IGNORED

Ranks & Badges Discussion Thread

Gloves

13 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

The second: you can easily verify a full set for a dead console or series, but what about series that are still being produced? If someone gets verified for Animal Crossing today, do you check with them again when New Horizons comes out to make sure they still have a full series???

I liked the way this worked on NA (and correct me if I'm not remembering this properly). You would get the "badge" for completing it. When the game series gets a new release, it gets added to the requirements (pending approvals). All new submissions would require the new release. Folks that had obtained the "badge" already get to keep it. They do not need to get the newly released game. If that's _not_ how it worked and this was just an idea in my head, then I say we go with this 😄 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Splain said:

Neat idea, but I personally don't want to see too much emphasis on the "likes" etc because you can see what happens to the conversations on sites that do.

7 hours ago, Gloves said:

Agree. You get a little reputation number under/beside your name and I think that's plenty enough recognition personally.

That's fair, but at the same time it also encourages engagement, and while people will always be dicks/trolls/shitlords it'd be a nice feature. I'd personally put it in with some caveats and/or restrictions in place (Like not including certain subforums), and make it so you can essentially shadowban users that abuse such things.

10 hours ago, ninjistar said:

I liked the way this worked on NA (and correct me if I'm not remembering this properly). You would get the "badge" for completing it. When the game series gets a new release, it gets added to the requirements (pending approvals). All new submissions would require the new release. Folks that had obtained the "badge" already get to keep it. They do not need to get the newly released game. If that's _not_ how it worked and this was just an idea in my head, then I say we go with this 😄 

That's the way I remember it too, and I think it's the best way to do it. The entire thing is on the honor system anyway because it's not really important enough for admins to take the time to truly police the thing.  (I wouldn't wish that on anyone)

On 2/13/2020 at 10:43 AM, MiamiSlice said:

Yeah, I'm about to drop the first few worms. The first: I love having these for series because that's what I like to collect, but if it's done then I ask that some attempts be made to balance the sizes of the series. Collecting every Mario game ever made would be a lot to ask, but having Mario Tennis or Mario Party as a series would be really cool

just spitballing here, but i'd imagine if there's a "Mario" award it would just be mainline Mario games but wouldn't include sports/kart/party/offshoot titles. But now that i'm putting more thought into it, what would all count for the main mario series?

Donkey Kong?
Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 1-3
Super Mario World 1-2
Super Mario Land 1-2 (3?)
Mario Clash?
Mario RPG?
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy 1-2
Super Mario 3D Land / 3D World
New Super Mario Bros (DS, 2, Wii, WiiU) (Super Luigi U?)
Mario Odyssey
Mario Maker?

i'm sure there's stuff i'm not thinking of too.

• Like 1

For Mario I would hope it's all the main line platforming adventure titles.  Nothing creative (Mario Paint, Maker), nothing doing a sport(kart racing, tennis, golf), or any other bizarre junk.  Donkey Kong would kind of open another can of worms adding that, dk jr, dk classics perhaps as well.  The rabbit hole could even get worse with Mario Bros too, and the ereader card copies of them, not to mention SMB game & watch original, crystal, and keychain.

@Gloves I'm working on a full NA Fire Emblem set. I have a question about Fire Emblem Fates. There are 3 releases: Birthright, Conquest, and Special Edition (which has all 3 versions, Birthright, Conquest, and Revelation on the cart). Would it be considered enough to just have the Special Edition in my set? Or would I need to have all 3 of the releases? I'm hoping it's the former. 

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, MiamiSlice said:

@Gloves I'm working on a full NA Fire Emblem set. I have a question about Fire Emblem Fates. There are 3 releases: Birthright, Conquest, and Special Edition (which has all 3 versions, Birthright, Conquest, and Revelation on the cart). Would it be considered enough to just have the Special Edition in my set? Or would I need to have all 3 of the releases? I'm hoping it's the former. 

We've not really gone over those specifics, but I'm personally thinking it should be "own a version of each mainline game physically". In that case yes, the SE which has them all would count. 

I won't promise anything, but that's my personal thinking. 

Only concern there is we might have to make exceptions, cuz like where do we draw the line? 

The Mega Man collections on Switch for instance could potentially be instant cheap tickets to saying "I own every Mega Man game!". We'd probably have to say "excluding collections which include every game in a series" or something. 

34 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Only concern there is we might have to make exceptions, cuz like where do we draw the line? 

The Mega Man collections on Switch for instance could potentially be instant cheap tickets to saying "I own every Mega Man game!". We'd probably have to say "excluding collections which include every game in a series" or something. 

One way to draw the line could be to say that if a re-release counts towards the set, it has to be released within a certain number of years of the original, or within a certain console generation.  That would prevent compilations released on modern consoles covering games that were released during the NES era.  

