IGNORED

Goemon 2 & 3 for SNES Have Been Translated

Plasma Man

Goemon 2 & 3 have finally been translated!  For the people who haven't been following the translation of these games, multiple people have tried translating them over the years but have given up due to the large number of graphics and complex font compression.  This is quite an accomplishment.  Just thought I would post them in case anyone wasn't aware.  Really looking forward to playing these.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/5353/

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/5354/

Edited by Plasma Man
  • Like 4

I've always been curious about the Goemon series since I first read about the future-release of the N64 version in the US.  I never got a chance to play it, or any of the games in the series.

Can anyone give me a short description of the series and what makes it unique and great, especially compared to any other similar franchises?

45 minutes ago, RH said:

I've always been curious about the Goemon series since I first read about the future-release of the N64 version in the US.  I never got a chance to play it, or any of the games in the series.

Can anyone give me a short description of the series and what makes it unique and great, especially compared to any other similar franchises?

It's humour-based and at times multi-genre-ish adventure games. Sorta tough to describe to be honest as some are top down while others are more side scroll but (among those I have played) they are really enjoyable and great co-op games.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RH said:

In short: Superb action games with amazing sprite art. The humor is a great bonus, but not everyone's cup of tea.

• Thanks 1

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/01/28/goemon-3-fan-translator-cant-continue-quits-after-receiving-harassment-for-accurate-translation/

TL;DR: Crazy people on twitter get mad at what is said to be an accurate translation because he didn't take a hatchet to the script like NISA or Working Designs. He apologizes and leaves the industry, but the fact that it exists to begin with means he's not forgiven.

Honestly, that isn't the first time a person from HG101 went after a translator though. IIRC, another one of it's members was alleged to have committed libel against a translator from Japan.

48 minutes ago, PineappleLawnchair said:

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/01/28/goemon-3-fan-translator-cant-continue-quits-after-receiving-harassment-for-accurate-translation/

TL;DR: Crazy people on twitter get mad at what is said to be an accurate translation because he didn't take a hatchet to the script like NISA or Working Designs. He apologizes and leaves the industry, but the fact that it exists to begin with means he's not forgiven.

Honestly, that isn't the first time a person from HG101 went after a translator though. IIRC, another one of it's members was alleged to have committed libel against a translator from Japan.

Left wing political correctness to the rescue once again... Jesus.

Could we not have this here as well? -_-

There are several completely correct ways to translate this that would have been more considerate, despite the joke still being somewhat offensive. It does come across like an offensive jab from the translator's side (rather than the original game) - but what matters is that he didn't intend it as such. He just made a mistake. And instead of calling the guy out publicly and accusing him of things that just aren't correct, it would have been better to just contact him privately, and settle things peacefully.

And as much as I hate the way he was called out, the people who jump to the bandwagon in the defense of "free speech" and "historical accuracy" manage to come across even more detestable. >_>

But no. People don't want to make things better. They aren't interested in defending ideals, or fighting for respect. They obviously just want a fight. God I hate the internet some times.

Edited by Sumez

28 minutes ago, Sumez said:

It does come across like an offensive jab from the translator's side (rather than the original game)

I don't see how, considering even if you are ignorant of Japan and how insensitive they can be with this stuff, you'd likely also be the type of person who'd see the title screen and notice a gigantic Swastika. Course that all predicates on having an actual interest in the game, and not just watching a guy on twitter go "LoOk He SaId BaD WoRd!!!!"

Edited by PineappleLawnchair
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, scaryice said:

Do you think Konami would translate it that way if they released it on the Switch?

You mean that company that fused with 4kids. No, there's no way any part of that game would be left unmolested if it came out here.

Edited by PineappleLawnchair

1 hour ago, scaryice said:

Do you think Konami would translate it that way if they released it on the Switch?

Of course they wouldn't. Just like they wouldn't have used the original Japanese word they used back in the '90s. That doesn't mean anything.
The translator made a suitable translation, irregardless of time and sensibilities. And many would argue that's the best approach to translating, without losing too much context.

