IGNORED

You guys put any stock into the "Switch Pro in 2020" rumors?

ErickRPG

On 1/9/2020 at 8:29 AM, Estil said:

Actually they did with the software.  Black GBC cartridges can also work with the original or Super Game Boy (usually with a border or even its own color palette though not as good as on a GBC/GBA) while clear ones only work on GBC/GBA.  So they could totally make Pro only cartridges if they really wanted to.

They made DS carts that only work w the DSi and 3DS carts that only work with the *new 3DS. 

1 hour ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Why would they bother with upgrading the Lite to 4k?   With that screen size who would notice?

38 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

It would make zero sense, other than the hardware refresh other potential outcomes.  They'd have to beef up the tegra or tegra replacement processor there along with the system memory too more or less, so you'll end up with more detailed better games the old hardware would fail to run.  It would make sense to have the cheaper handheld model only for that alone.

Based on recent FCC fillings, it appears all externals will remain the same (i.e. the screen should remain 720p). This appears to be just a CPU/GPU/RAM boost which is what the system desperately needs. The 4K talk in some of the articles going around is nonsense when it comes to gaming. This updated model may be capable of 4K video output, but I'm 99% sure that means YouTube/Netflix streaming rather than gaming. Instead I suspect this will target 1080p/30-60fps docked and 720p/30-60fps portable. Hopefully this will also mean more AAA third party games which are essentially impossible to port right now.

1 hour ago, phart010 said:

Still waiting on developers to leak some info on a new dev kit.. haven’t heard anything yet.

In my opinion, with the strong demand shown for the Switch v2 over this whole pandemic and the fact that production has just now started flowing again, I think there’s still a few more months of guaranteed console sales before demand is back in equilibrium. 

That gets us to the holiday season. And once you get to the holiday season, there’s some more guaranteed sales..

So they can’t announce a new console prior to the holiday season. That would basically slam the brakes on all of these sales that they can expect from Switch v2 between now and the end of Q4. I think that if they do have something to announce regarding a new system, they will announce it no earlier than Q1 2021. 

Agreed. I would be absolutely shocked to see an announcement in 2020. I suspect this will be a Q2 2021 device. Nintendo prides itself on balancing supply and demand almost perfectly (the Switch shortages over the last few months have surely ruffled feathers at home), so I think they are aiming for at least 6 months of production prior to sales. This also gives them time to distance from the PS5/Xbox launches, but still take advantage of likely shortages in those consoles.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Based on recent FCC fillings, it appears all externals will remain the same (i.e. the screen should remain 720p). This appears to be just a CPU/GPU/RAM boost which is what the system desperately needs. The 4K talk in some of the articles going around is nonsense when it comes to gaming. This updated model may be capable of 4K video output, but I'm 99% sure that means YouTube/Netflix streaming rather than gaming. Instead I suspect this will target 1080p/30-60fps docked and 720p/30-60fps portable. Hopefully this will also mean more AAA third party games which are essentially impossible to port right now.

Well that fits with little things I been told then later saw online. A true “ps4 pro” aka go to gbc and ds to DSi etc push.  Same thing but far more capable while still allowing older compatibility for games not needing more only restricting what is needed like gbc only vs hybrid carts. It’s the best path. 

You know, I'd be all for this if it weren't for that fact that we have 30 years of history proving that Nintendo never, ever chooses to meet product demand.

Basically, I really would like this as of yesterday and I'd fork out the cash for the upgrade, but I don't want to have to pay a scalper tax, nor scour/search retailers for 3 months to find one.

If people are interested, may be we can do the same thing we did with the SNES Mini where we created a list of people wanting one, and if you found two, in a shop, you agreed to get one for yourself and another to sell to someone on the list at-cost (plus shipping, of course.)

That worked well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RH said:

You know, I'd be all for this if it weren't for that fact that we have 30 years of history proving that Nintendo never, ever chooses to meet product demand.

Historically they play supply and demand against each other very well. What companies want is to sell every unit in the store for full price as fast as possible, once it hits shelves (retail or digital). Nintendo continually manages to milk full price hardware / software long after it's release bc of how the tip toe the supply and demand line.

With COVID, it seemed there actually was a shortage due to production and shipping issues. But overall, Nintendo would rather have empty shelves than stocked shelves waiting for clearance. It's their philosophy as a brand. 

With that said I am expecting *new 3DS like upgrades to the Switch without the exclusive titles, since the *new 3DS is a was smoother experience than the original 3DS but the exclusives didn't catch on. 

