IGNORED

Vintage 1981 footage inside Atari dev "Games by Apollo" HQ

acromite53

This is some great footage showing the planning, programming, composing, and manufacturing inside "Games by Apollo"'s HQ facility. They developed numerous 2600 games back in the day but were another victim of the video game crash. This is a local company to me. I drove by the old HQ to check it out. It's now an inconspicuous office building. Still cool to see where it all happened! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

This is really neat, the four to six weeks turnaround mentioned at the beginning was kind of funny to me. But I suppose for simple games, it doesn't take that much...

Even for Atari games, that's a frantic pace. But I guess insane deadlines have always been part of game development.

Edited by Tulpa

9 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Even for Atari games, that's a frantic pace. But I guess insane deadlines have always been part of game development.

I wonder how much it really is. I would like to assume that they re-use code, and if you have multiple people coding a game, I feel like it could be reasonably possible. It would still be a time crunch and quality would suffer however...