IGNORED

Ranks & Badges Discussion Thread

Gloves

Administrator · Posted
8 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

it would be better to make a generic and then add numbers like the homebrew badge.  this way it keeps the "politics out of this area"  it could be a negative factor if someone see someone else with a badge that is not in lines with their ideals.  so generic as possible would save us all a lot of heart ache later...

I'm not sure I understand - what ideals do you picture being hurt, or what politics do you imagine being part of this?

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Hammerfestus said:

That seems really impractical.  Are they like resealable?  Or are they like those ones they changed to when I was in high school.  Do you poke it with a big straw?

Lol no; you just leave it open in the fridge. You snip just the corner, then pour.

Editorials Team · Posted

I got used to bagged milk in Brazil. The pitchers were common; some people empty the bag into the pitcher, some just plop the bag in and still pour it from the bag, using the pitcher. I considered getting one, but I got good enough at not spilling it that I just kinda leaned it against the side of the fridge and didn't really have any problems. It is weird though, keeping a liquid in a bag like that. The Brazilians were equally amazed to learn about bottled milk.

Anyway, I'd like a charm for "drank milk that came in a bag" plz.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Jeevan said:

you have a jug......... for a bag.......of milk........ 😐

This has always seemed weird to me, but now that I see it usually goes in a jug, they are likely using less plastic for these things than our jugs, so that's a good thing for the environment.  Plus if the bag is 100% recyclable, I don't think our colored caps are (or at least, most people don't recycle them) so that's a compounding problem by itself.

I doubt milk-in-a-bag is an environmental choice, but it's likely better than what we do.  @Gloves Do you guys tend to rinse out your bags and recycle them?

Administrator · Posted
49 minutes ago, RH said:

This has always seemed weird to me, but now that I see it usually goes in a jug, they are likely using less plastic for these things than our jugs, so that's a good thing for the environment.  Plus if the bag is 100% recyclable, I don't think our colored caps are (or at least, most people don't recycle them) so that's a compounding problem by itself.

I doubt milk-in-a-bag is an environmental choice, but it's likely better than what we do.  @Gloves Do you guys tend to rinse out your bags and recycle them?

I do, and you're supposed to yes. Whether most people do or not I couldn't say. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Splain said:

I got used to bagged milk in Brazil. The pitchers were common; some people empty the bag into the pitcher, some just plop the bag in and still pour it from the bag, using the pitcher. I considered getting one, but I got good enough at not spilling it that I just kinda leaned it against the side of the fridge and didn't really have any problems. It is weird though, keeping a liquid in a bag like that. The Brazilians were equally amazed to learn about bottled milk.

Anyway, I'd like a charm for "drank milk that came in a bag" plz.

i read this as "i got used bagged milk in Brazil" and i was horrified. had to re-read it twice before i caught the missing word. 

• Wow! 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Jeevan said:

so the shirt one broken eh?

Sigh.

Yeah I dunno what's up, but the criteria for buying a shirt that I explicitly set up for this purpose, for some reason, seems to give to to specific people despite having never bought a shirt.

For some behind the scenes, it's technically simple logic (the following is example code I just wrote here on the fly to demonstrate):

const user = {
  purchases: [
    {
      id: 123,
      item: 2
    }
  ]
};

let purchaseFound = false;
for(var i = 0; i < user.purchases.length; i++) {
    if (user.purchases[i].item == 1 || user.purchases[i].item == 2 || user.purchases[i].item == 4 || ) {
        purchaseFound = true;
        break;
    }
}
if (purchaseFound) {
  awardBauble();
}

Basically if the user has purchased one of the shirts (IDs in the database are 1, 2, and 4), then award them the Bauble.

It LOOKS like it was giving it to people who were subscribed, SPECIFICALLY under tiers 1, 2, and 4, which leads me to believe that the logic behind this "user has purchased" function is flawed and is checking against both systems somehow. That definitely shouldn't be happening, but I'd not necessarily doubt it.

I'm going to look into it a bit further, but frankly worst case we go back to the stone age and hand them out manually. One way or another people will get this site award, it's just a matter of "can I make this easier on myself for the long run?". 

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Jeevan said:

🤯

Anyway, can we hand them out manually?  Like if someone asks me i can give it to them?  Verification needed of course, so i can look at the thread, or they can send me a pic of their shirt?

Up to you, if you want to do it automatically or whatnot.......

I'd like to try and resolve the automatic approach before resorting to manual efforts. But yes, in due time if that fails then we can do it manually. It'd actually be easy for me to get a list of people who should have it.

• Like 1