IGNORED

Tribute N64 controller

BortLicensePlate

Looks like retro bit is making a controller that looks similar to the hori mini pad, only substantially cheaper. I am a big fan of the original hori pads, but only have one since they're pretty expensive. Has anyone used one of these? Are they any good? You could get a set of 4 of these for the price of one hori pad

http://retro-bit.com/tribute64-n64-ocean-blue.html

2 minutes ago, erac said:

I haven't used those or the original Horis, but I have several Brawler64s, they're great.

Yes, they are the absolute best! Made me love the Nintendo 64 all over again and even more. Just natural feel and able to play every game without stress or pain on your wrist that the original control gave.

Retro-Bit's stepped their game up considerably with their controllers. Their Genesis/Saturn controllers are genuinely top-tier, nearly identical to OEM. Haven't tried the Tribute 64, though it's been on my radar for a while. That reminds me, I have a repair kit for original N64 sticks I need to use...

12 hours ago, andrew244 said:

Retro-Bit's stepped their game up considerably with their controllers. Their Genesis/Saturn controllers are genuinely top-tier, nearly identical to OEM. Haven't tried the Tribute 64, though it's been on my radar for a while. That reminds me, I have a repair kit for original N64 sticks I need to use...

It's not really the build quality that's the main concern. It's more the form factor. The Hori Mini isn't a comfortable and ergonomic controller, and modelling it off it is arguably a mistake, as it's incredibly tiny and cramped in any set of normal hands. It even makes it hard to control the analogue stick comfortably and precisely. The only reason the Hori Mini got such a good reputation to begin with is because Nintendo sanctioned its production, and because of the GameCube-style joystick.

The Brawler64 is just incredibly comfortable to use, and feels like a modern controller.

• 2 weeks later...
Homebrew Team · Posted

I only played 64 here and there at friends' houses during the console's life.  I decided to pick up one for myself recently.  I have been using a first party controller, but I had some store credit at stoneagegamer.  So I order the brawler64 pad. 

Overall it is good, but the change to the Z trigger is strange.  To go from a clicky button to a bumper with a large amount of travel seems like a miss-step to me.  Maybe I'll get to like it down the line.

Are all of you okay with the change to the Z trigger?

21 hours ago, Deadeye said:

I only played 64 here and there at friends' houses during the console's life.  I decided to pick up one for myself recently.  I have been using a first party controller, but I had some store credit at stoneagegamer.  So I order the brawler64 pad. 

Overall it is good, but the change to the Z trigger is strange.  To go from a clicky button to a bumper with a large amount of travel seems like a miss-step to me.  Maybe I'll get to like it down the line.

Are all of you okay with the change to the Z trigger?

Agreed, I also think that is the main flaw. But the "trigger" on the Hori controller is way worse, it's just a tiiiny shoulder button.

1 hour ago, ifightdragons said:

Agreed, I also think that is the main flaw. But the "trigger" on the Hori controller is way worse, it's just a tiiiny shoulder button.

I like the hori pad a lot.  Eventually I started devoting my right finger to R and left to Z.  It just sits there and never moves.  Works great for the games I play.