IGNORED

Famicom Disk System collectors - anyone else collecting these?

c0op3r

SO i recently got interested in adding a Famicom Disk System to my retro gaming setup - I have one about 20 years ago and thought it was neat, but never really understood it.

I recently was watching some videos and looking at things online and kinda got interested again.  I bought a drive off eBay from Japan and got it a few months ago, somethng about loading the disk is just kinda neat and fun.  I started buying games, I have been trying to stay to the ones that are good playable games by English speakers, or signification to the system.  I have also picked up a few small collection that were just good prices.

I made up a couple of Disk sleeves for ones that did not seem to have them originally.

I also created a Fb group if anyone is interested:  Famicom Disk System Collectors

83037122_277742206520130_8668436406508453888_n.jpg

83067581_635022393913061_8902647467149885440_n.jpg

84026149_1275149416018659_2135069328498753536_n.jpg

84067989_181689102941017_8442714494756454400_n.jpg

84089662_3010349452342873_6286717929518006272_n.jpg

84694603_189334068939858_4967152144797925376_n.jpg

Edited by c0op3r
Cause I cant seem to type

I usually dislike any form of mechanical storage media, but those Famicom disks are pretty cute, and I've really had no issues with any of mine so far (knock on wood).

For my collection I do try to stick to disks that weren't released as cartridges either in Japan or elsewhere, as I'll always prefer a cartridge version whenever possible. The exception is the few games with notable differences - for example the music in FDS Gyruss is simply amazing. And other games are just a lot cheaper as disk games. I have a bunch of cheap "rubbish" games too, but these are the ones in my collection I've found the most "relevant". Konami really elevated this peripheral:

• Ai Senshi Nicol
  • Bio Miracle
  • Nazo No Murasamejou
  • Meikyuu Jiin Dababa
  • Almana No Kiseki
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Metroid
  • Halley Wars
  • Zanac
  • Silvania
  • Fire Bam
  • Kiki Kaikai

I've been thinking of getting Doki Doki Panic, but it's starting to get expensive, and.... it's really just Super Mario Bros 2, without the ability to run or change characters underway.
Meanwhile, the original Japanese SMB2 is probably my favourite game on the system. It's really brilliant, and the only Mario game ever made that'll actually try to challenge the player - I cherish that single anomaly in video game history.

1 hour ago, noiseredux said:

I've always thought the disks were super cute. But never really looked into the system. I'm assuming there's no way to hook it up to a Retron 5, eh?

Retron 5, no. It wouldn't be able to dump the ROM, IIRC.

The FDS does work on the RetroUSB AVS, and most likely the Analogue systems.

I have a disk system and a few games.  Eggerland, Otocky, Nazo No Murasamejou, Meikyuu Jiin Dababa, maybe one or two others.  I've never gotten my disk system to work fully though.  I replaced the belt, got it to run once or twice so I know it works.  I haven't messed around with it in a year or two now, but I probably should figure it out.

8 hours ago, Sumez said:

I usually dislike any form of mechanical storage media, but those Famicom disks are pretty cute, and I've really had no issues with any of mine so far (knock on wood).

For my collection I do try to stick to disks that weren't released as cartridges either in Japan or elsewhere, as I'll always prefer a cartridge version whenever possible. The exception is the few games with notable differences - for example the music in FDS Gyruss is simply amazing. And other games are just a lot cheaper as disk games. I have a bunch of cheap "rubbish" games too, but these are the ones in my collection I've found the most "relevant". Konami really elevated this peripheral:

• Ai Senshi Nicol
  • Bio Miracle
  • Nazo No Murasamejou
  • Meikyuu Jiin Dababa
  • Almana No Kiseki
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Metroid
  • Halley Wars
  • Zanac
  • Silvania
  • Fire Bam
  • Kiki Kaikai

I've been thinking of getting Doki Doki Panic, but it's starting to get expensive, and.... it's really just Super Mario Bros 2, without the ability to run or change characters underway.
Meanwhile, the original Japanese SMB2 is probably my favourite game on the system. It's really brilliant, and the only Mario game ever made that'll actually try to challenge the player - I cherish that single anomaly in video game history.

I know a lot of people say that about physical media, that is why when I buy the games I only buy ones that state they have been test and working (and of course the correct game on the disk).  I also try to buy 'boxed' if they existed that way.

Funny when I started buying the disk I was just like you I only wanted the ones that where special to the system:

Zelda 1 & 2
Super Mario 1&2
Metroid
Doki Doki Panic
Zanic

and several others you mentioned also, but then I found a member here that had a pretty decent lot that we came to an agreement on that were boxed so I picked them up.

I have since just been adding games that I wanted to have to the collection:

Twinbee
Burgerrtime
Donkey Kong 
etc etc. (the ones I made sleeves for basically)

3 hours ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

I love the famicom disk system, there are a lot of neat games for them.

Also, those are really neat sleeves, I'll have to find my cut out replacement for the wax sleeves that you can tape together and post in here.

That would be neat to have here also, if anyone wants any of my sleeves they are free to use them or msg me and I will email the file, if it is the wrong size from a grab off the page here.

19 minutes ago, c0op3r said:

Here is a snap of my setup, the games I have so far (more are showing up today(will post a photo) and a photo with Cat - well because cat.

DSC_9819.jpg

Off topic, but I have that exact same consolised MVS.  I love that thing, especially the ability to use Saturn controllers and the component output.  However, I ended up just getting a multi-cart instead of a true flash cart.  Maybe some day.  

10 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Off topic, but I have that exact same consolised MVS.  I love that thing, especially the ability to use Saturn controllers and the component output.  However, I ended up just getting a multi-cart instead of a true flash cart.  Maybe some day.  

I did the amp bypass to get the audio output not so high, and I got a cable made that works with the RGB DIN to SCART - that SCART runs to a gSCART switcher and then to a OSSC to output to a 23" ASUS gaming monitor.

So I just turn on the machine I want to play and the setup just handles selecting it and the OSSC handles the upscaling.

DSC_9824.jpg

• Like 1

I don't have any interest in playing them over US releases, but I love collecting them because the packaging size and art is great. I started collecting more last year when the market starting going nuts for print runs, and to me these are just more historically interesting to own as the actual first releases of games like Metroid, Castlevania, and Zelda.

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted
On 1/30/2020 at 12:19 PM, c0op3r said:

So I literally just got a few new items in from a Japan eBay seller,  A few of the games I made sleeves for and a storage case that looks like the original Famicom Disk Kiosk

DSC_9826.jpg

That mini-kisok is sick! Is that newly manufactured or were they around when the FDS was on the market?

-CasualCart

1 hour ago, CasualCart said:

That mini-kisok is sick! Is that newly manufactured or were they around when the FDS was on the market?

-CasualCart

It was around when the FDS was popular - I totally agree with you, I thought there is 2 things I need in my collection that Kiosk Case and one of the Diskun Gold Golf Disk prize (which I dont have yet).

I would also love to get a boxed copy of: Mario Brothers All Night Nippon.

• Like 1

I hated playing floppy disks on my old PC, but really enjoy the FDS. I still don't have the standalone unit or RAM adapter but have more than a few Sharp Twins lying around. My collecting has taken a backseat to other guitar/music gear that I purchase, but I still troll eBay for larger lots of unlabelled or junk FDS titles, pretty bad habit of mine. 😞