IGNORED

RIP GVN and PC?

Lincoln

Administrator · Posted

To my knowledge PC hasn't been purchased, and I have no reason to believe that GC went and bought that too since their only real goal was the data from GVN so they could make their own service. Unless they literally went and bought PC and just took both down to eliminate all the competition. I'm not sure they'd do that, but I can't guarantee they wouldn't either.

3 minutes ago, Gloves said:

To my knowledge PC hasn't been purchased, and I have no reason to believe that GC went and bought that too since their only real goal was the data from GVN so they could make their own service. Unless they literally went and bought PC and just took both down to eliminate all the competition. I'm not sure they'd do that, but I can't guarantee they wouldn't either.

There was an attempt to buy PC and PC said no. Whether GVN attempted harder recently, I dunno...

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Jeevan said:

i think it was "public" knowledge because i thought it was announced when the old site was up, not necessarily announced, but mentioned by someone if i remember correctly.  I could be wrong, but i vaguely remember it.

It's just not something I'd imagine GC wanting to be known. Generally when you try to buy something, get turned down, then go buy that thing's competitor, you want people to think that you consider your purchase a "win", not a sloppy second choice.

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, Gloves said:

It's just not something I'd imagine GC wanting to be known. Generally when you try to buy something, get turned down, then go buy that thing's competitor, you want people to think that you consider your purchase a "win", not a sloppy second choice.

O i get it for sure 🙂  like i said, i thought it was mentioned, cant remember for sure. 

18 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I would guess the idea was always to buy both, but that’s a pure guess.

Administrator · Posted
Just now, ExplodedHamster said:

I would guess the idea was always to buy both, but that’s a pure guess.

Expensive way to corner the market considering anyone else could hop in and make a competitor. The historical data is the main value really, and I mean... it's not illegal to scrape sites in the US. So...

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor an American.

PC working as of this post, GVN is 404.

10:00 PM - The site is working for most requests for now. 99% of user requests will work just fine but requests might be slightly slower. Some database intensive features may not work (price guide downloads, collection importing, etc). We are still working on a more permanent fix and hope to have it up on the site soon.

Edited by Nesmaster

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

Expensive way to corner the market considering anyone else could hop in and make a competitor. The historical data is the main value really, 

Well, not anyone. As illustrated by jonebone’s reply here, and yours here regarding relatively simpler pursuits, the barrier to entry for something like that is pretty high.

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, Link said:

Well, not anyone. As illustrated by jonebone’s reply here, and yours here regarding relatively simpler pursuits, the barrier to entry for something like that is pretty high.

I was merely pointing out there that those things are not immediate priorities for us here. Anyone with time and dedication could make a GVN clone/competitor. We've got people here making literal NES homebrews. That's WAY more effort to learn than pulling data from ebay daily, storing it in a database, then posting that data to a webpage.