IGNORED

Goemon 2 & 3 for SNES Have Been Translated

Plasma Man

I knew from the moment this subject was brought up that the topic would go off rails about this.

Yet I can't help feeling terrible about some of the awful worldviews that have been put forward here. Even if people are acting stubborn about their opinions at this point, I hope that at least everybody here will be able to take something with them from this debate that'll allow them to see a few more potential perspectives on the subject going forward.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

I knew from the moment this subject was brought up that the topic would go off rails about this.

Yet I can't help feeling terrible about some of the awful worldviews that have been put forward here. Even if people are acting stubborn about their opinions at this point, I hope that at least everybody here will be able to take something with them from this debate that'll allow them to see a few more potential perspectives on the subject going forward.

And just as one could make the glad mistake to think this thread was wrapped up on a friendly and respectful note, you come with this.

I've seen some very entitled, bratty and quite honestly in my opinion, awful views on societal interaction here myself. You're not alone in holding that view.

7 hours ago, Tulpa said:

No, I agree, the translator shouldn't have been attacked, but you saying you'll just translate it the same way with no thought to the transgender people that take the word "tranny" as a slur? They explained why that hurts them. And yet you would ignore that.

I dunno, man. 

If you guys are coming from this from a position of "sticking it to the SJWs", then this will never end.

Someone has to be the first to break the cycle. 

Essentially yes.  Call me a purist, but the blame falls on Konami.  As someone who could at one time translate I would have done exactly the same as that guy.  If someone got hurt, that's a personal choice.  Just as much as it is having 14000 a-holes slam dunk that guy for just translating a script of all things.  It's not like he wrote the I hate trans manifesto there, it was as translation capable direct as possible without being a mess.

Quoting trains get bulky...

cjrobot: Seems like more false equivalence there, and basically shooting at a 0.01% of that ever occurring either in such a circumstance.  One (yours) is unintentional name calling.  The translator here just took a book essentially and went from Japanese to English, so no, I would not feel remorse or bad about doing a translation.  Might as well take Huck Finn and remove n word out of every sentence, or some 50-100 year old historical newepaper or book using the word negro because someone may get upset.  Historical context shouldn't be sanitized to make everyone happy.  They can hate or appreciate it for what it is in that time, but you don't just fix things to coddle anyone who could get upset maybe somewhere at some time.  In short political correctness quite frankly is bs.

GPX: Seems like the headcase in that video.  It's rare I feel sorry for gamestop or an employee of theres, but wow, ouch.  That was over the top and entirely unnecessary.  That person needs some serious psychological help.  You're on the nose about the opening the door to unlimited rage.  I liked your movie comparison on page 5, that pretty much hit it, just as the book comparisons made already did too.  Buy hey who cares about context, time period, and original material when it's political and socially expedient to start a dumpster fire to get attention and start another crusade.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Might as well take Huck Finn and remove n word out of every sentence,

You know that actually did that back in 2011? I think this choice quote from the NY Times sums the situation up perfectly

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/07/books/07huck.html

Mr. Gribben’s effort to update “Huckleberry Finn” (published in an edition with “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer” by NewSouth Books), like Mr. Foley’s assertion that it’s an old book and “we’re ready for new,” ratifies the narcissistic contemporary belief that art should be inoffensive and accessible; that books, plays and poetry from other times and places should somehow be made to conform to today’s democratic ideals. It’s like the politically correct efforts in the ’80s to exile great authors like Conrad and Melville from the canon because their work does not feature enough women or projects colonialist attitudes.

Authors’ original texts should be sacrosanct intellectual property, whether a book is a classic or not. Tampering with a writer’s words underscores both editors’ extraordinary hubris and a cavalier attitude embraced by more and more people in this day of mash-ups, sampling and digital books — the attitude that all texts are fungible, that readers are entitled to alter as they please, that the very idea of authorship is old-fashioned.

VVV:

I hope nobody actually falls for the concern troll.

Edited by PineappleLawnchair
  • Like 3

Can you imagine any person reading this thread especially those that have not a clue what is actually going on and just skims and decides to stay clean away from it all or those that have read the entire thing and are still left wondering what the hell happened, as the intent of this thread lasted what 6 maybe 7 posts and all the rest has been a debate and even then it came rather close to going off rails in a few places. 

All in all what is done is done none of us have to agree nor disagree with what went down with the translator and whomever it was that seemed to create a cyber lynch mob, we all have our opinions and so forth most have said their peace on it and what needs to be understood this is the world we live in and regardless of peoples stance on the subject it's going to be a firefight no matter how careful one is on explaining things or just "calls it as they see it" and this covers pretty much any subject matter being race, sexual conduct, religion/politics, what have you. 

Personally I am disappointed with this whole entire thing to be honest about it. 

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Can you imagine a transsexual person reading this thread and then still feeling welcome on this website? VGS claims to be welcoming of all but then allows this horseshit to be spewed. Fucking ridiculous.

No one here has any hate for transsexuals, or anyone else on this forum, except for you.

You have zero tolerance for anyone with a different viewpoint than you, as this very quoted post is a lasting evidence of.
And whenever you're out of solid arguments, this seems - unfortunately for you - the level you'll consistently be at.

I hope you get better, sincerely, for your sake.

Edited by ifightdragons
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• The topic was locked
Administrator · Posted

Debate and discussion are encouraged here, but being hateful and attacking others is not. We'd be perfectly welcoming of a discussion of the use of the word "tranny" in an old game, and the merits or otherwise of keeping said word in-tact in a translation 30 or so years later (a'la Huckleberry Finn, indeed), IF everyone could be adults about it.

Disappointingly that is not the case. So moving on.

Also a friendly reminder from the staff that there are report buttons at the top of every post. Please do use them if you personally feel that things are getting out of hand. I originally only popped in here because I HAPPEN to use the non condensed version of the Activity feed and saw "Tranny" and was like "Goemon... tranny? Something doesn't compute...". 

Use the report button if you're legit offended, otherwise you're just telling the person that offended you that you're offended, and trust me that person doesn't give a damn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2