IGNORED

NES Artist Compilation Album Cart

zi

As you guys know, I make chiptunes for the NES and release albums on cart.

I've ALWAYS believed in my heart of hearts that there's more artists out there and in the bottom of my heart secretly believed that one day I could organize a compilation album.

That day is today. well, this is the easy part, generating hype. I'd like to just use famitracker for the ease of famitone exportation- and i'm sure they'll be instrument limitations (like only use x number of instruments), but that'll get tagged in the below (upcoming) table.

Who's in? have a song (or two) in your heart that you'd like pressed and released to the world??!?!?!? I have my website (bleepbop or bleepboprecords) as a platform for distribution and we all have a lot of social media presence for marketing...

who's in? @TylerBarnes @Jaden @KHAN Games?

Edited by zi
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, zi said:

I'd like to just use famitracker for the ease of famitone exportation

Hmmmm, I will have to learn Fami if this is the case. I use MML/ppMCK for all my NSF tunes. The multiNSF exporting and |:loops:| I can create to save space are really nice 

Any chance you could point me to the version of Fami one should be using these days? Just the latest release or some fork out there? 

• Like 1

I know it's early stages, but any thought into the UI design and all that, Identity of the cart, Animation/visualization, Mapper, etc? 

And if you are allowing samples, it may also be wise to set a specific sample set that the cart uses so they can be left at $C000 (the start of the fixed bank) for all the tracks to use. This can save space if we all use the same samples. There has got to be a good kick, snare, etc combination that would be good for multiple tracks. Could help meld the tunes together a bit and make the release more cohesive. (Though, I have no idea how Fami takes care of samples. I assume it's the same as ppMCK since for bankswapping they would have to be in the fixed bank.)

Edited by TylerBarnes

soooooooo i've seen rob (sly dog) do an effect where he reads the music as it rolls by and then displays the volume (0-15) with sprites, or background draws, who knows- making it look like an equalizer! 

i thought, man, wouldn't it be cool if we could 'read' the musical output and then change sprites on screen depending on what's being outputted (played)? 

this is pie in the sky stuff- i'm more about getting everyone on the same software and then getting those tracks together!

2 hours ago, zi said:

i'm more about getting everyone on the same software and then getting those tracks together!

There is always Bankswitching for multiple different non-bankswitching NSFs. UNROM is cheap and has 7 switchable bank and a fixed bank at $C000. 

16 minutes ago, zi said:

is it hard to pull from the ooc famitracker fork for a cart? could famitone even work??!?!

I have never used famitracker and thus have never looked at the text exporting, the difference between 0CC vs vanilla, nor the documentation for Famitone2. 

However, intercepting values to be displayed as sprites may require a solid understanding of how famitone operates. The binary file that the famitone converter spits out may or may not be in a useful format to also dip into as for a visualizer. 

I think something can certainly be made that is a cool animation or visual aspect to keep things interesting on screen. 

I wish more people used ppMCK though 😛. You can poke values directly into RAM with the y command at any point during the song. Those could be used to very easily sync the timing of a track to any subroutine in the main code.

freakin, ppmck.i've done it, for 2 albums- and actually took a few weeks to unspin from ppmck to famitracker for the sole reason of the convenience of famitone/asm.

it's rough when you'd like to play a pattern in the middle of the song and have to pull everything down (or comment out), compile, listen, swear, find the note that should be E16 instead of E8... rinse, repeat.

the tracker format is a comfortable gui, gives you a ton of nice options for effects, and takes the technical schlog out of composing.

get FT and give it a shot. I can send you a few ftm files if it'll help...

there's also a secret (or not so secret) new release of famitone on nesdev which allows for more effects and a higher acceptable note range- i'll try and track that down

@Cris nice- welcome aboard! love the work, bubble pop is running non-stop this morning! We'll be using vanilla Famitracker, but with effects- are you comfortable in that arena?

@TylerBarnes sorry, i straight up didn't sent you a file. i'll PM it when i get home. I've been hitting folks up on r/chiptune who've posted NES chip tunes and will get on twitter right now!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Famitracker user so I'm confortable with that, just I wanna know about some limitations. I'm in a NESmakers group and sometimes they say that NES carts can't support stuff like DPCM channel for some bug with input controllers, commands and colum volume, I think this is gonna be different so I wanna know more about this project.

On 1/26/2020 at 12:51 AM, Cris said:

DPCM channel for some bug with input controllers,

This is a very real bug, but only applies in games where the player is hitting buttons constantly and their inputs need to be honored 100% of the time. For a simple NSF player and song selector it is no trouble at all. 

DCPM samples are welcome.