Jump to content
IGNORED

Megaman 64 vs Megaman Legends


phart010
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Gloves said:

Legends. The N64 version is a poor port. 

I don't know if I'd go that far but in most cases if a game was released for two or more platforms, the version that is was originally meant for is in most cases the better version.  Not to mention the other two games in the Legends trilogy (Legends 2 and Tron Bonne prequel) are PS1 exclusive.

Boy am I glad I got the trilogy new in the early 2000s on Capcom's three for $50 deal at the time!  I also have guides and transcripts of all three games over at GameFAQs if you wanna check 'em out. 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, austin532 said:

It's definitely not on par with the RE 2 N64 port. Not only is Legends better but it's also cheaper. I'd only get it if you find it for cheap.

Yeah, don't expect to find Tron Bonne or Legends 2 like that.  Especially in CIB (which you should always get for disc games)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, austin532 said:

Legends 2 has gone way down over the years. I remember when it was $100+ for a CIB one. Tron Bonne is still pricey. Still the most expensive on the system IIRC.

I guess it's a good thing I picked it up when I did!  It is worth the money though, it's a very cute/funny game 🙂  At least nowadays if you can't afford the game you can at least watch the cutscenes/playthrough on YT.

Edited by Estil
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Estil said:

Yeah, don't expect to find Tron Bonne or Legends 2 like that.  Especially in CIB (which you should always get for disc games)

 

7 hours ago, austin532 said:

Legends 2 has gone way down over the years. I remember when it was $100+ for a CIB one. Tron Bonne is still pricey. Still the most expensive on the system IIRC.

Capcom actually had an online store back in the PS1 days, but it was a terrible 90s quality type thing before the online shopping boom. Anyways, before it closed, they clearanced out all their games, so I got Tron Bonne for $3. I didn't have the foresight to buy 20 copies, but the game was really not considered anything special back then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's some remnants of the old store. Oof!

https://web.archive.org/web/20020601161809/http://www.capcom.com/xpml/game.xpml?gameid=450013

 

Shantae for $24.95.....double oof! If we only knew. Remove the decimal point and that's about what a new one goes for these days. LOL

https://web.archive.org/web/20040804070944/http://www.capcom.com/xpml/game.xpml?gameid=650022

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mega Man 64, due to the updates it had.  Yes the audio wasn't as good, no argument there.

I've played both, it sucks the audio (voices mainly) are very tinny/muffled like a Genesis cart, but the rest I like more.   Anything frmo just the no load times from a CD, fast save/load times,, rumble support, to the analog controls on one end of it. The graphics seem nicer, detail and all that, though there is more fog I prefer that over the pop in on PS1.  I like the softer anti-aliasing, it's not overkill like in some games, and things in places are just more colorful including the last boss.  I remember the old reviews in the time pointed out how they redid the camera so it worked a little better, and they'd change/expand the walkable spaces in areas leaving you less confined with Capcom claiming twice the environments to explore.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those who are curious about the differences between the PS1 and N64 versions, here's a list from the MegaMan Home Page (www.mmhp.net):

The voices had to be down-sampled in order to fit on the cartridge, but all of the voice samples are here. None of them were cut from the game.

You can play using the control pad or the stick; unfortunately, they didn’t bother to correct the play mechanics now that they had analog control (just as in Legends 2) so using the analog controller is essentially digital control with a stick. Also the stick is somewhat over-sensitive.

The graphics have anti-aliasing, and suffer less from improper clipping and “holes” in the polygons. However they are basically exactly like the PSX graphics; none of the polygon models were altered. Also most objects that glow (the refractors, energy barriers, etc.), rather than actually looking bright and glowing, end up looking dark and non-glowing in this game.

There is rumble support, but it doesn’t activate very often, mostly just when you get knocked down.

The PSX version never had that much load time, so the lack of it here isn’t that noticeable. However saving and loading to the cartridge is naturally a lot faster.

The game records to the cartridge the various modes you’ve unlocked, so you don’t have to do anything fancy when you want to start a new Hard or Easy game (despite what Data says).

You can’t play the CD samples in the electronics store. Not a big loss; I’d rather have voice instead.

The music played during the credits is different (again). In fact here it’s not even special music; it’s just one of the normal town tunes.

The manual is somewhat inaccurate. But then again most of the Legends series manuals have errors, so this isn’t unique to this game alone.

The clipping plane is closer in the N64 version than the PSX one. That means you’ll see a lot more fog.

Worst of all, there is sporadic slowdown in this game. The view starts getting jumpy whenever there are too many objects visible on the screen. Even the text boxes suffer from slowdown in some locations.

 

PS: (this is me talking again) Probably the most blatant example of a HUGE goof in the Legends manual is when Tron is called the eldest daughter of Teasel Bonne...Tron and Teisel are siblings.

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/8/2020 at 10:30 PM, Tanooki said:

Mega Man 64, due to the updates it had.  Yes the audio wasn't as good, no argument there.

I've played both, it sucks the audio (voices mainly) are very tinny/muffled like a Genesis cart, but the rest I like more.   Anything frmo just the no load times from a CD, fast save/load times,, rumble support, to the analog controls on one end of it. The graphics seem nicer, detail and all that, though there is more fog I prefer that over the pop in on PS1.  I like the softer anti-aliasing, it's not overkill like in some games, and things in places are just more colorful including the last boss.  I remember the old reviews in the time pointed out how they redid the camera so it worked a little better, and they'd change/expand the walkable spaces in areas leaving you less confined with Capcom claiming twice the environments to explore.

Finally, a post with actual details. I was wondering what the actual differences are between the two, thanks. Haven't played either but I'd like to one day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...