IGNORED

How often do you "complete" your games?

Gloves

Just now, CodysGameRoom said:

I'm a sucker for those I guess. Blame Banjo Kazooie. 😛 

Yup just not my thing. Was never a big fan of Banjo. 100% the first one back in the day and never played it again. At least Banjo had more skill involved for the collectibles compared to Odyssey. I bought the 2nd Banjo one along the way somewhere and will probably never play it (will be sold eventually). I'd rather play the challenge mode in NSMBU than Odyssey all day long.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Yup just not my thing. Was never a big fan of Banjo. 100% the first one back in the day and never played it again. At least Banjo had more skill involved for the collectibles compared to Odyssey. I bought the 2nd Banjo one along the way somewhere and will probably never play it (will be sold eventually). I'd rather play the challenge mode in NSMBU than Odyssey all day long.

Second opinion: Oddysey isnt about platforming hell, but about giving you a huge sandbox and then telling you to unearth its secrets.  I found it hugely addicting.  Whereas I can barely be bothered to play any other recent Mario games that feel low on inspiration to me.

• Like 1

If I go by your examples, why yes, I do aim for 100% completion. SMW is up there with my favorites of all time and any time I spent figuring out the secrets was pure joy.

Another good exemple was the Tekken games on PSX. I wanted to unlock all the characters, see all the little FMVs and possibly experience all the throw move animations because that was still pretty spectacular and novel then. So I kept playing and playing until that was done.

Come collect-a-fests like DK64? F**k that.

I most recently beat Castlevania Mirror of fate on 3DS with a 99% rating and I'm certain I know where I missed an item, yet the game isn't compelling enough for me to go back and complete it. Not a bad game at all, but hardly worth another full playthrough. Same with some Lego games I remember playing. I went for a bunch of sub-completion objectives like having all the mini-figures and models because that was part of seeing everything the levels had in them but I never legit 100%'d any of them because it gets tedious.

I guess I only go for it if the actual process feels good, not because there's some reward at the end.

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

How do you "100%" Battle Garegga?

https://www.truetrophies.com/game/Battle-Garegga-Rev-2016/trophies

It's basically fucking worthless and means nothing, they let you use continues to "clear" the game, a "100%" means absolutely nothing in terms of skill at the game.  Lol what a joke, you can "100%" Battle Garegga and not even know how to play the game or what the fuck is even going on.

"Modern Gaming" - You can "100%" a game without even knowing how to play it.

Edited by peg
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I actually did get 100% on everything in Yoshi's Island. It did a good job of making me wonder what happens when you get all 100's in a world. Ok, but now what happens when you get 100% in the bonus level? You get a yellow star on the title screen. THE TITLE SCREEN. You can turn it on and immediately see the progress. I remember getting so mad at the World 3 bonus level, but I did finally do it. I also remember getting all the medals in Star Fox 64.

Nowadays, like everyone else, Fun Is King. If the game is still fun, I'm going to keep playing it. I even still go for 100% in some games. As soon as it's not fun anymore, it goes in the pile. If cheating briefly at a game makes it fun again, I'm doing it.

It's not common anymore for a game to live in my brain, making me constantly try to sneak away for 4 minutes to play it a little more, until it's completely dry. But Zelda and Mario on Switch both did that, so you better believe I'm going to shell out for the sequels. Video games are drugs.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, peg said:

It's basically fucking worthless and means nothing, they let you use continues to "clear" the game, a "100%" means absolutely nothing in terms of skill at the game.  Lol what a joke, you can "100%" Battle Garegga and not even know how to play the game or what the fuck is even going on.

Wow. Considering how much crazy stuff you can do in Garegga, those trophies are absurdly boring. Not even one for beating the game?

At least there's one for flamingoes.

I think for me, it just depends on the game.  Others have said something similar, but if getting 100% is fun, i will go for it.  If not, I just don't care.

Here is my example:

Crash Bandicoot 1 and 2 are some of my favorite games.  In Crash 1, getting 100% is pretty tricky.  To get a gem for a level, not only do you need to get all of the boxes, but you need to do it without losing a life.  That can be pretty frustrating in the later challenging levels.  However, in Crash 2, you have to get all of the boxes, but it doesn't matter how many times you die.  For that reason, I have only completed Crash 1 at 100% once in my entire life.  However, I've completed Crash 2 at 100% more times than I can count.  And that doesn't mean I won't play Crash 1.  I still love the game.  But when I play Crash 1, I play it until I beat the game.  When I play Crash 2, I play it until I 100% it.  

1 hour ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

If I go by your examples, why yes, I do aim for 100% completion. SMW is up there with my favorites of all time and any time I spent figuring out the secrets was pure joy.

