New to DS and 3ds collecting

Mae247

35 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Top 5 for me, not counting ports or games that saw deluxe 3DS releases

Henry Hatsworth

Contra 4

Advance Wars Dual Strike

Professor Layton (any of them)

I just realized I didn't put my top 5. Nice list as well. I don't know if I can put just 5 lol. So here are 12

Digimon world DS

Dragon quest monsters joker

Dragon quest monsters joker 2

Dragon quest heroes rocket slime

Drone tactics

Mario kart DS

Pokemon black/white

Yu-Gi-Oh world championship 2011

Advance wars dual strike

Geometry wars galaxies

Mega man battle network 5 double team ds

Tingles Rosy rupeeland

7 hours ago, Makar said:

Well clearly I need to pick it up then.

Wait a minute, you ONLY have 10 DS games??? You gotta step it up my friend. Get to that 50 mark like you said lol.

I'm not looking to be a DS collector.  I got one at a garage sale just up my street last summer and I've slowly just snapped up things I find locally I care to waste my time on a bit.  I did that just weeks ago too with the red 25th anniv wii which I'm still not 100% certain I'll keep (probably will) so I haven't even added it to my game inventory officially.  If I had the time and the interest I'd grab a heap of DS games, like you said, 50.

If you like Hotel Dusk, Another Code/Trace Memory is the same style and maker.

Picking my top 5 DS titles would be hard but here's my best attempt: 

1. Professor Layton and the Last Spectre (the whole quadrilogy on DS really)
  2. Solatorobo
  3. Warioware DIY
  4. KORG DS10+
  5. Nintendogs (any version)

This list doesn't include all the stellar ports like Kirby Superstar Ultra, Chrono Trigger, Shiren the Wanderer, etc. There's also a ton of games I haven't played yet. 

7 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

Picking my top 5 DS titles would be hard but here's my best attempt: 

1. Professor Layton and the Last Spectre (the whole quadrilogy on DS really)
  2. Solatorobo
  3. Warioware DIY
  4. KORG DS10+
  5. Nintendogs (any version)

This list doesn't include all the stellar ports like Kirby Superstar Ultra, Chrono Trigger, Shiren the Wanderer, etc. There's also a ton of games I haven't played yet. 

I don’t know why but I have been resisting buying nintendogs for some reason.

The DS and 3DS are both amazing systems with tons of great games. Unfortunately, DS prices has really gone up over the past few years. Castlevania Order of Ecclesia used to be all over amazon for $20 new and now complete copies are selling for $100. I bought tons of games when GameStop clearanced everything out online a few years ago- you could get good games for around a dollar shipped. They were loose of course, but still a great deal. 

On the flip side 3DS prices are pretty much at rock bottom for most games so it is a great time to be picking up anything interesting. Game Stop has decent prices on many games but I’m finding complete copies in my local stores are decreasing.

I would say there is over 200 DS potentially worth owning depending on someone’s taste and around 100 on 3DS

16 hours ago, Makar said:

I like your list! Drone tactics is in my top 5 for sure. I have commando steel and dark spire. Haven't played them yet though but I need to. Commando steel looks like metal slug, or is it different?

Yep, Commando Steel Disaster is a Metal Slug clone, but it's a great game.

The Dark Spire won't be for everyone. It is an old school dungeon crawler, sticking to the roots much more so than the Etrian Odyssey series. It takes a LOT of inspiration from Wizardry, which is probably my favorite rpg series of all-time. It's also very challenging - not in combat (you can always grind up to beat mobs) but in figuring out how to navigate floors. and I had to use a guide for the last 1/3rd of the game or so.

7 minutes ago, snes_collector said:

The DS and 3DS are both amazing systems with tons of great games. Unfortunately, DS prices has really gone up over the past few years. Castlevania Order of Ecclesia used to be all over amazon for $20 new and now complete copies are selling for $100. I bought tons of games when GameStop clearanced everything out online a few years ago- you could get good games for around a dollar shipped. They were loose of course, but still a great deal. 

