IGNORED

do you glue your labels that are falling off?

A question for all regarding this same topic: 

what do you all think would be the best glue to use to stick a label back down?

(I’m asking because I have stuck homemade Repro labels before, with good success using Avery print labels, but I’m curious to know if a label ever starts lifting).

9 minutes ago, Lambda said:

A question for all regarding this same topic: 

what do you all think would be the best glue to use to stick a label back down?

(I’m asking because I have stuck homemade Repro labels before, with good success using Avery print labels, but I’m curious to know if a label ever starts lifting).

a glue stick will work fine as long as its not acid based.

• Thanks 1

ive never look it up if they are or not but that's what ive been using for years and have had no issue with it.  its kids glue and i think its edible so its likely non acid based.  word of advice though when you glue it.  let it dry a little till its sticky before placing the label back on or sticking it back down and glue both the cart and the label

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I always have and echo the suggestion of the purple glue stick. I made Repro games back in 2012 and applied the labels with purple glue sticks and none have ever started to lift on me. Though the Final Fantasy II/III labels that were mostly white started to turn off white in color.

LJN had the same problem. 🙂

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 8:45 PM, Link said:

I glue ‘em back on. This isn’t like removing marker where there’s a high chance of fucking up or the “repair” otherwise being noticeable.

Removing marker is easy. Go to the local art store and get what is called a "marker blender".  Its a marker pen for comic book art.  That stuff work on everything. Goes on clear, rub a few strokes, and wipe away.

Edited by Stormarov.45

For the label repairs, I use Loctite super glue and some small measure of skill to get it down and keep it there.

Loctite requires like 30 seconds to become sticky and like 5 seconds to bond after that. Just don't air it out (first 30 sec) like the bottle tells you to.  Just apply, smooth lable, then wipe the surface with a slightly damp paper towel to pick up the excess.

I've used a 3m non-wrinkle glue stick to stick some bad corners down. Usually it's just to prevent further damage. It goes on tacky so you can flatten the label to the surface and clean up whatever squeezes out if you overdid it. I try to rubberband something in place to keep pressure on the area until it sets.

Idk if they are acid free but I've had decent results. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stormarov.45 said:

For the label repairs, I use Loctite super glue and some small measure of skill to get it down and keep it there.

Loctite requires like 30 seconds to become sticky and like 5 seconds to bond after that. Just don't air it out (first 30 sec) like the bottle tells you to.  Just apply, smooth lable, then wipe the surface with a slightly damp paper towel to pick up the excess.

Damn, that's a label that will never come off.

I'd be scared to use loctite. But I am also all thumbs.

14 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Damn, that's a label that will never come off.

I'd be scared to use loctite. But I am also all thumbs.

agreed 😛

in case of me + loctite, the most likely scenario would be me glueing my finger into the label while attempting to smooth it, having it harden right there, and resulting in me tearing of the whole thing in an attempt to get my finger free....... Locktite is scary.

Edited by Mugi

On 2/1/2020 at 9:39 PM, DefaultGen said:

Yep, purple Elmers gluestick and a toothpick. Bigger issue on older 8 bit stuff. I can’t imagine why anyone would be mad at this unless it’s poorly done. What cart is so important that it needs to remain in its untouched, crappy falling apart condition rather than stuck back down?

Enjoy the restored designation on all your Heritage consignments you monster.

• Wow! 1

2 minutes ago, hyrulevyse said:

Enjoy the restored designation on all your Heritage consignments you monster.

If I got one of those crappy NWCs with the label coming up I would stick that crap back down so fast. I'm not having that thing look me in the face my entire life all coming apart like. Whoever inherits it when I'm dead can deal with my horrible destructive restoration of sticking the end label down, because it's not like I get rid of anything.

• Like 1

I would prefer gluing it back down carefully as opposed to leaving it lifted and running the risk of it catching on something and ripping it off.

If you are so picky as to not buy a game due to the label being glued back down, you probably aren't buying lifted labels either.  So as a seller, I would just glue them back down.

With that said, if you aren't careful, you could always make it worse trying to glue it.