IGNORED

So now AtGames is teasing a PINBALL machine.

ErickRPG

UPDATED EDIT::

I first heard here

If you go to AtGames official facebook page it has several posts the last 7-10 days all about pinball.  I really think they are going to do a Virtual Pinball cabinet next.  I'm super excited.  I own their upright Legends Ultimate and absolutely love it.  I've got over 150 MAME games on it and they all work flawlessly.  And it's as easy as a few steps putting them onto a USB stick and plug it into your cabinet.  If they can somehow make a bring your own pinball games to a virtual pinball cab?  OH HELL YESS!!  This guy speculates maybe it could connect to Steam where there are over 100 pinball games between Pinball FX3 and Pinball Arcade.  Any game that has a 2 screen cabinet mode would work perfect.  Or could they somehow make Visual Pin easy?  Whatever the way, I can't wait to find out.  They are announcing something mid February.

OG POST:   DO you have or plan to get a stand up arcade for MAME roms in your home?  If so what?  For me a $500 easy solution is the way I want to go.

https://www.atgames.net/arcades/

Edited by ErickRPG

2 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Curious about the quality of these machines. Very interested.

I've watched tons of videos from various youtubers.  They all seem to love it.  If you don't trust youtubers, I am definitely going to be updating this thread later when I get it to give my thoughts . Anything else you want me to check?  (getting it early/mid Feb hopefully)  I'm mainly going to play mame roms with USB so the things I'll be looking at is

-input lag

-screen quality

-MAME compatibility (how many of my favorites work with MAME 2003?)

-sound quality

-ease of use

Edited by ErickRPG
  • Like 2

I will.  In fact I'll probably make a youtube vid showing all of my favorite games, and talk about all of those issues.  It will be a good reason to finally bust out my 4K camera and tripod and make a good quality video.  This I think is the machine I've been waiting for.  All I have to do is get my favorite roms, pick out "box pics" and get them all ready for when I get my machine in next month.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nugfish said:

My local Sam's Club have these. I was very intrigued at first sight, but when I realized Atgames produced it, I moved on. It would be sweet if this is actually a good piece of hardware but I have serious doubts...

I hear you about atgames.  But everything I've been hearing about this is atgames knocked it out of the park.

I've always wanted to purchase one single arcade cabinet, or better yet build my own.  But I have to say that the Arcade 1Up machines that I own seem to be scratching that itch. Now that I have two (that basically take up the same amount of space as one full size) I feel less and less compelled to get the real thing.  

If money and space weren't a factor, I would still go for the real thing, but ultimately, I'll probably just stick with what I have.  

They have two of these at my church in the kids area.  The kids go in there when they are early, and they have about 10 minutes to play before the move on to their church activities once church starts.  The kids love them and they've been in the room since before Christmas.

So, I've not used these but I've seen a couple get "heavy use" by kids which can sometimes be aggressive and they are still working.  So, there's that.

Here's my question--can these be modded/loaded easily with your own games?  It looks like this isn't just a MAME cab, but also a "Console" emulator, though I have no clue which console. I  didn't look into it far enough, but it's listing a lot of console games in the game list.

29 minutes ago, RH said:

They have two of these at my church in the kids area.  The kids go in there when they are early, and they have about 10 minutes to play before the move on to their church activities once church starts.  The kids love them and they've been in the room since before Christmas.

So, I've not used these but I've seen a couple get "heavy use" by kids which can sometimes be aggressive and they are still working.  So, there's that.

Here's my question--can these be modded/loaded easily with your own games?  It looks like this isn't just a MAME cab, but also a "Console" emulator, though I have no clue which console. I  didn't look into it far enough, but it's listing a lot of console games in the game list.

They are super versitile.  I think the community is still finding out stuff about these things.  Yes then can do nes, game gear, genesis, snes, etc right now.  You can also blue tooth connect to a retro pie.  They can do lost of stuff.  For me though, I'm just gonna load up about 100 of my favorite arcade roms with screen shots on a USB card for this thing.

16 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Curious about the quality of these machines. Very interested.

I'd assume the AtGames logo should say it all

Btw, I saw this as it was demonstrated at PRGE last year, and I can't really speak for the stuff that actually matters, like build quality, input lag, etc. - but at least superficially, everything about it was a big red flag. It was like the people who made it had no idea what they were even making.

