IGNORED

LutherDestroysTheFinds - rare 5-screw variant find!

1 hour ago, bowser said:

Are you keeping these or flipping them?

Upgraded my copies if possible, kept the few that I didn't already have, and selling/trading what's left.  Most games already have been claimed except for Fire Emblem, 4 Swords, Harvest Moon, Leafgreen, Sapphire, Gold, and the Spyros.  

4/22/2020: Some backstory - about a year ago I sold a huge chunk of my childhood Pokemon cards to TrollandToad.  There were about 400 that I didn't sell due to condition and I have held on to them since.  All had folds, scratches, etc and the only ones of note were a Base 2 Charizard, Base Set Blastoise, and a beat up 1st Edition Jungle Set Nidoqueen. The other holo cards weren't worth much and the vast majority were uncommon/common/energy from the first 4-5 sets.  

Scrolling on Craigslist I came across this a posting to trade an xbox one s for vintage cards (pictured below).  I send the guy what I have and we go back and forth.  Ended up getting the 1TB xbox one s console (works great) plus a second controller for the card lot.  I was very transparent about the condition of the cards but he was fine with it and excited to get some Base/Jungle/Fossil cards.  I had listed these same cards on ebay last summer and they went unsold for $90 (most messages bemoaned the condition).  I think I did pretty great!

20200425_235435.jpg

20200425_235337.jpg

• Like 3

5/28/2020: A local thrift shop reopened this week for the first time in about 2 months.  Went in and found a ton of Playstation 1 and 2 games.  I grabbed all the non-sports, non-shovelware and got these games for $31 total after tax.  Everything is complete with manuals except Metal Gear Solid is missing disc one only.  Star Trek Encounters is sealed.  Katamari Damacy and Fighting Force are worth the price for everything, the rest is a bonus.  Fighting Force was supposed to be Streets Of Rage 4 but the company lost the license during development.  That's the one I'm most excited to play out of this lot.

Nice little find!

20200528_212553.jpg

Edited by LutherDestroysTheGond
  • Like 3

6/11/2020:  Found a garage sale listing on Craigslist for a block sale and this weekend and in the listing mentioned a Commodore.  I emailed and asked for the address of the Commodore to efficiently get it in the first day of the sale.   I ended up setting up purchase tonight and got everything pictured for $20 (cat not included in the sale). 

The lot includes the console with box, monitor, boxed floppy drive, boxed printer, controller, number keypad, booklets, and printer paper.  There are tons of games, mostly bootlegs, but about a dozen or so official floppy disks.  There are 3 cartridges.  I haven't priced this out but I knew $20 was a steal based on the volume of what was there.  I haven't tested it out yet as I never have owned a Commodore before.  Given the amount of space it takes up I'll probably be selling/trading most of this (per wife's order) depending on the interest.  

20200611_204709.jpg

20200611_204607.jpg

20200611_204627.jpg

• Like 2

That is an Awesome Lot for 20 beans.  C64 is my Fav. along with NES and ColecoVision so I'm just a trifle jealous.  

P.s.  Next time the wife orders you to get rid of something video game related, I recommend this line:

ALL OF YOUR SHOES, CLOTHES, MAKE-UP AND HAIR-CARE PRODUCTS HAVE TO GO!

13 minutes ago, PII said:

That is an Awesome Lot for 20 beans.  C64 is my Fav. along with NES and ColecoVision so I'm just a trifle jealous.  

P.s.  Next time the wife orders you to get rid of something video game related, I recommend this line:

ALL OF YOUR SHOES, CLOTHES, MAKE-UP AND HAIR-CARE PRODUCTS HAVE TO GO!

Thanks, any tips or things to know before I try and tackle setting it up and testing everything?  It just seems overwhelming with all the parts and tons of bootleg games to test out.

She can throw a fit over the C64 and the 4 boxes of stuff I got as long as she doesn't start having similar feelings about the other consoles I own haha

The first thing to do is probably to locate your power pack if you have one.  Since I don't see it out in the pic. I'm guessing it's in that beige box under the disk drive.  It should have a hard wired cord coming out of it that needs to be attached to the port on the right side of your computer/keyboard.  The port is to the right of the power button.

On the back of the computer/keyboard there are two identical ports in the middle.  You need a cable running from the one on the right (if you are facing them) to the left of two identical ports (again, if you are facing them) on the back of your disk drive.

The left-middle port on the back of your computer/keyboard is for the monitor.  The cable for that should have 3 male RCA ports at the other end that are color coded to match the female RCA ports on the back of your monitor.  One, (white) for Audio and two, (yellow & red) For Video, or Luma and Chroma as they should be labeled on the back of the monitor.

Plug in your power pack, monitor and disk drive.  (probably want to make sure everything is turned off before plugging everything in)  The disk drive power cord is not hardwired so you'll have to port it in at the bottom left on the back.

Turn it all on in the following order:                     

Power pack first (switch on back.)

Computer/keyboard 2nd (switch on right side.)

Finally, turn on your monitor and disk drive.

