IGNORED

Sam's Journey on the NES has finally begun!

Knights of Bytes

Boot Testing Sam's Journey On Real Hardware

Hi there, video gamers!

It's always exciting to check if the game we're currently creating runs on real hardware, so let's give it a quick spin on the good old NES!

Boot Testing Sam's Journey On Real Hardware
Sam's Journey Booting On Real NES

There's also a video showing the boot sequence on our website.

Fun fact: The game does indeed have sound, but the camera's microphone somehow didn't catch it. However, it did catch the squeaking lid! 😄

Stay tuned for more updates.

Chester Kollschen
Knights of Bytes

Website · Facebook · Twitter · YouTube

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The World Of Sam

Hi there, video gamers!

Sam begins his journey at the bottom of the Lowlands. But this is only a small part of the world he's about to travel!

Luckily, he has a map at hand which guides him through the many different locations, such as dark forests, rocky mountains, dangerous deserts and frozen caves.

mapout.border.optimized.gif.782bda64a342351c55125491df74ffaa.gif
Map Of The Lowlands Where Sam Begins His Journey

In total, 3 overworld maps, 27 huge levels and over 2000 screens are waiting to be explored!

More info about Sam's Journey on the NES on our website.

Stay tuned for more updates! 😃

Chester Kollschen
Knights of Bytes

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2022 at 9:31 PM, a3quit4s said:

You seem to be very far along!

You're absolutely right: Sam's Journey on the NES is virtually complete! 😃

We are currently designing and creating the physical editions of the game, requesting quotes from hardware manufacturers and setting up the distribution stuff.

On 9/7/2022 at 9:31 PM, a3quit4s said:

Is there a spot where we can pre-order or were you still planning on a Kickstarter?

As the game already exists, we feel that Kickstarter might not be the ideal platform to use. However, we still need some kind of commitment from our inclined audience so that we can handle the costs for the development, production and shipping.

A pre-order sounds like a fair split of risk. We don't have a pre-order page yet though... How about a tiny registration form where people drop their e-mail address, and in turn, we inform them about the start and the location of the pre-order? Would that work?

16 minutes ago, Knights of Bytes said:

You're absolutely right: Sam's Journey on the NES is virtually complete! 😃

We are currently designing and creating the physical editions of the game, requesting quotes from hardware manufacturers and setting up the distribution stuff.

As the game already exists, we feel that Kickstarter might not be the ideal platform to use. However, we still need some kind of commitment from our inclined audience so that we can handle the costs for the development, production and shipping.

A pre-order sounds like a fair split of risk. We don't have a pre-order page yet though... How about a tiny registration form where people drop their e-mail address, and in turn, we inform them about the start and the location of the pre-order? Would that work?

Whatever helps you tell me how and when to buy the game lol. I’ve seen people on kickstarter with completed games who are crowdsourcing for the parts to assemble the carts, manuals, boxes, etc. as a side note. I did see the link on the Sams homepage for poly.play but I wasn’t sure if that was for a paid ROM or a physical CIB

I think @matthughson had a good experience with launching Witch n wiz on limited run, he maybe able so answer some questions if your interested in that route. 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I did see the link on the Sams homepage for poly.play but I wasn’t sure if that was for a paid ROM or a physical CIB.

Neither, nor! 🙂

poly.play are also a reseller of the C64 version of Sam's Journey. You may have stumbled upon the article pages of that C64 version in their store.

poly.play will eventually produce and distribute the NES version of Sam's Journey as well, but the article pages for the NES version aren't set up yet. We're going to offer both a physical boxed edition (complete with box, cartridge, manual and some additional goodies) and a digital download edition. They will most probably be different articles in the store to avoid confusion. For those buying a physical boxed edition, the digital download will be included.

4 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Whatever helps you tell me how and when to buy the game lol

Thanks, will do! 😄

5 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I think @matthughson had a good experience with launching Witch n wiz on limited run, he maybe able so answer some questions if your interested in that route.

Thanks for this reference! I've already met @matthughson in a chat where we talked about his Retrobrew Magazine. 👍

Edited by Knights of Bytes
accidentically submitted before finished

38 minutes ago, Scrobins said:

If you’re looking for a publisher, VGS would also be happy to help and leverage our partnership with Mega Cat. Let me know and feel free to PM me if interested!

That's a very kind offer, thanks! 👍

As it happens, Mega Cat Studios featured Sam's Journey in their Weekly Dose of Gaming News in 2020 and briefly teased the very early NES version of the game as well.

