IGNORED

Anyone else feel like their own worst enemy when it comes to collecting?

32 minutes ago, Neo Geo strong said:

Do you guys find yourself more passionate about the first couple of consoles you had a kid or do you find you like consoles you never experienced as a child? That way it’s an all new experience..

i find myself really obsessed with the turbografx and I never even knew it existed as a kid.

Yeah my main obsession is the Genesis and I tend to collect for the systems I had for as a kid a lot harder than for ones I didn't. I used to have a good size SNES collection but because I never had one as a kid I just wasn't that attached to it. I sold a good portion of the games. I kept the ones I thought were cool. Until recently I was just buying, buying, buying. Now that I have a family, that money is going elsewhere along with some of the need to buy everything. I'm trying to be more focused in my goals and trying to restrain myself more. It's tough. I do go from buying games then buying movies then buying comics and then back to buying games, etc... so it comes in waves. LOL

On 1/17/2020 at 5:29 AM, Neo Geo strong said:

Wow I thought I was the only one with this dilemma.. Thanks guys I will try the one month box trick and also consider putting them away in storage or my garage for awhile. i do have flash carts for genesis and turbografx and think they are wonderful.

the funny thing is the n64 was my second console ever. It definitely has games I like but mainly the ones I would miss are doom 64 and rampage world tour!  I just think I’m more into 2d games as a whole. ( plus I love space ship shoot em ups and the n64 only had one that was just ok) not counting Star Fox of course!

I have a similar relationship with my childhood PAL N64! The only games I really like playing are Starfox, Doom, Banjo, and Goldeneye, yet I always keep it setup and ready to play on my desk.

I've only sold things off when I needed the money to further my career. I figured, when I went to buy the games back, I could afford the mark up and I was right. There are only a few games I wouldn't consider rebuying like Resident Evil on Sega Saturn. I'm still working on getting some of the CIB N64 games back but I'm winding down there too. I'm more frustrated that I DIDN'T buy games than that I sold the games I had. I should've bought games like Bucky Metal Storm when decent copies would pop up for $40. Now they're just too over priced for what they're are for me to justify buying them over some childhood classics I've yet to pick up. 

I did the NES full cart set thing, have them all except SE.  Then I got sucked into boxes/manuals because ya know, collecting...been battling that demon on and off for a while.  I'll sometimes sell some of the boxes off, then kinda regret it, but get the same ones back in a lot by chance (I think I've had Hydlide cib like 8 times)...then I'm occasionally like, "well I already have like half of the set cib, might as well keep going..." but then I think about tracking down a box for some shit-ass title like Color a Dino or a Koei strategy game I have no interest in and it reminds me not to even waste my time and money on attempting to go further down that hole.  I was always nostalgic for the carts, and manuals as well, but for almost two decades boxes did nothing for me.  One day some switch flipped in my brain and I got sucked into boxes, and I kind of hate myself for it.  Takes up a ton of space and is also a money pit if you don't play your cards right.  Anyway, in the end my rule is if I just don't enjoy the game enough to consider it a high quality title or nostalgic banger then it remains cart only.  CIBs are reserved for the hits, or strange unpopular games I just really enjoyed playing a lot, and occasionally a bad game gets a pass for truly amazing artwork.  I did do a full black box set cib and absolutely love it; would not break that up ever.  But yeah I feel this thread.  Every time I reacquired a Hydlide box again after selling it off of I'd be like, "Hello there old friend!" Haha.

Edited by 8bitsupremacy

I'm definitley my own worst enemy when it comes to retro gaming. I'm never going to get round to playing everything I own and that does bother me. I'm actually coming round to the idea of going flashcart only or even emulation only. I can still enjoy the games and put my money to better use.

Edited by Cepp