• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, ookii_risu said:

Welcome! That's a good FFV track. 

It was between that or "Searching for Friends" from FFIII/VI.

1 hour ago, epiclotus said:

Welcome to the new forum!  I'm going to be the opposite of you, active here but very much an AA lurker. Do you have a big Atari collection?

Actually yes, I've built it up quite a bit the last year or so. Since no one pays attention to it the carts are really cheap, and a local store near me had cartridges priced at an umbrella amount of $2, so I was able to save that way by grabbing a bunch from there. The 2600 and 7800 are the first systems that I've felt compelled to collect the cardboard boxes for. The price difference between cart and CIB isn't as big as it is with other systems, so that makes it easier, but I'd like to graduate to collecting NES/SNES/N64 boxes too. I also really like the box art from that time. I've heard people mention they don't like pre-NES collecting because it's super Wild West, which is completely true, but that's exactly why I find it interesting. Attached is my most recent Atari pickup that I'm really excited about.

IMG_3211.jpg

Atari 7800 was my first console!  My parents wouldn't let me have a game system, so when I spotted one at a church sale, I convinced my Grandma to buy it and keep it at her house.  I would get such cramps trying to use that stupid controller.  I picked up a nice 2600 a few years back, and I agree with you that the box art can be so evocative.  I struggle with enjoying the games a bit because of their simplicity, but I really want to get into them more.  I want to figure out how to get the grey dot in Adventure without looking it up, but I'm not sure I'm that crazy!  Good looking pickups!  I really like the look of that H.E.R.O. cart.  Sweet drawing!

Cool story! I found a 7800 here locally and knowing that it was backwards compatible I decided to take the plunge. Because of the technological restraints of the time, the programmers had to get creative, both with their idea for games and their workarounds for those limitations. That's what makes Atari 2600 so interesting to me. I love seeing something crazy that I wouldn't have thought would be in a game so old and thinking "Wow, I can't believe the programmers thought of that." It's so Wild West and that's what makes it cool to me.

And yes, the 7800 controller is terrible. I've heard the game pad that was a European exclusive was better, but there's someone at AtariAge that mods NES controllers to work for Atari 2600/7800 games. I can't remember their name or Etsy store though.

7 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

Cool story! I found a 7800 here locally and knowing that it was backwards compatible I decided to take the plunge. Because of the technological restraints of the time, the programmers had to get creative, both with their idea for games and their workarounds for those limitations. That's what makes Atari 2600 so interesting to me. I love seeing something crazy that I wouldn't have thought would be in a game so old and thinking "Wow, I can't believe the programmers thought of that." It's so Wild West and that's what makes it cool to me.

And yes, the 7800 controller is terrible. I've heard the game pad that was a European exclusive was better, but there's someone at AtariAge that mods NES controllers to work for Atari 2600/7800 games. I can't remember their name or Etsy store though.

I have a few of the boards around here somewhere.   Pretty much you sacrifice a busted 2600 controller for the wire, solder it to this board, and drop it in the NES controller.

The Euro 7800 controller is awesome.   I think Best Electronics may still sell them.

There's also something called an EdLaddin adapter that makes your Genesis controller work on the 7800 if you like the Genesis controller.

20 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I have a few of the boards around here somewhere.   Pretty much you sacrifice a busted 2600 controller for the wire, solder it to this board, and drop it in the NES controller.

The Euro 7800 controller is awesome.   I think Best Electronics may still sell them.

There's also something called an EdLaddin adapter that makes your Genesis controller work on the 7800 if you like the Genesis controller.

I've got a busted 2600 joystick so I may just give that a shot.

2 minutes ago, KokiriChild said:

Very cool! I just recently picked up a 7800 and have nothing but 2600 carts to play on it. Any recommendations for 7800 games? 

Oh, and welcome to VGS! 😁

Thanks! My top recommendation is Food Fight. It's a really fun and addicting game and the 7800 is the only console version of the game (I've heard that the Atari 8-Bit version isn't that great). After that Robotron 2084 (although my favorite version of this game is Robotron X on PS1). I haven't played Ninja Golf and Alien Brigade, but those are usually top recommendations for the system if you can find them.

7 minutes ago, KokiriChild said:

Very cool! I just recently picked up a 7800 and have nothing but 2600 carts to play on it. Any recommendations for 7800 games? 

Oh, and welcome to VGS! 😁

I'll be digging out my show bin shortly if you wanted to buy some?

6 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

I've got a busted 2600 joystick so I may just give that a shot.

Thanks! My top recommendation is Food Fight. It's a really fun and addicting game and the 7800 is the only console version of the game (I've heard that the Atari 8-Bit version isn't that great). After that Robotron 2084 (although my favorite version of this game is Robotron X on PS1). I haven't played Ninja Golf and Alien Brigade, but those are usually top recommendations for the system if you can find them.

Thanks! I'll give those a shot!

4 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I'll be digging out my show bin shortly if you wanted to buy some?

I'm not in any rush, but if you're gonna dig em out anyway, feel free to send me a PM! 😄

5 hours ago, Astor Reinhardt said:

I do find that 2600 games are still fairly cheap, even at video game stores. Mainly because they sit around collecting dust and the store owners are more then happy giving me a deal on them if I buy a stack. It's how I've gotten a lot of my games.

Favorite game for the system?

For 7800 it’s a tie between Food Fight and Galaga, but Galaga is one of my favorite arcade games anywhere.

For 2600, so far, it’s Spider Fighter from Activision. I love the frantic/fast paced shooting. Crackpots is another good one.

What are yours?

11 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

For 7800 it’s a tie between Food Fight and Galaga, but Galaga is one of my favorite arcade games anywhere.

For 2600, so far, it’s Spider Fighter from Activision. I love the frantic/fast paced shooting. Crackpots is another good one.

What are yours?

Food Fight FTW. It gets more action on my 7800 than the rest of the library combined.

1 hour ago, The Strangest said:

What are yours?

H.E.R.O., Asteroids or Yars' Revenge.