On the flip side 3DS prices are pretty much at rock bottom for most games so it is a great time to be picking up anything interesting. Game Stop has decent prices on many games but I’m finding complete copies in my local stores are decreasing.

I would say there is over 200 DS potentially worth owning depending on someone’s taste and around 100 on 3DS

Yea, they throw stuff out. A local person found a trash bag of over 300 cases in their dumpster a few months back during the holidays.

Ds, 3ds, ps vita, ps3 were the majority of the empty cases.

21 minutes ago, snes_collector said:

These numbers sound right to me but I also like some obscure games that aren’t worth owning (like Slingo Quest or Spanish for Everyone) so I’m going for a few more than this.

1 hour ago, MiamiSlice said:

These numbers sound right to me but I also like some obscure games that aren’t worth owning (like Slingo Quest or Spanish for Everyone) so I’m going for a few more than this.

I think I have a similar Spanish cart for the original game boy?

44 minutes ago, Mae247 said:

I think I have a similar Spanish cart for the original game boy?

That's probably InfoGenius Spanish Translator, I have that too. 

Spanish For Everyone! isn't really a Spanish learning game or a tool. It's marketed as an educational game but it's actually pretty weird and slightly offensive. https://crappygames.miraheze.org/wiki/Spanish_for_Everyone

Sadly I still don't have a copy for my collection, but eventually I will 🙂

13 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'm not looking to be a DS collector.  I got one at a garage sale just up my street last summer and I've slowly just snapped up things I find locally I care to waste my time on a bit.  I did that just weeks ago too with the red 25th anniv wii which I'm still not 100% certain I'll keep (probably will) so I haven't even added it to my game inventory officially.  If I had the time and the interest I'd grab a heap of DS games, like you said, 50.

If you like Hotel Dusk, Another Code/Trace Memory is the same style and maker.

Ah gotcha. Well maybe 30 titles then lol. Meet in the middle. Is that the Wii mini? If so, you didn't want one with backwards compatibility for GameCube games?

3 hours ago, BreaKBeatZ said:

Yep, Commando Steel Disaster is a Metal Slug clone, but it's a great game.

The Dark Spire won't be for everyone. It is an old school dungeon crawler, sticking to the roots much more so than the Etrian Odyssey series. It takes a LOT of inspiration from Wizardry, which is probably my favorite rpg series of all-time. It's also very challenging - not in combat (you can always grind up to beat mobs) but in figuring out how to navigate floors. and I had to use a guide for the last 1/3rd of the game or so.

Gotcha. Dark spire probably isn't my kind of game then but I do need to give commando steel a shot sometime. Commando steel is a pita to find complete.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Makar said:

Ah gotcha. Well maybe 30 titles then lol. Meet in the middle. Is that the Wii mini? If so, you didn't want one with backwards compatibility for GameCube games?

No, it's the full sized limited release red one for the 25th anniversary.  It's just red, came with a red rubber grip on the controller which is wiimotion plus inside, still has the gamecube doors on top.  The box came with WiiSports and NewSMB in the sleeves.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

No, it's the full sized limited release red one for the 25th anniversary.  It's just red, came with a red rubber grip on the controller which is wiimotion plus inside, still has the gamecube doors on top.  The box came with WiiSports and NewSMB in the sleeves.

Oh yeah that is cool. I need to upgrade my black one to a red one. I love me some red systems. 

On 2/4/2020 at 8:09 PM, Makar said:

Quick, top 5 favorite DS games, and go!

It’s hard for me to say definitively because I’m constantly digging through that library. In no particular order, some of my favorites:

Final Fantasy III and IV, Dark Spire, Retro Game Challenge, Kingdom Hearts 358/2, Orcs and Elves, Pokemon Black, etc.

