IGNORED

LutherDestroysTheFinds - rare 5-screw variant find!

See the most recent post for latest updates on finds

Continuation of this Nintendoage thread: http://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageview374a.html?catid=10&threadid=126291

1/19/2020: I recently moved and have been starting to look for finds locally in the new neighborhood.  Saw a local estate sale pop up on Craigslist that was about 15 min away.  It had games and consoles buried in the pictures with no words to alert other buyers.  I emailed beforehand but never got a response.  Pics of the sale included.

Sale started at 11:00 and I showed up around 9:45.  To my dismay, there were about 10-12 cars waiting on the country road for the sale to start already.  People were walking up to the house too so I rushed out of my car and headed up there.  Someone working the sale had post it notes that were numbered so you could hold your place in line.  I got number #25 and was so bummed that over an hour early was such a bad draw.  But right then the worker found another post it that someone tossed aside for #11 and he swapped me for the 25 that he had given me.  Thank god. 

11:00 rolls around and everyine starts lining up.  From the chatter in line, it seems like most people knew each other from estate saling.  There were the jewelry guys.  The tools guys.  The DVD/Bluray people.  The toys guys.  I was blown away by the whole thing.  I was used to regular estate/garage sales where you just show up and browse. 

The first 25 people are allowed in and I get in.  I peeked inside and knew where not to go for the games.  I zipped upstairs and found them waiting on a table with no one else in there.  I scooped up what I knew i wanted with good prices.  Someone came in right after me and grabbed the only good Genesis games (Phelios CIB, Altered Beast CIB, Sonic 1 CIB) and the Saturn console and Genesis console.  Both consoles were overpriced but losing those 3 Gensis titles stung.  I gather everything and start pulling out games I dont want (Rad Racer, Bases Loaded, Wrestlemania, etc).  I didnt think to get rid of the Light Gun and the Max controllers so I overpaid on those.  I browsed some more and found 3 Beatles 45s for $1 each.  

Overall, I paid $112 for everything pictured below.  The NES and Gameboy both work great.  One of the Saturn games still has the receipt from Funcoland in 1997.  The Rad Racer glasses, NES 18 game rack, and Sega Netlink adapter were all cool odds-and-ends that were free with everything.  A pretty great haul that wouldn't have been possible if the worker didnt swap out my post it number.  At least now I know to be 2 hours early for any future sale ran by this estate selling company.

Screenshot_20200117-232357_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200117-232400_Chrome.jpg

20200120_091603.jpg

20200120_091607.jpg

20200120_091613.jpg

20200120_091620.jpg

Edited by LutherDestroysTheGond
  • Like 8
  • Wow! 1

Around here all the jewelry,tools, dvd and toy people all know about video games too. 
one time I went to an estate sale I knew had games and was like 4th in I went straight to the games and a $100 game boy lol. It had a bunch of games but as soon as I started browsing them the lady says “oh are you Jeff?” As soon as I said “no” here walks in old Jeff. The guy was about two spots behind me and while in line overheard him say he drove an hour out. Apparently he had Called or messaged and had the lady hold the stuff. 

I almost wanted to start a bidding war I was so mad but I just left. 

• Wow! 1
  • Sad 1

If you think you overpaid at all on any item you're nuts, given you're out $112 and got all that Nintendo stuff and then some.  Given what you find the NES and Gameboy systems alone go for, then have a gem like Tengen Tetris in there, you're well into the black on this.

I've not run into estate businesses around here into the numbers on post it racket or the show up dinner time yesterday insanity thankfully.  I've not had a lot of big luck at them either way but it could be bad luck of the house and the area.  There are many entities here where second hand buy offs by businesses are very tempting so our facebook and craigslist isn't as loaded as other spaces from what I've seen.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like I really lucked out on this one with the post-it number swap.  When I left the sale I was on a high from the find but I was thinking that if this was what I had to do regularly that it would not be fun at all.  I'll probably stick to my thrift stores and traditional garage/neighborhood sales. 

