IGNORED

What lost media most interests you?

mbd39

It's not exactly lost, but I'm so curious to see the two existing episodes of Turn-On from 1969... the sketch comedy show that caused so much outrage that stations were yanking it off the air during the first episode.

Unfortunately it's not anywhere on the internet. You have to go to the Paley Center for Media in New York. Just put it on Youtube already!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn-On

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1

There are a number of lost movies that I would like to see. Too many to name.

The original pristine moon landing footage is also lost. We have bad transfers of it, but NASA astoundingly recorded over the originals.

For video games, it might have never even made it out of the planning stages, but Color Dreams' Hellraiser game would have been neat to see.

Edited by Tulpa

There are four sound Charlie Chan movies that have vanished in the sands of time that I would like see surface:

1) Charlie Chan Carries On (1931) - There is a Spanish language version of this (Eran Trece) that was shot on the same sets with a different cast and crew - both versions were shot on the same days .  This version still exists.

2) Charlie Chan's Chance (1932)

3) Charlie Chan's Greatest Case (1933)

4) Charlie Chan's Courage (1934)

16 minutes ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

For what it is worth it was truly wretched.   At least the first one was - I watched it when it was broadcast

It was supposed to be similar to Laugh In but wasn't funny and was much cruder in its attempts at humor.

I've heard that it's that bad and unfunny, but it's also supposed to be bizarre which makes me curious to see it. I listened to a podcast where they said that it would be perfect for Adult Swim because it fits into that Tim &  Eric and Adult Swim style of odd anti-humor.

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

I've heard that it's that bad and unfunny, but it's also supposed to be bizarre which makes me curious to see it. I listened to a podcast where they said that it would be perfect for Adult Swim because it fits into that Tim &  Eric and Adult Swim style of odd anti-humor.

From what I recall a lot of it was like some Monty Python sketches where you scatch your head because they make no sense whatsoever (and not in a good way).

• Like 1

Beatles final appearance on Ed Sullivan in 1966 (and only appearance in color) is wiped and lost forever. Most of Paul McCartney's 8mm home movies from the Sgt Pepper era were allegedly "stolen by fans" and never turned up again. Lennon/McCartney appearance on The Tonight Show in 1968 was permanently wiped by NBC.

Most of the broadcast footage of Wilt Chamberlain's greatest games were permanently wiped, including the 4th quarter and championship celebration of the Lakers 1972 championship, which is interesting because the 1971, 70 & 69 NBA Finals are well preserved. 1967 Philadelphia 76ers championship was permanently wiped. Many of Wilt's greatest defeats are preserved. I've often theorized somebody in the league office or in control of ABC's master tapes had an extreme bias against Wilt and did this intentionally. But it's hard to say. Almost all broadcast footage of John Havlicek and Billy Cunningham in their primes were also permanently wiped.

For videogames I am most interested in the original 1990 version of Sonic The Hedgehog, and Zero Racers for Virtual Boy

Edited by trj22487

Events Team · Posted

Video Game : Marble Madness 2, fully developed, but never released. Rumors say that three working cabinet are in collectors' possession, but no one wants to offer the ROM publicly. I really wish this change at some point to play the damn thing on emulator at the very least.

Clip of gameplay :

Movie : Sergei Eisenstein's Bezhin Meadow (1937), which is believed to be lost forever (but we can still hope for a twist). What's even more annoying about this lost movie, it's that a very interesting visual document was preserved. The first and last image of every shots have been preserved and put together, so we have a really good idea on how much the movie looked artistically incredible, but we still don't have it in its complete form. It is ironically cruel.

Visual document :

Cartoons : French version of Mézga Aladár különös kalandjai, which I used to watch when I was young. It was a very odd and interesting cartoon, which was about a little boy passionate about science that would travel in space during the night in his inflatable rocket. Every episode was about a different themed planet (2 dimensions planet, musical planet, fairy tales planet, etc.), The show was made in Hungary by the turn of the 1960's and 1970's, under a communist regime, which probably explain the complete lack of an English version of the show. The whole episodes are on youtube in Hungarian and German, but I really would like to listen again to the French translation of my youth.

Here's a link to the first episode (two dimensions planet), tothose interested, skip to 7:15 to watch the rocket sequence and see the awesomeness of the 2 dimensional planet :

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

Video Game : Marble Madness 2, fully developed, but never released. Rumors say that three working cabinet are in collectors' possession, but no one wants to offer the ROM publicly. I really wish this change at some point to play the damn thing on emulator at the very least.

Clip of gameplay :

Wow, had no idea. Always after all those games I played of Marble Madness during those NA contests I was like, weird how they never made another, that there could have been so many levels, and a level editor would be cool too to create different courses. This unreleased sequel looks a bit strange, but still looks fun.

