IGNORED

I try not to be this way but... kids these days. Kids are affraid of their FAFSA paperwork because it will sign them up for Selective Services

RH

14 minutes ago, MachineCode said:

With the current size of our military, we would need to not only go to war, but also suffer thousands of casualties within a short period of time before it even made sense to talk about considering a draft. It's also a surefire way out of a job for any politician who supports such a measure.

Came here to say this. 

only A war with china would cause a draft, and that would be after 250,000+ service members were killed (which would probably be a nuclear war anyways)

I graduated HS in 2009 and don't remember the SS ever being brought up except for some passing comments from my grandfather I think. The only reason I actively went and did it was I applied for a job at the post office later that year and it was on the form asking if you had done it. Until filling out the application I never thought of it. Im sure some of my friends didn't do it until way later or maybe never have. Now Im curious to find out

1 minute ago, Estil said:

But did you buy it?

No, my parents did. It was a Christmas gift. But, honestly, I grew up in a family where respect for firearms, and solid training was taught at a young age. I know that sounds wild today but it was the first step in our brother and I taking a deeper level of responsibility and we were trained to use it.  We got them that year, but it wasn’t followed up with my brother and I running out the back door shooting them at each other.

7 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I graduated HS in 2009 and don't remember the SS ever being brought up except for some passing comments from my grandfather I think. The only reason I actively went and did it was I applied for a job at the post office later that year and it was on the form asking if you had done it. Until filling out the application I never thought of it. Im sure some of my friends didn't do it until way later or maybe never have. Now Im curious to find out

Well, to be clear, I’m not throwing any shade pr shaming anyone for not doing it.  10 years can make a big difference but back in 1999, you knew to do it and you did it. It wasn’t out of duty. It was out of understanding that it was a hoop you just had to jump through and, again, the DOD even mailed the form to you on your birthday.

But, maybe they don’t inform the general population like they use to and they even stopped sending out the forms.  It goes to show how necessary it is or even concerned that there will ever be a draft any time soon/ever.

2 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Damn.  Got mine at 13.  BB gun when I was 8.

I got a BB gun (well a pump-action pellet rifle) a few years later. I honestly liked it better. It didn’t cost much to use and it was better for target practice.

...and, yes, I did grow up in South Carolina.  How did you know?!

Edited by RH

7 minutes ago, RH said:

No, my parents did. It was a Christmas gift. But, honestly, I grew up in a family where respect for firearms, and solid training was taught at a young age. I know that sounds wild today but it was the first step in our brother and I taking a deeper level of responsibility and we were trained to use it.  We got them that year, but it wasn’t followed up with my brother and I running out the back door shooting them at each other.

Doesn't sound "wild today" to me at all...I grew up in rural area are just like I'm presuming you did (I didn't really take up firearms myself though; I'm just as much a 2nd Amendment person as the next guy (it does say word for word "the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms" and I'm sure it saying that and coming right after the 1st Amendment was no accident/fluke) but I don't think I personally would be all that comfortable with them in my own home...hypocrite I know).  And really basic firearms safety comes down to just three simple rules:

1. Keep any and all firearms and ammo locked and out of reach of small children and anyone else who does not need to be around them.

2. Treat any and all firearms as if it's loaded and ready to fire.

3. Never point a firearm at anything or anyone you don't intend to shoot.

And before we have to start passing around smelling salts or something, keep in mind the most famous shooter in all of American history not only started shooting at age eight but both of her parents were Quakers (pacifist sort of denomination)!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annie_Oakley

Edited by Estil

3 minutes ago, RH said:

Well, to be clear, I’m not throwing any shade pr shaming anyone for not doing it.  10 years can make a big difference but back in 1999, you knew to do it and you did it. It wasn’t out of duty. It was out of understanding that it was a hoop you just had to jump through and, again, the DOD even mailed the form to you on your birthday.

But, maybe they don’t inform the general population like they use to and they even stopped sending out the forms.  It goes to show how necessary it is or even concerned that there will ever be a draft any time soon/ever.

No, no I didn't take anything you said as passing judgment. Im just reading your guys stories of all being informed to do it and it was kinda part of the deal at 18 and I don't remember any of that happening when I turned 18. You would think the high school would have made a fairly big deal about it

• Like 1

Just now, LeatherRebel5150 said:

No, no I didn't take anything you said as passing judgment. Im just reading your guys stories of all being informed to do it and it was kinda part of the deal at 18 and I don't remember any of that happening when I turned 18. You would think the high school would have made a fairly big deal about it

That’s kind of the weird thing.  It wasn’t so much a big deal.  The word was just out that it’s what you were to do, so you did it.  No one was worried that big, bad boogieman govco would come and get you, but because it was just mentioned a lot by public service, you just knew it was something you had to do.  I’m trying to think of something similar but, honestly, I don’t think our society has many “have to do”s now.  I guess it’s like kids having to go to school.  Sure, people might homeschool or put their kids in private school, but no one complains that all kids have to be educated.  You just get it—it had to be done.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lincoln said:

Those of us who turned 18 in the late 90s or before didn't live in a post 9/11 world or have a leader openly threatening war crimes. I can understand how kids today with the information they have available would be anxious about the draft.

When I turned 18 after 9/11 and the war on terror was ramping up the sergeant I talked to didn’t make it sound like a “silly” formality or reassure me that they were well manned enough that I would be unlikely to be called upon. 

Kids today have grown up in a constant state of political, social, and economic anxiety.  $hit is about to boil over in Iran.  But hey man, why worry?

I don’t remember doing this nor ever hearing anything about it being mandatory.  Class of 98. I do remember there was a recruiting center between the high school and the pizza place where we hung out after school every day. And I mean easy walking distance. I never set foot in it nor was I ever approached. 

3 hours ago, Link said:

I don’t remember doing this nor ever hearing anything about it being mandatory.  Class of 98. I do remember there was a recruiting center between the high school and the pizza place where we hung out after school every day. And I mean easy walking distance. I never set foot in it nor was I ever approached. 

Really?  Around that time I remember selective service forms and signs in every post office.

Must have been a slow day for the writters of that article. Of course students don't wanna sign up for selective services, myself included. However, like previously said, it is required by law for males ages 18 and up to sign up. So that said, whatever, you just gotta get over it and do it.

Am I the only tired of seeing articles that follow the formula of "generation * is bad because *"? It's rediculous because they are just cheap shots at something (like this) that is a pointless when there is better stuff to worry about. 

2 hours ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

Must have been a slow day for the writters of that article. Of course students don't wanna sign up for selective services, myself included. However, like previously said, it is required by law for males ages 18 and up to sign up. So that said, whatever, you just gotta get over it and do it.

Am I the only tired of seeing articles that follow the formula of "generation * is bad because *"? It's rediculous because they are just cheap shots at something (like this) that is a pointless when there is better stuff to worry about. 

Ah, don't be offended. We all caught it.  You're catching it now (assuming you're under 30) and, guess what, 30 years from now your kids and my grand kids will be catching it.  Sure, before 2000, the internet wasn't entirely ubiquitous, but people always complained and worried about the younger generation.

Don't worry. Your generation will grow out of it.  You'll have a solid 10 years to have some fun and not care and then... you'll start complaining about "Generation Omega", or whatever.

18 hours ago, RH said:

Yup that's what BB guns are for 😉