IGNORED

LutherDestroysTheFinds - rare 5-screw variant find!

18 hours ago, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

I tried out the L button with the joystick and it didn't rub so it sounds like it's a newer model of the Brawler 64.  

That's definitely a good thing.  Since the controller isn't the grey color, it's almost certainly a newer model, but I wasn't thinking about that when I was writing my post.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2022 at 8:34 AM, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

9/14/22 - I found a listing in FB marketplace for a Gameboy lot.  It had been listed for 3 days and still available for $200.  The listing stated tge Gameboy console, Kirby cartridge, and the Bugs Bunny cartridge/manual were not included.   I tried haggling and got it down to $180.  While en route to pick it up, the seller said he found the Gameboy console and would throw it in for $20.  All in all, I think it was a really solid find.  Not a great deal as I still spent $200 but it was about 1/3 of pricecharting for the lot.  Everything is CIB with all inserts except the Kirby/Bugs Bunny missing items mentioned.  The gameboy serial number matched the box so that was neat to see.  All of the boxes and clean and great shape except Yoshi has a little crushing on one of the back corners.  Kirby might be my best-condition GB box that I own and Mario was an upgrade from what i had.   To me, it was nuts that it sat for 3 days with no buyers.  But, maybe I'm the only one nuts enough to pay $200 😅.

I already had carts for both of the games so it was nice to fill those out.  If you have a spare Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle 2 manual, let me know!

tl;dr: everything pictured for $200, all CIB except missing Kirby cart and BBCC2 cart/manual

20220915_013916.jpg

This is an incredible find and price for the lot. CIB Gameboy stuff tends to be very underpriced on PC as box condition makes hundreds of dollars of difference. Congrats! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

2/24/23:  I haven't updated this thread in particular in a while.  I want to add a few of my favorite recent finds.

I have been looking actively for local Game& Watch consoles for years and no luck.  Within a few weeks of each other I got these 2 in separate pickups for a total of $110.  Both work great.  I got really solid deals on both imo

Also, I found a Nintendo 64 lighted sign locally for $700.  There is a crack in it but I'm fine with it.  Maybe I overpaid, but I had to have it.  Seems like I paid less than the going rate based on recent online sales.  I had passed on a lit Gamecube sign about 15 years ago at a flea market and have been kicking myself ever since.  First local lit sign to pop up locally in my searches.  I'm not the biggest N64 fan so I would be open to trading it for a lit sign for another system I enjoy more, but this is just too cool not to keep and (eventually) show off once I rig up some hardware to hang it with. 

20230224_120155.jpg

20230209_195728.jpg

20230209_195737.jpg

20230209_195812.jpg

20230209_195840.jpg

Edited by LutherDestroysTheGond
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 2
  • Love 1

• The title was changed to LutherDestroysTheFinds. Updated 2/24/2023
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to LutherDestroysTheFinds. Updated 6/10/2023

6/10/2023: huge vintage toy lot while garage saling.  Mostly 70s/80s Star Wars, and 80s/90s TMNT and Batman.  Left a lot of GI Joe stuff behind and kicking myself for it.  Not sure what to do with this stuff as im not a toy guy but at $50 for everything, it seemed too good to pass up.  I'd be open to trading/selling all of this.  

20230610_204242.jpg

20230610_204254.jpg

20230610_211807.jpg

20230610_210545.jpg

20230610_210618.jpg

20230610_214452.jpg

20230610_214458.jpg

• Like 2

• The title was changed to LutherDestroysTheFinds. Updated 6/16/2023

6/16/23:  Stopped at a few random garage sales this morning after dropping my son off at daycare.  First sale had the 5 DS games and all Wii games except Monster Hunter for $0.50 each and all CIB.  Next sale had the Genesis console and games for $50.  All are CIB except Fatal Fury, Metalhead, and Robocop 3. Left my contact info with the guy if he has more and he said he'll be cleaning and putting stuff out all weekend so I'll be stopping by a few times.  Next garage sale was a dud.  Sale after that had Monster Hunter 3 Tri for $2 CIB.  Last sale had the Alf doll for $0.50.  Still in packaging and all tags and dated 1986.  Might be a great buy. 

All in all spent $57.50 for everything pictured.  Devilish CIB and maybe the Alf doll are probably the biggest gems here.  Shinobi has a Sega 90s sticker on it which I don’t think I've seen before and is neat.  I have been going hard garage saling the last month and this is the first noteworthy video game find that I've had.  Wasn't even planning on it this morning and ended up doing well!

