and suited towards it's intended purpose. 

Is there a vomiting emoji here yet?   After we tried Beverly (and its lovely bile aftertaste) we spend a decent chunk of time watching other people try it.

• Like 1

God i wish i could remember exactly what it was, but it was some African dish the teacher's, well, "wife"(Something about Green cards) had us make in Middle school. Also stuff like Mochi, Yan Yan(like Pockey, except higher quality), and i guess Venison, because unless you go the old fashon way, deer meat is not easy to get a hold of

Edited by PineappleLawnchair

1 hour ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Is there a vomiting emoji here yet?   After we tried Beverly (and its lovely bile aftertaste) we spend a decent chunk of time watching other people try it.

Ahahaha... I really would like to know what percent of us "typical" Americans can stomach that stuff, much less enjoy it.  I know it's weird.  I'm not going to deny it.  I heard so many people say that stuff was soooooo nasty, when I went, read the info card and sipped it, I just thought "That's not bad!" I took another sip and decided everyone else was just wrong.  Hahaha.

1 minute ago, BriGuy82 said:

Mary Janes are delicious. 

My son has a severe peanut allergy and since we basically 100% keep all forms of peanut out of the house, I miss Mary Janes soooooo much more.  But, I miss boiled peanuts the most. I only allow myself to get the cajun kind once when we are on vacation in Myrtle Beach, because most convenient shops have them down there.  I will literally drive myself to a gas station, eat a giant cups worth outside the shop and then drive home and have my clothes cleaned so that my kids doesn't get it on or near him.

Is that weird to anyone? Maybe? I don't know.  When you love a certain food and have to avoid it because of someone else, you only want it all the more and you do what you have to do. I also think my wife still cries over missing peanut butter every now and then, but at least she can have almond butter which is close.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RH said:

You know, I don't think I've eaten many "weird" foods personally, but I will say I grew up eating SPAM, Vienna Sausages and Deviled Ham.  I haven't eaten any of those meets in probably 20 years but I'd not be opposed and I can't say that I wouldn't enjoy the experience.

Heh - the British couldn't get enought SPAM when we sent it to them loaded on Liberty ships in WWII..........

• Haha 1