Another good exemple was the Tekken games on PSX. I wanted to unlock all the characters, see all the little FMVs and possibly experience all the throw move animations because that was still pretty spectacular and novel then. So I kept playing and playing until that was done.

Come collect-a-fests like DK64? F**k that.

I most recently beat Castlevania Mirror of fate on 3DS with a 99% rating and I'm certain I know where I missed an item, yet the game isn't compelling enough for me to go back and complete it. Not a bad game at all, but hardly worth another full playthrough. Same with some Lego games I remember playing. I went for a bunch of sub-completion objectives like having all the mini-figures and models because that was part of seeing everything the levels had in them but I never legit 100%'d any of them because it gets tedious.

I guess I only go for it if the actual process feels good, not because there's some reward at the end.

OMG yes Tekken 2! My first PS game. I had to wring every ounce of joy out of it because I had no more money and no clue how I'd get another game for the system. And the CGI was amazing! I even tried recording them on my VCR. 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Wow. Considering how much crazy stuff you can do in Garegga, those trophies are absurdly boring. Not even one for beating the game?

At least there's one for flamingoes.

You'd think they'd start with having "trophies" for obvious things like:

1CC up to stage 3

1CC up to stage 5

1CC the game

Score 2 Million

Score 5 Million

etc...

You know, things that would actually demonstrate you progress in learning the game.  Modern gaming is just about letting the player feel good about themselves and pretend they doing something regardless of how much they actually suck at the game.

Edited by peg

I completely disagree about Odyssey. There was just no challenge and therefore very little fun for me. They gave us mechanics for 'platforming hell' but gave us 'Mario's first steps' w.r.t difficulty for 99.9% of the game. 120 well defined shines/stars to falling ass backwards over 880 moons! If I want to wonder around and explore a sandbox type area I'd play Zelda.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil

It really depends on just how much of a hassle it will be to get to 100% and how much I like the game. Usually I will play through once and, if possible, go back to do any small extras that aren't a big pain to get. If I have to replay the game again, then I usually just move on to the next game. 

Editorials Team · Posted
47 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I completely disagree about Odyssey. There was just no challenge and therefore very little fun for me. They gave us mechanics for 'platforming hell' but gave us 'Mario's first steps' w.r.t difficulty for 99.9% of the game. 120 well defined shines/stars to falling ass backwards over 880 moons! If I want to wonder around and explore a sandbox type area I'd play Zelda.

I feel like those are completely different sandboxes.  Like how Metroid and Mario are completely different sides scrollers or platformers.

Well luckily for all of us we get all of the above so we go with what suits us.

• Like 2

Not often enough, the last I 100% completed (until the dlc came out) was Ni no Kuni ii but since that I haven't returned to play that it's not 100 anymore.

I guess the more I think I have a tough time going back to any game that has additional dlc. Still haven't played Zelda botw's and the Xenoblade ii dlc.

9 minutes ago, MuNKeY said:

Platinum Trophy would probably been a better way I could had stated that. 

This reminded me of something I thought was odd.

In Horizon Zero Dawn on the PS4, getting 100% in game completion (tracked in your statistics) does not complete everything needed to get a platinum trophy.  Also, completing everything to get a platinum trophy does not complete everything needed to get 100% in game completion.  I've done both to confirm.  I just thought it was interesting that the game offers two different methods of "completion."  I'm sure other games work the same way, but that's one I know of for sure.

10 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Odyssey was severely watered down due to the vast number of moons. Most of them involved zero skill and a lot were tedious fetch quests for the sake of it. That game is so frustrating to me as it has superb mechanics, looks great, but suffers so badly on challenge and reward that it isn't even fun. The more I think about the game the more disappointed I am with it. When you 100% SMW and 64 you actually feel like you've accomplished something where Odyssey just felt like a time sink collect-a-thon.  

I think you may have hit on why I did most the worlds but stopped before the finish, and typically just got the total moons required plus maybe a couple to be safe before going to the next area.  The total package was stunning on the a/v and general stage side, but the moon fetching got tedious and just plain not fun.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I feel like those are completely different sandboxes.  Like how Metroid and Mario are completely different sides scrollers or platformers.

Well luckily for all of us we get all of the above so we go with what suits us.

Regardless, the design goal of Mario Odyssey, as you said, was to explore each inch of the map/zone with little direction and that's not what I was personally looking for. I just felt like a lot of the worlds were void of enemies and hazards and replaced with NPCs and focused on quantity over quality.  I get the design choice as it allows short play sessions and they were getting away from the 'episodes' for each world but it didn't pan out for me when all was said and done. It's all good though. We move on to play other games 🙂