20230616_115825.jpg

20230616_115832.jpg

20230616_121511.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

6/17/23: I have been going back and forth with someone on Facebook Marketplace for about 2 weeks for an Atari 7800 lot that's been sitting.  Finally decided on $80 for the bundle and met up today running errands (seller originally wanted $200 and kept only coming down on price every few days).  It comes with OEM power cord and 3 controllers.  33 total games with manuals for almost every one packed in the box for Reactor.  There are some random 2600 controllers and a 2600 power cord.  I have most of the 2600 games included but some gems like Frogger 2 Three deep, Sorcerer's Apprentice, and somehow Mario Bros are new to the collection.  I'll test it all out once the kids are in bed tonight but very excited to have a (hopefully) working 7800 again!

20230617_183149.jpg

20230617_171506.jpg

20230617_183237.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/18/2023 at 7:29 AM, docile tapeworm said:

Dude those 7800 are pretty impressive graphically. I picked one up at a yard sale with ninja golf and thought “damn if you didn’t have to use these shitty controllers this thing might be enjoyable.

I had one in the past and got rid of it since I only used it for 2600 games.  With this one I fired up the 7800 version of Donkey Kong Jr and was shocked at how good it looked.  And yeah, I've owned 6 OEM Controllers for the 7800 and only 1 has ever worked, usually a bad button or joystick or both.  The quality and layout and shape of it is just terrible in everyway.   Should be in textbooks for how to not design a controller

• Like 1

On 6/18/2023 at 6:29 AM, docile tapeworm said:

Dude those 7800 are pretty impressive graphically. I picked one up at a yard sale with ninja golf and thought “damn if you didn’t have to use these shitty controllers this thing might be enjoyable.

You don't have to use those shitty horrendous controllers.  It's a standard 9-pin port.  There are TONS of other controllers you can use!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

I tried to plug a genesis controller into it and it didn’t work…

That's odd.  I've used Genesis controller in my Colecovision on occasion.  Anyway, try an older, quality joystick with a 9-pin port...

I love my 7800.  

Wanna get more into it.

• Love 1

• The title was changed to LutherDestroysTheFinds. Updated 6/20/2023

6/20/2023: Found a Gameboy lot on Facebook Marketplace.  Seller was asking $125 and I offered $100 and they accepted.  I have now found all if the Play It Loud colors for Gameboy consoles locally except for Green.  Only game I needed was Mortal Kombat 3n the rest will be upgrades in my copies and for trade/sale.  Console is definitely being kept to finish the PIL set.

These are in great shape and were adult-owned by the seller's brother who unfortunately passed away.  I passed along my condolences but more and more of my finds lately are from people who have passed.  The Atari 7800 was from someone's father who passed.  Toy lot was in the attic of an old lady who passed away and had her old kids' toys; the person who bought the house was unloading the toys for cheap.  Just a sad reminder that whatever we have when we die needs to be dealt with our family.  In the past, almost every find was from people downsizing or moving.  Makes sense that it's shifting to death as this stuff gets older.

20230620_210054.jpg

20230620_210107.jpg

• Like 2

• The title was changed to LutherDestroysTheFinds. Updated 6/28/2023

6/24/2023: went to a local store that I don't frequent too often.  Had a 20% off coupon plus a little bit of trade fodder.  Ended up getting this for $620.  Great condition and CIB but sadly no poster.  Definitely a harder NES boxed game to come across in good shape!  Happy to add it to the collection

20230628_162433.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/17/2023 at 7:03 PM, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

but some gems like Frogger 2 Three deep, Sorcerer's Apprentice, and somehow Mario Bros are new to the collection.

That Frogger 2 is gem! rare game and fun to play too. You should play in the Atari patch challenges that we have over in the Leaderboard section.

Edited by G-type
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to LutherDestroysTheFinds - rare 5-screw variant find!

10/26/2023 - found a very rare 5-screw variant for NES that was mistakenly listed as a repro cart at a local store.   Bought is on a strong hunch that it looked real.  Got it home and inspected more and it's legit.  I'm thrilled to have it.  Likely the 4th known copy to exist.  

Also recently got a few more harder-to-find Gameboy games off the list as well as finishing the Play-It-Loud console set by finding a green one locally.

20231026_195147.jpg

20231026_193351.jpg

20231026_195451.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2023 at 1:34 PM, srh201 said:

why would that say repro? nothing looks like a repro there

This store will price 3-screw and 5-screw carts separately based on pricecharting.  My guess is that since Snake's Revenge doesn't have a 5-screw entry on pricecharting, the employee pricing it assumed repro and labeled it as such.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

This store will price 3-screw and 5-screw carts separately based on pricecharting.  My guess is that since Snake's Revenge doesn't have a 5-screw entry on pricecharting, the employee pricing it assumed repro and labeled it as such.  

Love you grabbed that 5 screw. I got my bayou billy out of a brick and mortar $5

• Like 1