IGNORED

Final Fantasy V - I just want to give this game some loving. Please join in!

RH

I think all of us JRPGers will agree that the end of the 2D era, going into the 3D era was the best of times for Squaresoft.  Almost every game was a hit for about 8 years.

As you all are aware, I'm sure, we didn't get Final Fantasy V officially until it was released on the PSX. I first played this game on the PSX, but played through most of it again on the GBA and later on my iPhone.

For me, this is my favorite, 2D (legit) Final Fantasy title.  I enjoyed the story, I love the job class mechanic they implemented in this one and I felt the difficulty level was perfect for me.  I know everyone loves FF VI more than this one and I think that one does feel a bit more "epic" than this title but, still, I think FF V is the best.

The soundtrack is also a large part of that.  I can't put my finger on it but though the chiptunes of this game are simpler than FF VI, they feel more appropriate and my nostalgia of much higher for them

Anyway, I just wanted to start a thread loving on this title.  For the other fans, when did you get to play this title, and on what system?  Was it a ROM hack, or were you able to actually play the original with a translation guide, which I know very few people tried and actually did!  That's crazy (in an awesome way!)  So what's your history with this game?

I had a SNES copier called Professor SF so I played the fan translated ROM on it sometime in the mid 2000s, glad I did that version instead of the PSX as I couldn't stand how they translated the pirate girl, anyways I don't remember much about the game, the job system was fun but the game was underwhelming for me, particularly the last battle, I remember going though the final battle and finishing the game feeling a bit dissapointed, I probably need to replay it again so I can reassess my opinion.

10 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

I enjoyed FFV quite a bit. I think it’s super underrated. The soundtrack is really nice too.

You’re right that I like FFVI more though.

And I'm fine with that.  I don't know, there is something simpler about FFV that makes me prefer it more.  FF VI, although a great game, feels like a 3D BIG budget title, stuck in a 2D world.  FFV just feels like old Final Fantasy and is just my favorite over all.

And, yes, the soundtrack is one of my favorites too.

35 minutes ago, RH said:

And I'm fine with that.  I don't know, there is something simpler about FFV that makes me prefer it more.  FF VI, although a great game, feels like a 3D BIG budget title, stuck in a 2D world.  FFV just feels like old Final Fantasy and is just my favorite over all.

And, yes, the soundtrack is one of my favorites too.

Oh yeah, it’s in my top 3 FF games for sure. It manages to make the most out of the simple mechanics that it has, it’s extremely polished. The job system is the best in the series IMO.

*SPOILER ALERT*

I love the Charlie's Angels theme of the game...after all you team up with "three little girls" (as that one boss mockingly calls them) right? 🙂

And then they once again do that theme for Final Fantasy X-2.  I know some hate that aspect but I personally think female RPG characters are usually more interesting.  And on that note, you know how Metroid was the first game to feature a female protagonist (though in secret?)...well Sega took one look at that and to borrow a poker term, we'll see your Metroid and raise you the first ever RPG with a female "quarterback" (Phantasy Star)!  That's a term I invented(?) to describe the main leading character in an RPG...especially one that must always stay on your team in the lead no matter what.

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

Truth be told, I have a special place of care for that game too because I was on that original translation and testing team for the unofficial English patch that popped up around the mid later 1990s.  But also due to that, I suffer like full time burnout on it.  After having to play and look at everything so in depth, I can't really find myself finishing it again despite trying.  PS1 release,  GBA release, whatever, still haven't been able to go the distance.  The story on it was really awesome, the music has some amazing scores that rival/surpass the 2 we did legit get back in the day too, and it had some solid characters and main bad guys too.

I've always been more partial to 'The Dragon Spreads its Wings' and the Decisive Battle themes too.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Wow! 1

1 hour ago, fox said:

Had the PSX version but never finished it.  Load times were kinda a buzzkill.

What is the best way to play this in 2020?  GBA?  iPhone?

If you want an official release, Go with GBA. I would say iPhone but the updated sprites aren't everyone's cup p tea.

SNES versions have the best graphics (as for the PS1 versions the main difference is that FF4 is the normal difficulty and uncensored, FF5 is the first offical US release, and FF6 is very minimal in changes) but the GBA versions have the bonus dungeon/superbosses.  iPhone doesn't count.

On 1/28/2020 at 7:20 PM, Kguillemette said:

Never did this one. It's on the PlayStation store for $10, I may have to give it a shoterooski. 

If you're gonna play this game and pay money for it, get a REAL copy (repo SNES, PS1, GBA version), not a fake download 😞

On 1/28/2020 at 5:05 PM, RH said:

If you want an official release, Go with GBA. I would say iPhone but the updated sprites aren't everyone's cup p tea.

While we're on that subject I don't think Krile's mugshot/sprite really match up at all...I mean her sprite in the SNES version makes her look like an adorable Rainbow Brite sort of girl (with a ponytail Jojo Siwa would be so proud of) while her mugshot in the fake phone version (and GBA to a lesser extent) makes her look way too serious and aloof.

Edited by Estil

42 minutes ago, fox said:

Nothing wrong with wanting a legal download over a counterfeit bootleg cart. 

Get off your high horse 😝

Oh that's an awesome Nitty Gritty Dirt Band song!  (Fun fact: In the 12 Angry Men episode of 7th Heaven Matt (oldest son) apparently found out NGDB is pretty much the only music his father Eric likes! 😄)  Perhaps in my case it'd be as Matt said, "it's [ABBA] or bust" 😄 

PS: And when the host in the beginning says "Five Guys" he's not talking about the burger place 😄

Edited by Estil

49 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Id rather play it on my psp.

I thought they only had FF4 (and the FF1/FF2 combo) on PSP?  And I think it's the only way you can play the full FF4 extended package on a real cartridge/disc?  I've occasionally thought about getting a PSP 3000 (the only that can hook  up to your TV) and it is kinda a neat little handheld (though I much prefer using a handheld as a console like Super Game Boy or Game Boy Player when possible) but that'd be kinda silly to get a console/handheld for just a couple games 😛

7 hours ago, Estil said:

I thought they only had FF4 (and the FF1/FF2 combo) on PSP?  And I think it's the only way you can play the full FF4 extended package on a real cartridge/disc?  I've occasionally thought about getting a PSP 3000 (the only that can hook  up to your TV) and it is kinda a neat little handheld (though I much prefer using a handheld as a console like Super Game Boy or Game Boy Player when possible) but that'd be kinda silly to get a console/handheld for just a couple games 😛

Ps1 games can be downloaded to a ps3 and synced to a psp memory stick using the USB port on top. 

Here I am being a grandpa doing things the way they were in 2008.