Edited by Sumez

I can't speak to the quality myself, but for those claiming that the AtGames logo should say it all, I'm not sure that's a fair statement.  This thing is certainly not priced like anything AtGames has sold before.  I would at least try it out before walking away just on the brand name.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I can't speak to the quality myself, but for those claiming that the AtGames logo should say it all, I'm not sure that's a fair statement.  This thing is certainly not priced like anything AtGames has sold before.  I would at least try it out before walking away just on the brand name.  

Agreed. Looking forward to hearing the reviews here

10 hours ago, Link said:

The screen looks pretty small. Like 24” widescreen? In proper aspect ratio, that’s about 15” 4:3. Which is ok, but the absolute minimum imo. Smaller still for something like Contra (arcade) or a vertical shmup. 

Yeah, every game has heavy custom bezels also, not just on either side, but around the entire emulation window, which makes it even more obvious that it's an emulation platform, and not an attempt at replicating any kind of arcade experience. I'd assume it can be configured if you own one, but I'm worried how that will affect scaling - again, this is one area where you can absolutely count on the AtGames logo being a bad sign, it's not like the price of the product should tell anything about their ability to handle video filtering.

Hilariously, when they were showcasing the system, they had (the famously terrible) Famicom Tetris running on it, but with a bezel made up from Nintendo's NES Tetris. Those games were made by two different companies, and I'm pretty certain there are some copyright licenses that don't really line up well here.

I'm not sure what to make of their claim that this is "the world's first connected arcade" either... I guess doing 5 seconds of research was too much, when it risked ruining their slogan XD

To add some positivity to this, though - at least the game list is looking really good!

Edited by Sumez

13 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Yeah, every game has heavy custom bezels also, not just on either side, but around the entire emulation window,

You’re saying aside from the physical bezel, the on-screen graphics are further constrained within a graphical bezel, a la Super Game Boy? Ugh. I don’t see that on their site, where do you get that? 

As for being connected, seems you can ‘stream’ games (“no need to wait for downloads”) for only $1 per hour... I think I’ll prefer to wait, to download a game whether 1 megabyte or 1000, which takes what now, a whole minute? I can’t even get fiber and downloads are still pretty damn fast.

2 hours ago, Link said:

You’re saying aside from the physical bezel, the on-screen graphics are further constrained within a graphical bezel, a la Super Game Boy?

Yes, exactly.

2 hours ago, Link said:

Ugh. I don’t see that on their site, where do you get that? 

I can't even find any ingame pictures on their site, are you seeing any there?
I'm just basing this on what I saw in person when they demonstrated it at PRGE back in october. It could easily have changed since, or like I speculated, it's very likely a setting. But who can tell without trying the thing.

EDIT: Found some footage on YouTube, and although the bezel definitely goes all the way around the screen in all of the ones I could dig up, they are at least kept completely black in those same examples, so it's not very obvious.
It's probably done to maintain integer scaling of individual pixels, which is honestly commendable. But it kind of sucks that they couldn't find a screen that just fit out of the box - of course that would have been incredibly expensive. 🙂 

Edited by Sumez

you can put bezel images onto the screen for each game.  What I hope is, that they update when you chose scalines for the game, the bezel has no scanlines.  That will help to set the bezel image apart from the scanlines.  But it really sounds like they are keeping up with the updates and listening to the fans.

I am currently building my MAME rom database with the tool so I'll be all ready to go with a USB stick when it gets here.  I'm doing it alphabetically and am currently on "G".

1 hour ago, Estil said:

Is it true that the original Xbox makes for an ideal MAME arcade console?  I wouldn't mind setting up something like that someday.  How much could the Xbox's hard drive hold?

Very little off of original hardware. A standard XBOX mod requires an external harddrive replacing factory. Mine is 256 GB maybe?

17 hours ago, Sumez said:
20 hours ago, Link said:

I can't even find any ingame pictures on their site, are you seeing any there?

No, that’s why I asked. 

17 hours ago, Sumez said:

I'm just basing this on what I saw in person when they demonstrated it at PRGE back in october.

Oh, you saw it in person. I see.

It doesn’t seem like a mistake, that they noticed and decided to fix. Old LCD screens (late 90s-early 00s?) used to make the picture smaller than the screen if the software display resolution was lower than the hardware’s native resolution, but I haven’t seen that in a long time.