Computer/keyboard has an l.e.d. light on top.  Disk drive has one on the front.  Power pack does not have one, and you'll know your monitor is working if you see that gorgeous blue color.

They are turned off in the reverse order:  Disk Drive, Monitor Computer/keyboard, Power pack.

• Thanks 1

There's a port on the back of the computer/keyboard for cartridges.  Load cart and turn on power pack, comp./key. and monitor and you should have a title screen.  

To load a disk game put a disk in w/label facing up and push the latch down on the disk drive.

To load an official game - type:

LOAD "*",8,1

Sometimes it is LOAD "*",8

Also, don't be at all surprised if your disk drive powers on but won't load a disk for any number of reasons.

In my experience, ripped game disks often have more than one game on them and a list can be accessed by typing:

LOAD "LIST",8

And then the same for each game with the title in quotes instead of LIST or an asterisk.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, PII said:

The first thing to do is probably to locate your power pack if you have one.  Since I don't see it out in the pic. I'm guessing it's in that beige box under the disk drive.  It should have a hard wired cord coming out of it that needs to be attached to the port on the right side of your computer/keyboard.  The port is to the right of the power button.

On the back of the computer/keyboard there are two identical ports in the middle.  You need a cable running from the one on the right (if you are facing them) to the left of two identical ports (again, if you are facing them) on the back of your disk drive.

The left-middle port on the back of your computer/keyboard is for the monitor.  The cable for that should have 3 male RCA ports at the other end that are color coded to match the female RCA ports on the back of your monitor.  One, (white) for Audio and two, (yellow & red) For Video, or Luma and Chroma as they should be labeled on the back of the monitor.

Plug in your power pack, monitor and disk drive.  (probably want to make sure everything is turned off before plugging everything in)  The disk drive power cord is not hardwired so you'll have to port it in at the bottom left on the back.

Turn it all on in the following order:                     

Power pack first (switch on back.)

Computer/keyboard 2nd (switch on right side.)

Finally, turn on your monitor and disk drive.

Computer/keyboard has an l.e.d. light on top.  Disk drive has one on the front.  Power pack does not have one, and you'll know your monitor is working if you see that gorgeous blue color.

They are turned off in the reverse order:  Disk Drive, Monitor Computer/keyboard, Power pack.

Ended up going to a tv since the monitor power cord is frayed.  Got this garbled video image to keep flickering (no sound) with a cartridge.  Haven't tried the floppy drive yet.

No matter what I do (cart, no cart, floppy, no floppy, etc) I cant get that blue screen with text when I turn it on.

Edit: power brick is third party 

20200612_001922.jpg

20200612_002934.jpg

Would be nice if it was just the power pack, but more likely to be a faulty chip in the computer needing replacement.  Wish I could tell you more...

There are usually diagnostic test cartridges available on Ebay for pretty reasonable prices... 

• Thanks 1

If you can't or don't want to do the troubleshooting yourself and are up for the expense, you might feel out the guy who runs the "Adrian's Digital Basement" YouTube channel to see if he'd be interested in doing a repair for you and returning the system (presumably with you paying shipping both ways).  He does a LOT of C64 revival videos and has done a lot of repair stuff for people who've sent it in over the time I've been watching him, so it's worth a shot if you can't do it at home.

• Thanks 1

Over the last few weeks I made a couple of finds on Craigslist.  Paid a combined $85 for everything pictured.  Gamecube stuff is sadly just the manuals/cases but Mario Sunshine and Pokemon XD alone are basically worth what I paid for everything.  Both PS3 controllers work.  Great stuff!

20200706_100729.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/6/2020 at 1:01 PM, bowser said:

Just the manual and case for Mario and Pokemon is worth $85?

Well, at least ~$78 (with shipping) but the bidding for the Pokemon XD hasn't concluded yet.  Sunshine was a sold listing.  Close enough for me!  Especially with everything else I got

Screenshot_20200706-133500_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200706-133253_eBay.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

8/14/2020:  Went to a thrift store and pawn shop on my lunch break today.  Got these from both places for a cumulative total of $13. 

The XMen game is CIB and had a black 251 block memory card in the case, Hot Shots Golf is complete with the insert, Geom Cube is CIB, ROTJ is the special 2-disc release with the original theatrical version but I already own it so it is for me to trade in at a local store, the Beastie Boys EP was cool to grab and is like my 6th or 7th EP by them, and last but not least NHL 2003 had a Gameboy Player disc inside!  The GB Player disc needs buffed and took 4 tries to get to work.  Try #5 didn't work, however.  Great stuff!

Between GB Player disc and the memory card, be sure to always check sports/shovelware cases when hunting.  Turned a dud of a trip into a really solid find.

20200814_141240.jpg

20200814_141254.jpg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

Thanks!  I still have it all sitting in my basement in need of repair 🙁

I feel that, I have a pile of controllers and hardware that will one day be repaired. It's nice to have projects at the ready for a rainy day but nicer to have it ready to play with haha.

• Like 1