IGNORED

Most obscure food you have eaten

Jeevan

Events Helper · Posted

Several years ago I went to Florida for the first time.  I love fresh seafood.  What is the most obscure food you have tried.  Whilst I was down there I tried gator bites.  This is the website of the restaurant I went to and tried them.  https://funkypelican.com/  Had apparently the grouper sandwich, even tho. I thought it was mahi mahi.  Been several years so maybe I did have the mahi mahi 🙂.  Anyway, we have a diverse group here.  Would love to hear some good eats.  I think Gator is the "weirdest" food I have eaten, can't really think of much else.  Drop a line, let me know what you have eaten, kuz I might try it if I am in the region 🙂.  It did, but didn't taste like chicken, it really reminded me more of catfish tbh.  More of a fishy flavor than chicken.  Real tender tho.

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted

After traveling to China a number of times, I’ve eaten plenty of crazy things like scorpions, turtle soup, etc.... The thing that sticks out, and not for good reasons would be a Sea Cucumber. Like a gelatinous, hairy turd that squirts liquid in your mouth at each bite. 

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

Events Helper · Posted

Sounds horrible.  Don't think I will try anything thus far but the snake and that is if I ever find it on the menu somewheres.  Ya, fermented herring no thanks 🙂 

I was waiting for your response kuz i know u are all over the world for your job.

Edited by Jeevan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, doner24 said:

After traveling to China a number of times, I’ve eaten plenty of crazy things like scorpions, turtle soup, etc.... The thing that sticks out, and not for good reasons would be a Sea Cucumber. Like a gelatinous, hairy turd that squirts liquid in your mouth at each bite. 

I was about to say, someone from China or who as been there many times is about to say "Hold my beer..."

• Haha 2

Chicken testicles, chicken feet, duck blood, duck heads, pig blood, stinky tofu, snake soup, snake bile mixed with alcohol, fish eyeball, pig gums, bone marrow (forget which animal the bones were from), fried crickets, mouse meat. This is just a quick summary of some of the delicious foods I've tried locally. 🙂

• Wow! 2

2 minutes ago, Philosoraptor said:

canned-brown-bread.jpg

Canned bread. It's not awful. Really molasses-ey. Also, shout out to shrimp crackers. Those things are delicious.

I've also had cow tongue, gator, rattlesnake, buffalo meat, octopus, crickets, frog's legs, kangaroo, and boar. I probably won't eat crickets again, but the rest are good-to-great.

You know, I don't think I've eaten many "weird" foods personally, but I will say I grew up eating SPAM, Vienna Sausages and Deviled Ham.  I haven't eaten any of those meets in probably 20 years but I'd not be opposed and I can't say that I wouldn't enjoy the experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doner24 said:

The only food I’ve been around that I haven’t even been able to muster the stomach to try is this stuff, the smell is truly the worst thing I’ve ever experienced and the videos out there can’t even do this justice. 

73CA92A5-BE2C-4C5A-BBC8-79C84D0E54CC.jpeg

Sounds like a perverted version of lutefisk (which in and of itself is a perverse food).

(Actually lutefisk is pretty bland - it does have a bit of an odor and the thought of how it is made is pretty off putting.)

Edited by Wandering Tellurian
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Moderator · Posted
34 minutes ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

Sounds like a perverted version of lutefisk (which in and of itself is a perverse food).

(Actually lutefisk is pretty bland - it does have a bit of an odor and the thought of how it is made is pretty off putting.)

As a resident of a state that has a large population of Norwegians, I have eaten Lutefisk many a times. Just the smell of this stuff makes Lutefisk taste look like Creme Brûlée. Just opening the can made 10/15 people around me Puke from the smell. Lots of videos on YouTube with this stuff.