IGNORED

Must Play 32x Games

fox

My experience with the 32X has been the opposite of most people, in that I hated the games that get a lot of praise (Blackthorne, Kolibri), and enjoyed the games that usually get trashed (Metal Head, Motocross Championship).

I think Metal Head is a genuinely worthwhile game, though you have to hold down the run button to bring the experience up to a reasonable speed. For an early texture-mapped 3D title, it's pretty slick.

The two 32X CD games I've played much are Night Trap and Fahrenheit. Night Trap definitely benefited from the video upgrade, but Fahrenheit's audio got kind of trashed in the 32X version.

I don't like the Mortal Kombat II port very much -- my favorite combo with Jax, which worked in the arcade and SNES versions, doesn't work on the 32X. (I think the 32X version may be based on a later revision of the game.)

The Space Harrier port, though, is pretty nice. That's the first time the feel of those Sega Super Scaler games was really brought to a home console.

Has anyone played T-Mek much? I keep meaning to get into it.

Edited by bronzeshield
  • Thanks 1

Virtua Racing Deluxe. Has extra cars and content not in the Genesis version. It runs way better here that the Genesis. Fun racing game!

Doom: people complain about the music but its not that bad. People just like to shit all over the 32x. Get real, people. 

Space Harrier: Great port of the original! The gameplay is all there and feels great. 

Kolibri: You may or may not like the gameplay, but it is worth it for style and concept. It is a beautiful game in graphics and music. 

Afterburner:  Another well done port. It looks, runs, and sounds great. I'm terrible at the game though. So I can never get much enjoyment out of it unfortunately. If you are a fan of the game, check it out.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Gamesack's video of the 32x is a great video for getting an idea of which games you might enjoy playing.  They cover every game besides Surgical Strike.  AVGN's video is entertaining as well, but as we all know, it's not a review.  He just has fun pointing out the bad stuff.  

Are you allowed to play the Master System games from the Mega Everdrive with the 32X still attached?  Because with real cartridges you can either play Master System games or you can play 32X games; can't do both.  And the Master System easily has 10x the number of games so if I have to choose...

4 hours ago, acromite53 said:

Doom: people complain about the music but its not that bad. People just like to shit all over the 32x. Get real, people. 

Don't forget that it cut some levels.  At least the SNES version has all the levels and really bad ass music...frankly how they were able to get a semi-playable port of doom on the SNES is a frickin' miracle.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Estil said:

Are you allowed to play the Master System games from the Mega Everdrive with the 32X still attached?  Because with real cartridges you can either play Master System games or you can play 32X games; can't do both.  And the Master System easily has 10x the number of games so if I have to choose...

I used to know all of these questions about the Everdrive, but at this moment I really can't remember.  I will have to check later.  I know there is a very short list of things that the Mega Everdrive can't do when the 32x is inserted, but I can't remember everything on that list right now.  I have a separate Master System hooked up along side my Genesis/CD/32x, so I've never had to use the Master System functionality on the Mega Everdrive.

10 hours ago, acromite53 said:

Kolibri: You may or may not like the gameplay, but it is worth it for style and concept. It is a beautiful game in graphics and music. 

Oh, it's a great-looking and -sounding game for sure. The problem is, the controls are screwed-up, the stage design is either by-the-numbers or unpleasantly cryptic (like a second-rate Ecco), and enemies respawn as soon as their spawn point leaves the screen, which does not work in a game with the kind of whippy camera/scrolling that Kolibri has (i.e. the typical 16-bit thing of making the screen whip around every time you turn).

My problem with the controls, BTW, is simple: when you stop and try to change direction, the game sometimes forces you to keep going in the direction you were traveling before you stopped. In other words, if I press Right, then release it and my hummingbird stops moving, when I go to press Up I shouldn't move a bunch of pixels to the right before I'm allowed to go upward. The same thing got messed up in Sega's home conversion of Air Rescue for the Master System: in a helicopter game, there shouldn't be pre-existing momentum from a standstill.

I just found the game to be a chore. A nice-looking chore, sure. 😄

Edited by bronzeshield
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Estil said:

Don't forget that it cut some levels.  At least the SNES version has all the levels and really bad ass music...frankly how they were able to get a semi-playable port of doom on the SNES is a frickin' miracle.

Good point. I guess I never noticed the missing levels. I'm not good enough to get through the whole game! Lol

I think the 32X could've been saved if they made it such that the 32X would be for 32 bit side scroller sorts of games and the Saturn for the 3D sorts of games.  Also they could've taken page out of their rival's playbook by encouraging the Genesis (and/or CD/32X) and Saturn to be hooked together...you know, say right on the back of the Saturn's box (Don't disconnect your Genesis!).  This is a perfect example how the problem of one extreme (having too many platforms going at once -- GEN/CD/32X/GG) has never been solved by going to the opposite extreme (going Saturn only overnight and cold turkey rather than a gradual withdraw).

At least the Sega CD did get a few good years to show its stuff...though it's library was fairly small too, about ~150ish?

9 minutes ago, Estil said:

I think the 32X could've been saved if they made it such that the 32X would be for 32 bit side scroller sorts of games and the Saturn for the 3D sorts of games.  Also they could've taken page out of their rival's playbook by encouraging the Genesis (and/or CD/32X) and Saturn to be hooked together...you know, say right on the back of the Saturn's box (Don't disconnect your Genesis!).  This is a perfect example how the problem of one extreme (having too many platforms going at once -- GEN/CD/32X/GG) has never been solved by going to the opposite extreme (going Saturn only overnight and cold turkey rather than a gradual withdraw).

At least the Sega CD did get a few good years to show its stuff...though it's library was fairly small too, about ~150ish?

The big problem was Sony's Playstation was also in development, so Sega couldn't afford to keep Frankensteining the Genesis. They needed a powerful, dedicated CD based console that could go toe to toe with Sony's.

The Saturn would have been a big hit if they didn't botch the launch.

Edited by Tulpa

That Sony guy who got to the podium, said "two ninety-nine" and then stepped down didn't help matters either.

Who'd have thought one of the most iconic speeches in video game history was just saying one number?

Yeah that one number being said was pretty much check and mate for the Saturn.

Edited by Estil