Events Team · Posted
14 minutes ago, MeganJoanne said:

Wow, had no idea. Always after all those games I played of Marble Madness during those NA contests I was like, weird how they never made another, that there could have been so many levels, and a level editor would be cool too to create different courses. This unreleased sequel looks a bit strange, but still looks fun.

Indeed, a level editor would have been so cool for a game like Marble Madness. That sequel screw up some of the nicest things about Marble Madness, like first, introducing too much obvious figurative elements (like the marble man, my god hahaha!), while much of the aesthetic charm of the original game is that the environments are almost completely abstract. But still, the gameplay is still the same, also there's apparently much more levels in the sequel than the original, and you can play up to three players, so yeah, definitely something that would interest any fan of the original. Maybe some day...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

Indeed, a level editor would have been so cool for a game like Marble Madness. That sequel screw up some of the nicest things about Marble Madness, like first, introducing too much obvious figurative elements (like the marble man, my god hahaha!), while much of the aesthetic charm of the original game is that the environments are almost completely abstract. But still, the gameplay is still the same, also there's apparently much more levels in the sequel than the original, and you can play up to three players, so yeah, definitely something that would interest any fan of the original. Maybe some day...

Yeah, it didn't need any of that silly stuff and things unrelated to the whole marble premise, just more courses to expand on the original and more traps and intricate fun challenging levels. Not any propellers or marble men. Seems they were trying to turn it into a character, but didn't even get it, the marble and the whole game was the character, no need for a silly face, typical mascot stuff.

Honestly, this is something I never think about because I can get passionate about things I want/like.  It's tough for me to think about anything that is legit, 100% unobtainable so I tend to not think along those lines.

But, off the top of my head, there are many Dr. Who episodes that I know were lost because back in the 50s, 60s and 70s, reusing your tape-media was what everyone did without giving it a second thought, and I guess that makes since.  Even by the 70s, if institutions like the BBC kept every real, of every minute of TV they produced, it would have been a HUGE warehouse of tapes and would have been extremely expensive to own and keep properly climate-controlled. Oddly, I'm not a huge, old school Dr. Who fan and my interest even dwindled after Matt Smith's run, but I'd still be interested in watching any of the old episodes, if they were newly discovered just because they would be "newly discovered".

I don't know really i mean i don't collect old media like that to know what was lost. Whatever i do like exists. But Return of Double Dragon was supposed to be more fleshed out i wish they could've done what they wanted. Also DD Advance i think they wanted to make use of the full storage of the cart but were made to contend with much less. But that game has a lot going for it already.

I used to collect slides and still have some sitting in a box. My stepdad has years and years of slides that he got printed from his own photos that he took when he used to travel the world (he worked for a global company and got to go to some really cool places). I always thought it was really cool how you could get a slide projector and sit down together in a dark room and have a slideshow (that's where the word comes from!). Sure you can do this with digital photos and a projector now but you know what I mean. I also like how you can hold the slide up to the light and see the photo in a tiny form. 

50 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I don't own any, but I've always been fascinated by laser discs.  I would definitely snatch some up if I ever found a player and discs for cheap, but it's not something I'm willing to invest much money into.  

There was another similar format which is pretty interesting. It flopped hard and helped ruin RCA.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I don't own any, but I've always been fascinated by laser discs.  I would definitely snatch some up if I ever found a player and discs for cheap, but it's not something I'm willing to invest much money into.  

Laser discs are at the age where they are all succumbing to disc rot. Apparently they are pretty susceptible too from what I have read. Maybe you won't have to invest much!

I'm probably among the last generation to remember when filmstrips were shown in schools...I'd sure like to see more of those posted on YT and I'm surprised there aren't.

Also one of my all time favorite kids shows back in the today (that I wrote letters to constantly) was Color Me a Rainbow from 1987 that used to be on the ACTS cable channel.  I did the Wikipedia article for it and I have a complete set of the tapes (no VCR) but it sure would be nice if that too could be on YT...I can't believe no one else anywhere on the internet remembers or mentions this show.

3 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

Laser discs are at the age where they are all succumbing to disc rot. Apparently they are pretty susceptible too from what I have read. Maybe you won't have to invest much!

That's too bad because I would actually want to use them.  

I also wouldn't mind getting my hands on an old Sony Minidisc player.  I actually love all old music and video media.  If I had the space, I would probably collect that stuff as well, but I force myself to limit what I collect (just video games) because eventually it gets to be too much.  

1 minute ago, TDIRunner said:

This YouTube channel has had a lot of interesting videos on older media.  He has an entire multi-part episode on laser discs which I found really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy0tKL1T7wFoYcxCe0xjN6Q/videos

Looks like he has even had some videos on the RCA CED @mbd39

His videos are where I learned about CED.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

His videos are where I learned about CED.

That's funny.  I will have to watch those for sure.  Have you watched his laser disc series?  I couldn't believe how interesting something like that could be.

Unfortunately, I don't really have time to watch his videos.  I usually have them on in the car and I just listen to them while I drive home from work.