• Like 1

I have a feeling that the Newer model Switch is being made in large part so that it will be easier to port existing PS4 and XBox-One games over. With the extra power of a new model, it will be less necessary to downscale textures and graphical effects for it to run on Switch. 

However, what that would mean is that the ported games might not work on the less powerful Switch, unless the developers put in the extra effort to make a downscaled mode of the game for the original hardware.

Edited by phart010

4 hours ago, RH said:

If people are interested, may be we can do the same thing we did with the SNES Mini where we created a list of people wanting one, and if you found two, in a shop, you agreed to get one for yourself and another to sell to someone on the list at-cost (plus shipping, of course.)

That worked well.

Something I'd be down for as well.  Participated in the NES and SNES ones and it worked out well for almost everyone on the list.

4 hours ago, phart010 said:

I have a feeling that the Newer model Switch is being made in large part so that it will be easier to port existing PS4 and XBox-One games over. With the extra power of a new model, it will be less necessary to downscale textures and graphical effects for it to run on Switch. 

However, what that would mean is that the ported games might not work on the less powerful Switch, unless the developers put in the extra effort to make a downscaled mode of the game for the original hardware.

This is the real question. Obviously it will be 100% compatible with the current library, but will Nintendo allow Switch Pro exclusives? As a gamer, I hope they do. As a consumer, I'm somewhat torn. From Nintendo's standpoint, they have to weigh the PR hit of a quick and incompatible system upgrade versus the potential profit that comes with more third-party ports. As things currently stand, new AAA games simply cannot be ported to the Switch and Nintendo is missing out on some significant cash.

Let's do a little math: Licensing/Royalty fees to the platform holder have historically been around 10% of sales price, so that's about $6 of revenue that goes to Nintendo for every $60 game sale. Let's be conservative and say there are five AAA games per year that would have sold a million copies on the Switch, but were not ported due to technical limitations. Those five games would account for about $30 million in lost revenue per year. That number doesn't account for the dozens of other games that would also sell a reasonable number of copies or the rare games that will sell millions of copies.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about potential revenue rather than losses, so it is somewhat abstract. That being said, I guarantee you that Nintendo's accountants have some very detailed numbers on this exact subject.

So, how much does bad PR cost? $10 million? $20 million? I'd say almost nothing because the subset of gamers who want those AAA games on Switch do not overlap completely with the subset of gamers who just want Mario, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon. So I think from a business and entertainment standpoint, Nintendo absolutely will allow Switch Pro exclusives. To keep the controversy to a minimum, I believe their own games will continue to play on both versions of the console, leaving Switch Pro exclusives to third parties.

When I come back here and quote this post in 6 months, will I look like a wise sage or a misguided fool? Only time will tell.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

So, how much does bad PR cost? $10 million? $20 million? I'd say almost nothing because the subset of gamers who want those AAA games on Switch do not overlap completely with the subset of gamers who just want Mario, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon. So I think from a business and entertainment standpoint, Nintendo absolutely will allow Switch Pro exclusives. Thier own games will always work on both versions of the console, but third parties may have that option.

That would be an interesting move considering the *new 3DS exclusive games were Nintendo IPs. I think it would actually work in their favor to do the opposite as you mentioned. 

However, there may need to be some physical difference between the OG and the upgrade, more than the red box they made for the past revision. If the two models don't share a library then they'll need them to be visibly distinguishable or there will be backlash from consumers as well.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

That would be an interesting move considering the *new 3DS exclusive games were Nintendo IPs. I think it would actually work in their favor to do the opposite as you mentioned. 

However, there may need to be some physical difference between the OG and the upgrade, more than the red box they made for the past revision. If the two models don't share a library then they'll need them to be visibly distinguishable or there will be backlash from consumers as well.

Good point regarding the New 3DS having some Nintendo published games (Xenoblade and Fire Emblem Warriors). Apparently there were only a total of four New 3DS exclusives released at retail with the other two being Runbow (Nighthawk Interactive???) and Minecraft (Microsoft). I never looked into it before, but it looks like the vast majority of New 3DS exclusives were digital games and third party. So maybe that's not a great reference point for this.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

Minecraft isn't a NIntendo IP, that's Microsoft and it was New3DS only as it needed that added power to pull that one off.  Nintendo on the DSi had a few unique carts and a few more downloads, but they waffled a lot and allowed for a lot of unofficial performance boosts on dozens of games that ended up just getting a standard listing.  They're not done with that either because pulled that stunt with Hyrule Warriors which crawls pretty bad on stock 3DS, and Smash Bros has some prettty notable long load times that vanish on the New model.  The more  you go back the more they've been pro choice of hybrid or upgraded system since they started it with the GBC.

