IGNORED

Game gear codemaster games: how to tell reigon?

3 hours ago, RpgCollector said:

The truth is much less fun. Codemaster printed and assembled all their games in the UK (both USA and Europe release versions) and shipped them to distributors. CJ had very poor sales in the USA and the remaining print run was sold in the UK. This is true of most of their games.

I’m not saying this isn’t true but how do you know this is for sure correct?

@RpgCollector

@Braveheart69

Where did you guys purchase your copies? Directly from a retailer in the 90s, or second hand during latter collecting years?

I ask because there's proof the USA box was sold in the UK (see above for a photo of the "USA" box with a UK price sticker on it) and we've seen before where something has a barcode printed on it but is wrapped in cellophane with a different regions barcode sticker on the cellophane, covering the original barcode.

I still have doubt that the game actually made it to the states.

28 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

@RpgCollector

@Braveheart69

Where did you guys purchase your copies? Directly from a retailer in the 90s, or second hand during latter collecting years?

I ask because there's proof the USA box was sold in the UK (see above for a photo of the "USA" box with a UK price sticker on it) and we've seen before where something has a barcode printed on it but is wrapped in cellophane with a different regions barcode sticker on the cellophane, covering the original barcode.

I still have doubt that the game actually made it to the states.

As the old saying goes, if a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, did it make a sound?

Along those lines, if a company makes 5,000 copies to sell in the US but only releases them in the UK, is it a US copy, just distributed outside the US, or is it an odd UK variant?

Why are there so many, hard philosophical questions in game collecting?!

Edited by RH
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, RH said:

As the old saying goes, if a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, did it make a sound?

Along those lines, if a company makes 5,000 copies to sell in the US but only releases them in the UK, is it a US copy, just distributed outside the US, or is it an odd UK variant?

Why are there so many, hard philosophical questions in game collecting?!

haha. I mean, I have my copy, regardless, I'm set whether or not. I still lean to the side of including it as part of the set. But I'm very curious. I wonder if anyone who used to work for Codemasters would know for sure...

2 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

haha. I mean, I have my copy, regardless, I'm set whether or not. I still lean to the side of including it as part of the set. But I'm very curious. I wonder if anyone who used to work for Codemasters would know for sure...

The funny thing is I actually tried to search LinkedIn to see if I could connect with anyone just yesterday.  I went through a bunch of names associated with the company today, but I didn't see any "grey beards".  I doubt theirs many people still their from the 90s.  Unfortunately, LinkedIn does not provide a good way to search through companies and former employees.  I don't use Facebook.  Maybe they have a way of searching organizations by date ranges.

Edited by RH
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

So which one of you jokers got that CIB C J Elephant today? It would have been me but I couldn't get the seller to take my BO before someone bought it. I got them down to $175 but I was trying for a bit less because it would have literally cleared out my game funds.

Edited by RH

2 minutes ago, Craigly1234 said:

how much were they asking?

Started at $200 with BO.  I have a bank account I use for game collecting. I put a hold on using extra funds to buy games while I've been working to get a new job.  If I could have literally gotten the seller to do about $5 cheaper than their final offer, I would have gotten that game.  I'd have no collecting funds, but I'd finally have a game I'd been looking for, for a long time.

You should check out the sellers other items.  It's a bunch rare GG stuff.

11 minutes ago, RH said:

Started at $200 with BO.  I have a bank account I use for game collecting. I put a hold on using extra funds to buy games while I've been working to get a new job.  If I could have literally gotten the seller to do about $5 cheaper than their final offer, I would have gotten that game.  I'd have no collecting funds, but I'd finally have a game I'd been looking for, for a long time.

You should check out the sellers other items.  It's a bunch rare GG stuff.

Ohhh seller link please!

• 3 years later...

*Get's out my signal horn*

NECRO BUMP!

Well, a couple of days ago I made this purchase.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/386749355472

A CIB, Fantastic Dizzy for $135, shipped.  Note, the box appears to be UK but since I've seen absolutely no evidence that Fantastic Dizzy's cart had the purple bar, I'm assuming this as a US item, even if it was sold in the US.

But with that said, it's been almost 4 years since the last post on here.  Have any of you guys unearthed any new info about these CodeMaster games?  Was I hoodwinked and I have a UK-only version and no one has posted a purple-barred Fantastic Dizzy?

I know I've seen the purple-bar boxes, but I've not seen a Fantastic Dizzy cartridge label in the years I've been searching that looked like that.

And with that said, is there any chance that this is a US version?  I reread the entire conversation that took place regarding CodeMaster variants.  I'm currently operating under the assumption that this was a UK game imported some time to the US, but who knows?  Maybe some of these specific variants slipped over to the US in an official capacity.  If anyone has any reasonable proof that this did, or might have, happened.  Please share!

Anyway, regardless of the box/manual regional classification, I'm glad to finally scratch off the complete CodeMaster set of GG  games and I'm also approaching the half-way mark for the complete GG, USA set.  My most-expensive needed game at this point is Arena Maze of Death and they taper off in value from there reasonably fast.  It might be another 18 months, but getting a complete GG set is starting to feel reasonable.  According to Price Charting my total remaining game needs is about $1,900 and for a 2ish year project, I'll take it.

To complicate matters, many European versions were sold in Canada because of Quebec's language laws.  It was cheaper to use Euro copies that already had both French and English text than to make a third variation.  The system being region free makes it a smart business decision, though it really complicated shit for collectors.

Note that this was also true on the Atari 2600. There's tons of PAL boxes and manuals floating around here because of that.

There is a picture of the US Dizzy on pricecharting, I've attached it below. 
240.jpg

Regarding the US vs UK version I have seen it pop up sometimes, but like CJ Elephant and Cosmic Spacehead it's very uncommon to locate the US purple bar version.  I missed a box of Dizzy to a known reseller last summer and it was up on Mercari within a short period of time for a ridiculous amount.  

I am still on the hunt for a purple bar copy of Fantastic Dizzy if anyone might have one for sale (looking at you @MrWunderful 😉 ).  It's one of the literal handful of games I'm still looking for in the US set.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, xelement5x said:

There is a picture of the US Dizzy on pricecharting, I've attached it below. 
240.jpg

Regarding the US vs UK version I have seen it pop up sometimes, but like CJ Elephant and Cosmic Spacehead it's very uncommon to locate the US purple bar version.  I missed a box of Dizzy to a known reseller last summer and it was up on Mercari within a short period of time for a ridiculous amount.  

I am still on the hunt for a purple bar copy of Fantastic Dizzy if anyone might have one for sale (looking at you @MrWunderful 😉 ).  It's one of the literal handful of games I'm still looking for in the US set.  

If you’re talking about the box, the yes, it’s been established that a purple barred box exists.  No one has found a purple barred cartridge though and that would be BIG news.

1 hour ago, RH said:

If you’re talking about the box, the yes, it’s been established that a purple barred box exists.  No one has found a purple barred cartridge though and that would be BIG news.

Ah I didn't know you were talking about the cart not the box.  Yeah CJ and Dizzy never got unique labels as far as I could find in the years I've been watching.

It's funny though, the Euro copy of CJ has US styling on the cart, whereas the US version of Dizzy keeps the Euro style.  Probably just manufacturing shenanigans for keeping costs down.

On 2/8/2024 at 4:51 PM, RH said:

Please post photos.

Hey there, if you shoot me an email at wunderfulgaming@gmail.com next time I am at my unit I will grab it and email you a picture If In fact, it is a purple bar. I could’ve sworn it was, but I may be mistaken. I think I bought it, even though it had a thrashed label for that specific fact.