IGNORED

Restored my Iridion II box

MiamiSlice

I saw you posted this on reddit and was hoping if would show up over here.  You mentioned using Bestine. Is this box matte of glossy? Matte boxes and labels tend to warp and stain with other cleaners, so I’m definitely interested in finding out more details. Does it work better than Goo Gone on GameStop stickers?

Oh, and Great Job!

Edited by RH

The box is semi glossy I guess? But Bestine works on anything with a magazine-cover like surface. Actually you can apply it to plain paper as well. The reason it doesn’t damage or warp it is because it flashes off (evaporates) so quickly (just like rubbing alcohol).

you shouldn’t use Goo Gone on anything. The instructions for Goo Gone say you have to wash the area afterward with water. I bet most people don’t do this. Goo Gone works because it has a chemical in it that breaks down the adhesive, but this chemical can damage surfaces if it is left to sit. Goo Gone doesn’t flash off like Bestine or alcohol so I think in the long run it’s a bad idea.

Rubbing alcohol will completely strip the art on anything paper, glossy or not. Bestine doesn’t do that. I put a lot of Bestine on this box front to rub off all the 18 year old adhesive that was left after peeling the stickers but regardless it would dry off in a couple seconds every time and even with a lot of rubbing none of the ink was removed. 

Did you see the Wipeout 64 cart I restored? I was removing stickers from the cart labels on that one. Just Bestine and q-tips. https://imgur.com/gallery/ge2TVot

hope that helps!

Edited by MiamiSlice
Typo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

The box is semi glossy I guess? But Bestine works on anything with a magazine-cover like surface. Actually you can apply it to plain paper as well. The reason it doesn’t damage or warp it is because it flashes off (evaporates) so quickly (just like rubbing alcohol).

you shouldn’t use Goo Gone on anything. The instructions for Goo Gone say you have to wash the area afterward with water. I bet most people don’t do this. Goo Gone works because it has a chemical in it that breaks down the adhesive, but this chemical can damage surfaces if it is left to sit. Goo Gone doesn’t flash off like Bestine or alcohol so I think in the long run it’s a bad idea.

Rubbing alcohol will completely strip the art on anything paper, glossy or not. Bestine doesn’t do that. I put a lot of Bestine on this box front to rub off all the 18 year old adhesive that was left after peeling the stickers but regardless it would dry off in a couple seconds every time and even with a lot of rubbing none of the ink was removed. 

Did you see the Wipeout 64 cart I restored? I was removing stickers from the cart labels on that one. Just Bestine and q-tips. https://imgur.com/gallery/ge2TVot

hope that helps!

Thanks for the tips. Great work getting rid of those ugly store stickers!

1 hour ago, drxandy said:

Nice work!! I need to get some bestine after seeing how well this turned out!!

Probably a good time for me to drop my disclaimers: 

- You should not breathe in the stuff or get it on your skin

- It's not foolproof, I've ruined a couple labels / boxes with it (only a couple)

Like yesterday I was cleaning a Kirby Super Star cart label that was so covered in I-don't-know-what that you could barely see the cover art, and I was able to remove it all, but I rubbed a bit too vigorously toward the end and ended up removing some of the black color on both sides of the word Kirby. Totally avoidable but I was being impatient. Still looks way better than before I started buy I'm just saying... be careful 🙂

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Do you think Bestine would be safe on NES boxes? I've been eyeing a nice copy of Dragon Warrior IV with a huge sticker on it.

It would, the problem is removing the sticker in the first place with a hair dryer. There’s no guarantee that the sticker isn’t baked into the box after all this time. DW4 isn’t the game I would try this on first either! I feel hesitant recommending this 😶

• Like 1

I've been using bestine ever since I saw a write up from wiggy of rosecoloredgaming maybe 10 years ago. I try to put the word out but normally get shut down by unknowledgable people stating that rubbing alcohol is just as good. I was scared too around 2-3 years ago when I believe the company produced bestine changed hands or got bought out and there was a few months time it was unavailable almost everywhere including amazon and michaels (fabric store).

4 minutes ago, RH said:

Anyone know what this magical "Bestine" stuff is?  I mean, what's the chemical called or is it some secret, hidden behind a patent type of thing?

https://www.amazon.com/Bestine-Solvent-Thinner-Rubber-Cement/dp/B006SOK9YY

Essentially it is a much quicker evaporating than rubbing alcohol solvent. I believe I'm on my 3rd quart or liter sized can.

On 1/14/2020 at 12:12 AM, MiamiSlice said:

It would, the problem is removing the sticker in the first place with a hair dryer. There’s no guarantee that the sticker isn’t baked into the box after all this time. DW4 isn’t the game I would try this on first either! I feel hesitant recommending this 😶

Just ordered some Bestine. I'll try it on a cheaper box first and report back here.

30 minutes ago, RH said:

Anyone know what this magical "Bestine" stuff is?  I mean, what's the chemical called or is it some secret, hidden behind a patent type of thing?

n-Heptane. As far as I understand heptane is the solvent that makes lighter fluid work so well, although if you get Bestine or UnDu you know what you're getting and lighter fluid has different formulations.

FWIW, while Bestine is fantastic, there is still printed paper it can damage. For example the yellow box of Famicom Super Mario Bros it took some yellow off pretty quickly for me. For 99% of paper products I have no issue with it and think it's the best stuff you can use though.

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

n-Heptane. As far as I understand heptane is the solvent that makes lighter fluid work so well, although if you get Bestine or UnDu you know what you're getting and lighter fluid has different formulations.

FWIW, while Bestine is fantastic, there is still printed paper it can damage. For example the yellow box of Famicom Super Mario Bros it took some yellow off pretty quickly for me. For 99% of paper products I have no issue with it and think it's the best stuff you can use though.

I've noticed it has a weird affinity with yellow. Whenever I use it on those old EB Games or GameStop yellow stickers a whole bunch of yellow comes off. Don't know why but I find that interesting. 

Just to add as a gentle reminder, when I used it on my Kirby Super Star cart it was mostly fine but I did remove some of the black ink around the word KIRBY after rubbing too hard. Proceed with caution!