When I was younger and had more time I was waaaay more into turn based RPGs than I am today, and today my tastes have started to lean towards platformers and action RPGs for their faster gameplay. I still love JRPGs, it’s just a difficult piece of media for me to consume these days. In that regard, I’m really enjoy Legend of Kage 2 for the DS right now and I’m trying to track down good copies of Contra 4, Aliens Infestation, Avalon Code, etc.

(PSP has a lot of decent ARPGs, but that’s a topic for a different thread)

While I’m rambling, I’ll mention that Bravely Default and Kid Icarus Uprising are my favorite 3DS games.

Edited by The Strangest

On 2/4/2020 at 8:36 AM, Tanooki said:

I have a suggestion, and knowing the collector base here it could vanish.  (To All) Have you ever experienced Learn With Pokemon Typing Adventure?  This is the ONLY pokemon game never given a US release amazingly enough.  It got both a Japanese and multi-region/box EU release too.  The game is unique it's like Mavis Beacon/Mario Teaches Typing mixed with Pokemon having a whole story, pokedex, capture mechanic and research tasks all around typing so it's like Typing of the Dead.  It comes with a full blown bluetooth keyboard, and if you get the ENGLISH EU release it's US standard QWERTY.  Normally it goes like $80+ on ebay new, but Amazon has a US listing from a US seller for $30-35 shipped brand new.  I got it and it's amazing and you can double down using the keyboard for any bluetooth device (phone, tablet, consoles, etc.)  Hell of a deal really at that price.

See for yourself: https://www.amazon.com/Learn-Pokémon-Typing-Adventure-DS-Nintendo/dp/B0096763KY

Just arrived! Thank you for this one 🙂

10894EE3-3E6C-472C-A29E-0A4DF549BF2E.thumb.jpeg.6ce3d1c482d5dd0c0c0709fc453aa5f7.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mae247 said:

I’m so happy my thread helped someone snatch up something they wanted!

Agreed.  I only had just on accident found out about it before I brought it up here and Amazon was like super speed on getting it like in a day/day and a half from the order which was cool too.  I originally was going to snap up this second hand keyboard I saw on ebay, but it was with the price and shipping(US based even) still was over $20 and when I saw one for $35 shipped brand new I could have some fun with and not have to blow some considerable time tearing apart and disinfecting a keyboard with I was all about that.

Have fun with that thing, be interesting to see what you all think about it whoever may order it aside from us two. 😄  Mavis Beacon meet Poke-Research tasks go!

15 hours ago, The Strangest said:

It’s hard for me to say definitively because I’m constantly digging through that library. In no particular order, some of my favorites:

Final Fantasy III and IV, Dark Spire, Retro Game Challenge, Kingdom Hearts 358/2, Orcs and Elves, Pokemon Black, etc.

When I was younger and had more time I was waaaay more into turn based RPGs than I am today, and today my tastes have started to lean towards platformers and action RPGs for their faster gameplay. I still love JRPGs, it’s just a difficult piece of media for me to consume these days. In that regard, I’m really enjoy Legend of Kage 2 for the DS right now and I’m trying to track down good copies of Contra 4, Aliens Infestation, Avalon Code, etc.

(PSP has a lot of decent ARPGs, but that’s a topic for a different thread)

While I’m rambling, I’ll mention that Bravely Default and Kid Icarus Uprising are my favorite 3DS games.

Retro game challenge is a great one. I don't think I have legend of kage 2. I should check that out. 

I've always thought people's game tastes much like music or movie tastes are very interesting. You love kid Icarus uprising, and I thought that was one of the worst games I've ever played because the controls were so terrible. 

6 hours ago, Makar said:

You love kid Icarus uprising, and I thought that was one of the worst games I've ever played because the controls were so terrible. 

I genuinely never figured out how to control Pitt while he was walking around. I just shuffled everywhere until I lost interest. 

Uprising totally has terrible controls. I think if they released it with the “New” 3DS that has the nub, or bundled it with the circle pad attachment, it would have done better. That said, I really enjoyed the characters, story, and charm of the game. I managed to get a grip on the controls. I wish they would make it a regular franchise, but Sakurai said no.