IGNORED

Ranks & Badges Discussion Thread

Gloves

I just did a quick import count, and sure enough I have 99.  I guess I need to find another if I want the 100 badge.  

Just to clarify, an import is anything from a country outside of the one you live in correct?  So for me being in the US, both PAL and Japanese games would be imports.  Is that correct?

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, TDIRunner said:

I just did a quick import count, and sure enough I have 99.  I guess I need to find another if I want the 100 badge.  

Just to clarify, an import is anything from a country outside of the one you live in correct?  So for me being in the US, both PAL and Japanese games would be imports.  Is that correct?

That is correct. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/10/2020 at 7:32 AM, Gloves said:

That is correct. 

Wait... what?  I live in Canada but only collect US and Japanese games exclusively; so this means every single video game I own is an "import" by this definition, except for my copy of French NES Kirby.  Cool way of looking at it, I guess...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

If it were up to me, I would argue that an import needs to come from a different continent as I don't really consider games from Canada or Mexico to be imports for me in the US.  But honestly, I don't care how the rule is interpreted since we are just talking about charms. They way they are doing it seems to work fine.    

Administrator · Posted

TBH regions are weird. But yes - to say that Canadians such as myself could use US games as "imports" is both technically true and also kinda weird. 

The majority of my games have come from the States. Maybe 25-50% or more of those have Canada specific versions (i.e. they have French on them, unlike the US versions). I'd consider the Canadian versions as variants though, rather than full blown different in terms of "import".

But it's like... they ARE imports. Any US games I have have literally been imported to Canada.

For the sake of these awards though, Canadians can't call US versions "imports". The same basic principle will apply for elsewhere as it makes sense.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Are you anywhere near me? We should hang out. We could be besties!

Haha yeah once the pandemic is over we can assemble a "Canada Crew". If you've ever passed-by someone on the TTC that looked like a scene-kid version of Scott the Woz, that might've been me...

-CasualCart

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, CasualCart said:

Haha yeah once the pandemic is over we can assemble a "Canada Crew". If you've ever passed-by someone on the TTC that looked like a scene-kid version of Scott the Woz, that might've been me...

-CasualCart

You just described every dude in Toronto my man.

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this has been requested but if this is verifiable, there should be a badge for donating to @Gloves annual play in support of Sick Kids. 

Ok, so I understand that many people might do charity events and some might say this is problematic because "what about other members pet, charity drives?"  True, but Gloves is a stellar member who, let's be honest, not only keeps the lights the place running but was also instrumental in getting this place off the ground.

And @Gloves, thanks for doing what you do.  Both hear on this site, and with your charity drive.  As an admin, if you absolutely, 100% refuse to create a badge for such a thing, maybe we can rally a few community discussions and work together to create an annual VGS charity event, similar as yours, and badges can be handed out that way.

To be clear, the badges aren't about bragging.  It's about seeing the generosity of the community and being inspired and motivated to join in and care about a positive community cause.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
On 10/20/2020 at 9:18 AM, RH said:

I'm not sure if this has been requested but if this is verifiable, there should be a badge for donating to @Gloves annual play in support of Sick Kids. 

Ok, so I understand that many people might do charity events and some might say this is problematic because "what about other members pet, charity drives?"  True, but Gloves is a stellar member who, let's be honest, not only keeps the lights the place running but was also instrumental in getting this place off the ground.

And @Gloves, thanks for doing what you do.  Both hear on this site, and with your charity drive.  As an admin, if you absolutely, 100% refuse to create a badge for such a thing, maybe we can rally a few community discussions and work together to create an annual VGS charity event, similar as yours, and badges can be handed out that way.

To be clear, the badges aren't about bragging.  It's about seeing the generosity of the community and being inspired and motivated to join in and care about a positive community cause.

I'm personally not against this. And I appreciate the kind words. If nobody thinks it's untowards, I'd be happy to set this up. I'd also not be against badges for other peoples' charity drives, as long as it doesn't get out of hand. Don't wanna play favorites if it can be helped.

On a side note, you should now start seeing people earning this Bauble:

merch.png.e39e04e81cf91f3ef1a0abc2229a0f

Merch Wearer
Own wearable merch from the Official VGS Store!

If you think you should have it, but you don't, try logging out then back in. That should work!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

I'm personally not against this. And I appreciate the kind words. If nobody thinks it's untowards, I'd be happy to set this up. I'd also not be against badges for other peoples' charity drives, as long as it doesn't get out of hand. Don't wanna play favorites if it can be helped.

it would be better to make a generic and then add numbers like the homebrew badge.  this way it keeps the "politics out of this area"  it could be a negative factor if someone see someone else with a badge that is not in lines with their ideals.  so generic as possible would save us all a lot of heart ache later...