IGNORED

The psp collecting thread!

Mae247

Just picked up a psp 1001 today!

Luckily it came with a brand new battery  and a charger and a 32 MB memory stick which is not much but it’s better than nothing.

Got three games with it:

Burnout legends

Samurai warriors state of war

Mortal Kombat unchained

Edited by Mae247

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, kuriatsu said:

Nice find! 

I still have my PSP 1001, its such a good console 🙂

I recommend the star ocean games, the persona games, and FFVII: crisis core.

There are other games that I suggest, but those are the ones that come to mind.

I almost picked up star ocean with this but I passed on it for the moment. 

I definitely welcome anyone that has suggestions on what games are awesome or under the radar.

6 minutes ago, Californication said:

I have been thinking about getting into this. I copped Castlevania Chronicles on the PS1 and think I might have been able to find the Chronicles on the PSP, Ghosts and Goblins, and a PSP for just a few dollars more.

Still learning myself.

There's plenty of awesome Japanese shmup compilations if you're into those.

Very fun system, I still have the one that I won in a bundle for $50 in the NA auctions from back in the day.   It ended at an oddball time and I think lots of people missed it.

19 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

There's plenty of awesome Japanese shmup compilations if you're into those.

Very fun system, I still have the one that I won in a bundle for $50 in the NA auctions from back in the day.   It ended at an oddball time and I think lots of people missed it.

Any you recommend?

14 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

I have the same PSP model and I love it.  It was the first "modern" system I got as everything else I owned was retro.  I have a pretty large collection of games for it too.  Congrats on your purchase!

What are some of your favorites?

I know the PSP-1001 model isn't the best for emulation, but it's doable. I often play NES or SMS when I travel using my PSP-3000. It might be something to look into later on, if you're into that.

As for games, the PSP has a great library. Admittedly, I've not played many of the UMD-based games on the PSP (I use it mostly for emulation). However, I do still collect them! Some notable series that have PSP entries are: 

Ghosts and Goblins (mentioned above)
Mega Man
Final Fantasy
Ys
R Type
Bomberman
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Grand Theft Auto
Castlevania (mentioned above)
Namco Museum
Street Fighter

I'm sure I've missed something good, but I feel that's a solid list that will likely have something you're interested in. You've just fallen into a deep gaming hole! 😄 

Administrator · Posted

I love the PSP and I have quite a few games for it.  It is an awesome console for RPGs, and there were also tons of good ports and rereleases on the system-- Persona, Castlevania, several YS entries, Final Fantasy entries, Lunar, Star Ocean, and so much more.

I loved the Patapon and Locoroco series as they were fun, simple games that were pretty relaxing and enjoyable.

If you like puzzle games, Lumines is pretty classic.

It also has some great spinoff titles - like Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (which was actually WAY better than I expected), 3rd Birthday, etc.

All in all, I feel it has a pretty well-balanced library with lots of good options, particularly if you are a fan of Sony licenses or RPGs.

Some random games that I would suggest (that aren't really mentioned above) would be:
* Prinny: Can I Really be the Hero? (platform / action)
* Corpse Party (adventure / horror? it's unique and fun!)
* Secret Agent Clank (I love Clank, I can't deny)
* Jeanne d'Arc (if you like strategy RPGs)
* Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (RPG)
* Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

And I'm sure there are plenty others that just aren't coming to memory at the moment!

1 hour ago, Californication said:

I mean the soldier collection looks like a nice idea, but when I look at the gameplay video's and then turbo grafx gameplay video's it doesn't look as good. Any one have a first hand experience?

You're talking about comparing something optimized for a little screen vs. a home video game.   They look fine on the PSP, and probably up to about a 15 inch flatscreen.

And yes, I have first hand experience with both.

18 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

You're talking about comparing something optimized for a little screen vs. a home video game.   They look fine on the PSP, and probably up to about a 15 inch flatscreen.

And yes, I have first hand experience with both.

Right, that's what I am asking. I would want to play it on the tv through hdmi. Do you think it scale badly  was on a playstation tv?

Edited by Californication

ok, now that I have my PSP umds in front of me...prototypes aside...

I've got jeanne d arc, final fantasy tactics, persona 1, 2(innocent sin) and 3, Ghost in the shell, breath of fire III, megaman maverick hunter X, Megaman powered up, little big planet, and star ocean 1 and 2. 

I highly recommend jeanne d arc, persona 1-3, maverick hunter X, and star ocean 1 and 2 of those.

edit: Oh! I also have .hack link which is also super good and I recommend all games in the .hack franchise

Edited by kuriatsu