2 hours ago, Scrobins said:

If you’re looking for a publisher, VGS would also be happy to help and leverage our partnership with Mega Cat. Let me know and feel free to PM me if interested!

I should remember to lead with this vs kickstarter and LRG since I’m not really a fan of either lol. @Knights of Bytes maybe we can get enough people together for a VGS edition of the game!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Sam in 3D?

Hi there, video gamers!

After a COVID-19-related hiatus, we're back with a new post!

sam2d3d-02.jpg.052098ce3108ce6fe0aef0eba7790f19.jpg
2D Sam meets a 3D version of himself

What's happening here? Is Sam done with 2D and planning his leap into the third dimension??

Of course not, but that 3D version of Sam may have something to do with the limited Ultimate Edition which we are currently creating for Sam's Journey on the NES!

Stay tuned for more updates! 😃

Chester Kollschen
Knights of Bytes

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Your game runs very smoothly and has many features, including smooth scrolling in four directions, character switching, dynamic backgrounds, the ability to step on monsters, and the ability to climb. The graphics are beautiful, and it must have taken a huge effort to implement all of these functionalities. It's a fantastic game, and I wish you success!

• Love 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

sorry for the delay - we must have missed the new post notifications... 😮

On 3/4/2023 at 4:09 PM, zxdplay said:

Well done, the game looks great!!!

Your game runs very smoothly and has many features, including smooth scrolling in four directions, character switching, dynamic backgrounds, the ability to step on monsters, and the ability to climb. The graphics are beautiful, and it must have taken a huge effort to implement all of these functionalities. It's a fantastic game, and I wish you success!

Thank you very much, @zxdplay!

You're right, we put a whole lot of work into the game to get it right. But it's very rewarding work! 🙂 Now we're really excited how Sam is going to do in NES community.

On 6/15/2023 at 5:09 PM, Scrobins said:

Check out the latest episode of A Homebrew Draws Near, covering Sam's Journey!

Thank you, @Scrobins!

Those who consider pre-ordering Sam's Journey will find some more information about the game and its creators in your comprehensive article. The interview was fun as well, especially your question "do you identify with Sam?" We've never been asked that before! 😄

Chester Kollschen
Knights of Bytes

• 2 weeks later...

Sam's Journey NES Standard Edition Revealed!

Hi there, video gamers!

What would a new game for the NES be without a nice physical edition?

We're back to present you the first impressions of the upcoming Sam's Journey NES Standard Edition, distributed by poly.play!

A Beautifully Decorated Cardboard Box

The Standard Editon of Sam's Journey comes in a standard-sized NES cardboard box.

1a.jpg.84f65ff0b6b6e130c7692ba03b380dec.jpg
Sam's Journey NES Standard Edition As Distributed By Poly.Play

The box will be shrink-wrapped by poly.play in order to protect it from damage on its way to you.

Even More Beautiful Content

Instead of the infamous polystyrene distance piece, we put in a little treasure chest with some additional extras!

2d.jpg.de20fa8fc925b436cdabfecc095b4bfb.jpg
Sam's Journey NES Standard Edition As Distributed By Poly.Play

Here's what you get:

• Game Cartridge (either PAL or NTSC) With Dust Sleeve
  • Beautifully-Designed Manual
  • World Map Of The Game (all in-game maps merged into one)
  • Treasure Chest Themed Distance Piece
  • Sachet With Diamonds From The Game
  • Seven Sam Costume Cards

Pre-Orders Open In July!

Sam's Journey for the NES will be available for pre-order in July.

Create a customer account at poly.play to be ready!

Stay tuned for more updates! 🕹️🙂

Chester Kollschen
Knights of Bytes

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Sam's Journey NES · Development Bloopers

Hi there, video gamers!

In game development, things don't always work as expected... For example, the transportation device in this short video clip wasn't supposed to fall, let alone jump!

Fortunately, this issue is fixed in the release version! 😃

You can now pre-order Sam's Journey at poly.play:

Never heard of Sam's? Please find information here:

Chester Kollschen
Knights of Bytes

• 3 weeks later...

Sam's Journey NES: First Batch In Production!

Hi there, video gamers!

We're happy to announce that the first batch of Sam's Journey for the NES is in production!

sams-journey-nes-box-and-cartridge-5a87d920.jpg.a47c9f88828282943fbbf9dcbf78e5e5.jpg

A big thanks to our three-digit early birds who already placed their pre-order! You rock!

Want a copy, too? Pre-order Sam's Journey at poly.play:

Never heard of Sam's? Please find information here:

Chester Kollschen
Knights of Bytes

• Love 2