Just a thought.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

One way to draw the line could be to say that if a re-release counts towards the set, it has to be released within a certain number of years of the original, or within a certain console generation.  That would prevent compilations released on modern consoles covering games that were released during the NES era.  

Just a thought.

In this regard I understand why NA required that you have the original release for each entry in a series. So Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition came out simultaneously with the other versions (Birthright and Conquest) and would count (I would argue it's the only one that counts, because the other two only have 1/3 of the game each, but that's cruel). Where this gets hairy is a series like Dragon Quest that has a lot of ports. So you would need the original release for each entry, like for North America, that would be Dragon Warrior on NES, not Dragon Warrior 1 & 2 on Game Boy Color or Dragon Quest 1/2/3 on Switch. It would also mean Dragon Quest VIII for PS2, not Dragon Quest VIII for 3DS. This is where things get interesting - Dragon Quest VIII for PS2 is cheaper and easier to find than the one for 3DS. You aren't actually cheating by having a later version. 

The no compilations rule is a good idea too. The only exception I would make to that is if an entry appearing on that compilation is the first time that entry has appeared in that region (like Collection of Mana is the first and currently only official appearance of Seiken Densetsu 3 in North America). 

But if you don't allow compilations to count, how do you treat series like Pokemon or Mega Man Battle Network that sometimes do rollup entries? Like Mega Man Battle Network 5 had an updated version on DS that combined the two versions of the game into one cart. I think according to the rule at NA, that version didn't count for anything. Would you view that as a compilation? I'm thinking probably. Another example would be Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky. It's a standalone entry that combines the content from Explorers of Time and Explorers of Darkness. It's not really a compilation. If someone were going for a complete PMD set, how would you even handle that? Keep in mind the entries go like this: 

1. Red Rescue Team / Blue Rescue Team (which have an expanded remake version on Switch as Rescue Team DX)
  2. Explorers of Darkness / Time (which have a combined updated version as Explorers of Sky)
  3. Gates to Infinity
  4. Super Mystery Dungeon

And also keep in mind that Explorers of Sky will run you over $80 CIB while Darkness and Time are at most $30 each CIB. 

Lastly, one more wrench - if you allow later standalone entries then does the Mega Man X reissue from iam8bit count for the Mega Man X series? It's not officially licensed by Nintendo but it is officially licensed by Capcom. There's a can of worms 🙂

Edited by MiamiSlice

Administrator · Posted
14 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

In this regard I understand why NA required that you have the original release for each entry in a series. So Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition came out simultaneously with the other versions (Birthright and Conquest) and would count (I would argue it's the only one that counts, because the other two only have 1/3 of the game each, but that's cruel). Where this gets hairy is a series like Dragon Quest that has a lot of ports. So you would need the original release for each entry, like for North America, that would be Dragon Warrior on NES, not Dragon Warrior 1 & 2 on Game Boy Color or Dragon Quest 1/2/3 on Switch. It would also mean Dragon Quest VIII for PS2, not Dragon Quest VIII for 3DS. This is where things get interesting - Dragon Quest VIII for PS2 is cheaper and easier to find than the one for 3DS. You aren't actually cheating by having a later version. 

The no compilations rule is a good idea too. The only exception I would make to that is if an entry appearing on that compilation is the first time that entry has appeared in that region (like Collection of Mana is the first and currently only official appearance of Seiken Densetsu 3 in North America). 

But if you don't allow compilations to count, how do you treat series like Pokemon or Mega Man Battle Network that sometimes do rollup entries? Like Mega Man Battle Network 5 had an updated version on DS that combined the two versions of the game into one cart. I think according to the rule at NA, that version didn't count for anything. Would you view that as a compilation? I'm thinking probably. Another example would be Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky. It's a standalone entry that combines the content from Explorers of Time and Explorers of Darkness. It's not really a compilation. If someone were going for a complete PMD set, how would you even handle that? Keep in mind the entries go like this: 

1. Red Rescue Team / Blue Rescue Team (which have an expanded remake version on Switch as Rescue Team DX)
  2. Explorers of Darkness / Time (which have a combined updated version as Explorers of Sky)
  3. Gates to Infinity
  4. Super Mystery Dungeon

And also keep in mind that Explorers of Sky will run you over $80 CIB while Darkness and Time are at most $30 each CIB. 

Lastly, one more wrench - if you allow later standalone entries then does the Mega Man X reissue from iam8bit count for the Mega Man X series? It's not officially licensed by Nintendo but it is officially licensed by Capcom. There's a can of worms 🙂

tl;dr: Why Gloves isn't racing to get going on these.

• Like 1