IGNORED

How often do you "complete" your games?

Gloves

On 1/12/2020 at 7:37 PM, BortLicensePlate said:

Depends on how much I like the game. I'm working on 100%ing the end is nigh, because I enjoyed the game a lot and am not bored of it yet. But if I dont end up liking a game that much I wont bother. 

Good call, I friggin love that game.  I either 100%'d it, or got insanely close - I think I 100%'d everything except the gauntlet at the end.

2 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

Good call, I friggin love that game.  I either 100%'d it, or got insanely close - I think I 100%'d everything except the gauntlet at the end.

Yeah it is an excellent game for sure. I have 99% of the tumors, still have to find all the carts. Also avoiding guides cuz thats no fun

8 hours ago, Boosted52405 said:

Oh man, it gets so much better as the story continues on 🙂  (I still need to finish it myself but have been playing lately)

I'm terrible about Switch games the last year.  I've so wanted to take down this or that and get so flighty and go to the next thing and then months go by.

I've got 2 new games i've yet to even use yet (Collection of Mana and Umihara Kawase) as they were on 50%+ off sales.  DQ11 is way away from done and love that one.  I'll never finish Skyrim just enjoy it for what it is.  Currently last working on Link's Awakening but seem to pick at it just once a week.  Not sure what my deal is with Mega Man 11 but I can't remember the last time it was played.  Octopath Traveler has been so long probably should just quit and restart or sell it.  And I got Yoshi before Christmas out of a discount price and only did probably 20% of it.  This doesn't even roll up into it unfinished business elsewhere or a few other titles on the Switch still too as that's just examples.  I wish my motivation wasn't so destroyed because if I start I'm fine, starting is entirely the problem.

Oh wow; I don't know if I've fully "finished" a game in years.  I do remember what I still consider my proudest achievement sometime around 2003-04ish when I somehow managed to get all 400 emblems from the two Sonic Adventure games on the GC.  And for SA2B it only took me 93 hours!  And that's not counting the time I spent on raising my chao on Sonic Advance (I still have the save files including that chao, a silver chao I named Omega) so he could win all the Chao emblems!  Of course this was back when my gaming options were far more limited.  Oh yeah, I managed to get 101% on Donkey Kong 64...including all 3500 regular bananas even though you don't get any credit for it.  And I've (somehow) managed to finish all the MegaMan Battle Network games (all chips, all title screen stars/badges) except for Battle Chip Challenge and Battle Network 6.

But now, I've got so much that I want to do/experience not just in gaming but my other hobbies such as my encyclopedia yearbooks, my local newspaper archive, I'm trying to get back into Japanese with that DuoLingo place (and I also want to later use My Japanese Coach on the DS and the Rosetta Stone program I got years ago) and I tend to rotate around these during the day in short quick spurts if you get my drift.  For whatever reason (my Aspergers?) it's very hard for me to stay focused on just one task but I've now accepted that and just "go with it" regarding the rotating around thing...it's better than nothing at all.

Even so, when I'm doing a Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy game, I do try to keep at least one of every item/weapon/armor/etc.  Isn't that kinda also one of the things you have to do to truly say you "finished" the game?  Well to the extent possible I mean (FF6 for example there's that one esper that you can get converted to a weapon but you don't really want to do that because the esper and it's exclusive magic/powers you can have your characters learn is far more important.  So in that sense it's not possible to have both).

Still I bet I could (for example) get all the Star Coins in the New Super Mario Bros games if I really try hard enough...

• 3 weeks later...

There are only 2 series I have ever attempted a 100% run and those are Elder Scrolls & Grand Theft Auto. 

Coincidentally the first Elder Scrolls I played was Morrowind, the 3rd one in the series, and the first Grand Theft Auto I played was the 3rd one. There weren't achievements on PS2 for GTA3 like there was for Morrowind on XboX, but there was still a % completion rate in the menu like all other GTA games.

For GTA3 it was the first time I experienced an open world as a criminal LOL, and that really pulled me in as a kid. That made me want to explore every inch of that world since I have never experienced anything like it before. For Morrowind it was the first time an open world provided no restrictions, you could literally do whatever you wanted to do. On top of that all the classes, socio-economic and Geo-political issues, and a ground breaking RPG structure, I was hooked. I remember just going to caves, ruins, camps, shrines, and forests all before ever doing the first main quest. 

Ever since those introductions to the series I have 100% completed every game so far in each series. 

However regarding every other game I play I would never dare attempt such a bold feat. I really dont think there is enough time in the day LOL. Too many games and too little time LOL. 

Homebrew Team · Posted

Complete it, as in 100% of everything, almost never after 8-bit and 16-bit generation.  Games got so large and had tons of extra content that it is huge undertaking.  Generally, nowadays, if I really like the game, I'll finish it.  Complete the story, do all or most of the side quests. 

The last games that I recall 100% completing were Final Fantasy VII and Tactics.  I enjoyed them so much that I had to milk those games for all they were worth.  

I would have put another game into that that category above, however there were just too many drop items based on luck, I never did it.  Castlevania Symphony of the Night.  Max level, all secrets, side quests, and all map uncovered.  All items?  Hell no. 

Star Ocean Second Story as well. Have to play the game multiple times to get all the characters in both story perspective.  Which I did, but there are too many private actions and alchemy recipes for me to go down the route.  

On 1/14/2020 at 7:23 PM, Andy_Bogomil said:

Regardless, the design goal of Mario Odyssey, as you said, was to explore each inch of the map/zone with little direction and that's not what I was personally looking for. I just felt like a lot of the worlds were void of enemies and hazards and replaced with NPCs and focused on quantity over quality.  I get the design choice as it allows short play sessions and they were getting away from the 'episodes' for each world but it didn't pan out for me when all was said and done. It's all good though. We move on to play other games 🙂

I think the game was garbage like were're supposed to be so amazed by a new Mario game and absorb the nature to the point that they don't really have to put any gameplay in there. It's all so fucking nice and shiny so just run around a little and pick flowers, we'll throw in some token enemies that do nothing and call it a day. I know i criticized Breath of the Wild and this can sound similar that game had fun aspects to the exploring while this one is literally about fucking nothing.

I think they've gotten full ot themselves and are running on autopilot with the Mario franchise. It's all shine & gimmick now.

• Like 1