Looking back, I wouldn't be shocked if some of the people there sat out for hours and hours.  If it wasnt so cold here, they probably would've camped overnight.  The way most of them talked, this estate sale thing was either their main source of income or if they were on fixed income (SS, pension disability, etc) this was how they had to make money on the side with no tax/benefit consequences.  I'm coming from a standpoint where it's always been a hobby so the seriousness of it was something that I didn't know was there.  I got my taste but probably won't go back to another sale like this.  This estate sale should have been like the sale describes by skinnygrinny if not for the swap

I pretty much skip estates sales here - most of them are run by people who do that for a living - they get a percentage of the sales so they have an incentive to jack the prices up as highly as possible.  At the end of the sale they will give the family a pittance for what didn't sell and then proceed to market the best of that stuff through their own established channels,  I pretty much stick to thrift stores anymore.  

One of the last ones I went to resulted in  a fist fight between two buyers trying to rush in.  

• Wow! 1

2/17/20:  My local Goodwill had a half off everything sale today.  Got 1 sealed Saturn game, 2 sealed Saturn 3rd party controllers, and 1 used 3rd party controller for $9 total.  I normally don't get excited for 3rd party controllers but I'm 3 controllers closer to being able to max out the Saturn Bomberman multiplayer games!

20200217_132800.jpg

• Like 4

2/24/2020:  Had 20% off at the local game store.  The price tags on these 2 titles speak for themselves.  Little Red Riding Hood has been eluding me and Flower Sun And Rain is jumping up in price with pricecharting lagging behind so far.  After the discount I only paid about $31 after tax.  Both are complete!

20200224_180123.jpg

• Like 4

Got both of these locally for $1,000.  Both appear to be legit but I welcome any scrutiny.  Both are CIB with cart, box, manual, and foam only.  Mega Man is the sought after Dr. Wright misprint and DK Jr Math is very uncommon in this condition.  One of my best finds ever.

20200302_153006.jpg

20200302_153047.jpg

20200302_152930.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1

10 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I didn't know the Dr. Wright Mega Man was REV-A. How was there a revision to the first print?

Rev-A just signifies the transition to 3 screw carts and not a later edition of a game. Any game released after 1987 or so will have Rev-A on the box. ROM, manual, and box revisions are marked with a -1 (or a higher number) at the end of the product code. Early games didn't have product codes on the box or cart so sometimes major revisions still didn't get the -1 modifier.

55 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Rev-A just signifies the transition to 3 screw carts and not a later edition of a game. Any game released after 1987 or so will have Rev-A on the box. ROM, manual, and box revisions are marked with a -1 (or a higher number) at the end of the product code. Early games didn't have product codes on the box or cart so sometimes major revisions still didn't get the -1 modifier.

Does that mean games that have both box versions contained a 5 screw in the no REV-A variant box? I mean games like Top Gun.

15 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Does that mean games that have both box versions contained a 5 screw in the no REV-A variant box? I mean games like Top Gun.

Ideally yes, but there is not a 1:1 correlation. There were definitely some instances where 3-screw carts were included in no Rev-A boxes. Some of these were refurbs, but it's also likely that they had a surplus of old boxes after the changeover, leading to some mismatches.

There was another thread here where people were discussing which games should have had 5-screw versions, but didn't. I'll have to look for it.

UPDATE: Hahaha. It was actually your thread. So I'm guessing you're already tracking.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Haha 1

3/23/20: My wife uses a neighborhood app called NextDoor and a lady posted some DS games for sale.  Ended up getting New Super Mario Bros, Yoshi, and Nintendogs for $15.  Not a huge find but gotta take what comes my way.  Left my usual message that if she has any other game stuff I'd be interested and she said she would let me know (heard that million times but never expect a response).

About 2 hours later she messages that she has some Gameboy games and wants $8 each for the Pokemone and $5 each for everything else.  She posted it to NextDoor as well.  I ended up getting everything for $100 because someone else was interested but couldn't get the games until tomorrow.  Games pictured belown including Emerald, Crystal, Firered, and Leafgreen.  It was a hell of a score.  Very happy with how the whole thing went with this lady.

A few hours later, she messaged again that she had Wii and Gamecube games and asked if I was interested.  She sent me a list of about 20 Wii/Gamecube games and I offered $5 per game.  She texted that she looked one of the titles up on Ebay and it went for $20 so she wants $20 per game.  We go back and forth and she eventually let's me pick out 10 games for $10 each.  I pick the best in the lot including Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, Twilight Princess, Melee, and more.  All games are CIB and in great condition.

All in all, it was $215 for everything pictured.  A great score before the governor's stay-at-home order took effect.

20200328_225637.jpg

20200328_225746.jpg

20200328_225838.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow! 2