Edited by ifightdragons
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PineappleLawnchair said:

I don't see how, considering even if you are ignorant of Japan and how insensitive they can be with this stuff, you'd likely also be the type of person who'd see the title screen and notice a gigantic Swastika. Course that all predicates on having an actual interest in the game, and not just watching a guy on twitter go "LoOk He SaId BaD WoRd!!!!"

Did you... even read my post?

This isn't about whether Japan is insensitive or has been - I'm very aware of the wording used in the original Japanese script (which is completely different from "tranny", but still offensive). The bigger issue here is why people are so fucking hellbent on picking a fight over this thing, and you're only proving my point by trying to add fuel to the fire.

This shouldn't have been a big Twitter outrage in the first place. It's just a dumb regrettable decision.

Edited by Sumez

When translating, one has to take into account both literal meaning as well as flow / rythm, it's why some liberties must be made when translating poetry or literature.

I'd much prefer a translation that is accurate and captures the spirit or the time to one that has been censored or changed to fit better with the new audience's feelings and norms.

I'm very, very disappointed at what I've seen here.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Sumez said:

Did you... even read my post?

This isn't about whether Japan is insensitive or has been - I'm very aware of the wording used in the original Japanese script (which is completely different from "tranny", but still offensive). The bigger issue here is why people are so fucking hellbent on picking a fight over this thing, and you're only proving my point by trying to add fuel to the fire.

This shouldn't have been a big Twitter outrage in the first place. It's just a dumb regrettable decision.

Japan is insensitive. They don’t get outraged. It’s not America. It’s a different culture. People in different cultures have different etiquettes. The rest of the world doesn’t share American liberal values.

I can’t believe that with the astronomical achievement of translating these games, people found a way to turn a celebration into complaints to the point of guilting a translation hero into quitting his volunteer efforts. Way to go. 

You don’t have to throw the baby out with the bath water. Take the parts you like, leave the rest

• Like 3

Dude uses an inaccurate homophobic slur, then claims he is the one being harassed.  Oh the irony.

The issue isn’t about translators and rom hackers stuffing their radical political views into projects, it is about how they are victims!  Classic deflection.  What a bunch of cry babies who can’t handle any criticism or take responsibility, best to dip out and let the clown car roll in to defend your honor.

Jeez this could have been handled a lot better, but now it is unlikely to change now that culture war gooners are getting involved in order to “pwn the trannies” or something.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

47 minutes ago, fox said:

Dude uses an inaccurate homophobic slur, then claims he is the one being harassed.  Oh the irony.

It's not a question of being an inaccurate translation, even the guy who started the complaints admits it is a suitable replacement, meanwhile you seem to think "homo" and "trans" are interchangeable.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PineappleLawnchair said:

It's not a question of being an inaccurate translation

But it isn’t totally accurate, they could have kept the original Japanese word instead  if they wanted to keep it “accurate” or use a less loaded word instead of making the language more politically charged.  The translation community has an awful track record with this, they have been pushing an agenda for awhile to bait a fight.

Act smarter than everyone then claim ignorance about their intent while doubling down.

Just another dog whistle to rustle the jimmies of trolls who promote hate speech while hiding behind cries of “censorship”

• Like 3

It would be better IMO, because then the translator is just paraphrasing the original text, rather than inserting their own slur as a part of a localization. But at the same time, the original meaning is preserved without any censorship, and no one has any excuse to complain.

16 hours ago, fox said:

Honestly, I thought his post was pretty honest and respectable. He apologized, that he wasn't aware of making the mistake, and I don't doubt that the resulting twitter shitfest has affected him pretty heavily. People get fired up in online arguments, and it's not pleasant for people caught in the crossfire. It's really too bad it hit him like this, and like I started out saying - the people who had a problem with the way the translation was handled, should have just addressed him personally, and talked it out, before trying to blow up a storm.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sumez said:

It would be better IMO, because then the translator is just paraphrasing the original text, rather than inserting their own slur as a part of a localization. But at the same time, the original meaning is preserved without any censorship, and no one has any excuse to complain.

^Totally agree with this.  The original language has its problems too, but would have been more accurate and less biased.