IGNORED

My first CRT in 15 or so years

Gloves

Administrator · Posted

So I've been on the hunt for a Sony PVM to play specific games on, hoping to catch that "no input lag" feel. They're pretty expensive especially in Canada so I've been having a heck of a time, and I'm not a patient man. 

Basically though I'm looking for a smaller tv in the 10-13 inch range, just to sit in the corner of my bedroom on my new shelves I put up in there's to expand my game collection (never enough shelves!). 

Not long ago I found someone selling a little JVC for a hundred bucks on Craigslist and I'm like... Yeah, that's reasonably priced (compared to the $600 pvms)! So I get in touch and I go over there to pick up (luckily he was just two subway stops away), but the whole thing fell through when for some reason neither of us could successfully email the other. I had basically given up hope. 

Yesterday though I saw the same tv up on Kijiji and I was like "score!" cuz their messaging app ACTUALLY WORKS lol. So anyway I wint down again, and picked it up! 

My current cable setup has me only able to play ps1/2 games, but I've ordered more cables and should be playing snes and n64 in no time! 

Here's the little guy on my new shelf, along with the computer monitor I use for the mini consoles. 

JMGoKjJ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I'm pretty happy with it so far! My Japanese PS2 works swell on it, and Dodonpachi looks great! Gonna play some Parodius now, before I go to bed! 

• Like 11

Events Team · Posted

That's a nice looking grey cube you got here Doug! Congrats for the pickup working the second time.

Man, my love for accurate format and lag-free playing will eventually make me find another CRT. Got rid of a big bulky one when I purchased a AVS (playing lag-free on modern TV), but seeing that cute little thing you got here makes me believe I could squeeze that somewhere in my basement.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, guillavoie said:

That's a nice looking grey cube you got here Doug! Congrats for the pickup working the second time.

Man, my love for accurate format and lag-free playing will eventually make me find another CRT. Got rid of a big bulky one when I purchased a AVS (playing lag-free on modern TV), but seeing that cute little thing you got here makes me believe I could squeeze that somewhere in my basement.

It's so nice man. Just get a little 10 incher like me and hide it in a corner. Nobody has to know! 

Ooooh that's a neat looking one; what do all the buttons do?

And a related note, you guys should check out all the TV restorations you see on YouTube, especially the early color TVs...imagine being rich enough to be one of the first to go color!  Depending on the time period it could be around $2500-$7000 in today's money; think about that the next time you're shopping for a 4K TV and seeing how surprisingly affordable they already are (never mind there's still hardly any 4K programing).

Edited by Estil

3 hours ago, Sumez said:

JVC monitors are great. Definitely just as solid as PVMs in my book.

I've never owned a JVC but since they created some of the final, consumer grade, top-of-the-line "bubble" CRTs I want to like them better than SONY because I like the old flat bubble look over flat-screen SONY Trinitrons.  So, yeah, I was glad to see it was a JVC, rather than SONY.

If anyone has multiple PVMs, I'd be interesting in knowing if they prefer JVCs to SONYs.  I'd assume this is a good way to compare which is "better" because the PVMs will be the best that both companies could possibly produce at time of production.

Administrator · Posted
7 hours ago, Estil said:

Ooooh that's a neat looking one; what do all the buttons do?

And a related note, you guys should check out all the TV restorations you see on YouTube, especially the early color TVs...imagine being rich enough to be one of the first to go color!  Depending on the time period it could be around $2500-$7000 in today's money; think about that the next time you're shopping for a 4K TV and seeing how surprisingly affordable they already are (never mind there's still hardly any 4K programing).

The controls on this little JVC are fairly typical - chroma, brightness, contrast, etc.. I can hit two buttons at once to enter a slightly more in-depth manufacturer's menu which lets me change the horizontal position of the display, among a few other things.

8 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I just realized I don't have an actual NES lol. I got rid of mine when I got the AVS. Anybody got a spare? xD

Awww man, I just tossed one that was in bad condition but functional. I think I only have one more in a deluxe set, but I'll check later.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Thanks 1

@RH

im not sure about pro monitors but I know that the jvc consumer grade crts use shadow mask compared to Sony’s arpeture grille. 
I personally like Sony’s arpeture grille look but a lot of people say they like jvc’s over Sony. 
I’ve had both trinitron flat screen and the jvc d series (curved tube). 
imo low hours is just as important as which set. 
btw there are curved tube trinitrons too not just the flat screen. 

i have a Sony pvm 1351q and it is really nice. I would actually like more tvl for thicker scan lines. But you can’t beat how sharp the image is. 

Edited by skinnygrinny

As someone who owns a PVM, a Mitsubishi Megaview XC3730c, a consumer grade set, and a PC CRT, I gotta say that I much prefer slot mask to aperture grille for retro games. I like how it tends to soften the edges while still having an amazing picture. AGs are technically better, but I just like the Slot look. What I wouldn't give for an NEC XM or XP 29. Congrats on the JVC. Awesome little units.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

Sorry, but my time is way too valuable to be making trips to the past office for a net profit of $10. Also, I refuse to end up on Hoarders. 😂

You could list it in the free section here. It would only cost you your time and you would help save another nes and probably help out a fellow nintendo.