The potential is just there, no reason not to cut themselves off tens  of millions in profit each year just because a few whiles will pitch a fit over an updated system.  They've dealt with whiny moms since the NES as we've all see that early 90s clip of the women moaning to the reporter how NIntendo was taking advantage of children and ripping people off with the updated SNES that won't play Super Mario 3 or Zelda.   The irrational types won't buy or they will when the price drops and a necessity is there.  They may play internet warrior and whine online or with others up front like that old clip, but they'll cave or just shut up and stick with what's there.

Hey guys sorry I've been away for awhile.  I wanted to chime in again.  I love my switch.  I have an xbox one x.  But I just enjoy playing, and collecting games on my switch much more.  So I'm definitely excited for a more powerful version.  I've been handheld gaming since the GBA.  And I've seen the graphics jump each gen.  Games on switch look nice now but it will be exciting to see the bump in graphics for handheld games.  I'm already 100% day one buyer.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 8:39 AM, ErickRPG said:

Hey guys sorry I've been away for awhile.  I wanted to chime in again.  I love my switch.  I have an xbox one x.  But I just enjoy playing, and collecting games on my switch much more.  So I'm definitely excited for a more powerful version.  I've been handheld gaming since the GBA.  And I've seen the graphics jump each gen.  Games on switch look nice now but it will be exciting to see the bump in graphics for handheld games.  I'm already 100% day one buyer.

Agreed, the GBC turned me to a primary handheld gamer in good part to how the N64 had like 3-4mo gaps with nothing to do.  N64 made me both a handheld gamer, but also not continue being just Nintendo, it got me the Turbo Duo. 🙂  I've enjoyed the jumps like you  GB with doubles memory and CPU to see what same basic puffed up parts could do on a GBC.  The DSi never was right exploited, but the 3DS kind of was with how some hybrid level releases blow/lag/load screen hell on 3DS (Hyrule Warriors, Smash) and then the exclusives (Xenoblade, Minecraft) have shown us.  Imagine a Switch that can handle tweaked PS4/Pro level stuff with 2-4x more system memory and a twice sped up main cpu/gpu could do?  You'd have these nice updates on that modular board the Switch uses and it could be phenomenal.  A solid 2021 or early 2022(like Switch was March) would be well placed.

if it's true it's also smart on Nintendo's part.  Because if you can make a Switch that is just powerful enough to handle like 720p portable versions of next gen games they can continue to receive more 3rd party ports.  Sure they'd be downgraded as they are now.  if Switch can handle Jurassic Park Evolution for heaven's sake.  A new more powerful switch could certainly handle Cyberpunk 2077 for example.

23 hours ago, ErickRPG said:

if it's true it's also smart on Nintendo's part.  Because if you can make a Switch that is just powerful enough to handle like 720p portable versions of next gen games they can continue to receive more 3rd party ports.  Sure they'd be downgraded as they are now.  if Switch can handle Jurassic Park Evolution for heaven's sake.  A new more powerful switch could certainly handle Cyberpunk 2077 for example.

Wow good point and I had no idea that game was on(coming to) the Switch.  That is kind of tempting either doing the adventure or making your own Jurassic Park as like some sim(city?) ish type way about thing as that could be fun.  We know about and have Witcher 3 and that works surprisingly well, and people want cyberpunk but it's not very likely, yet if they did that similar capacity ramp up in guts like their previous handhelds leapt up to then sure that would work.

58 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Wow good point and I had no idea that game was on(coming to) the Switch.  That is kind of tempting either doing the adventure or making your own Jurassic Park as like some sim(city?) ish type way about thing as that could be fun.  We know about and have Witcher 3 and that works surprisingly well, and people want cyberpunk but it's not very likely, yet if they did that similar capacity ramp up in guts like their previous handhelds leapt up to then sure that would work.

Oh you never heard of Jurassic World Evolution?  It is a Dinosaur Park builder that's from the makers of Planet Coaster.  (Frontier).  They made Roller Coaster Tycoon 3.  Then they branced off now they make amazing park building sims including Zoo Tycoon as well.  They are releasing a console version of Planet Coaster.  So who knows, maybe we'll see Planet Coaster on the Switch 2 (or Switch Pro)?  I'd love that!  I mean I know it's downgraded, but I kinda want to get Jurassic World Evolution for Switch instead of my Xbox One X just because of portability!

9 hours ago, ErickRPG said:

Oh you never heard of Jurassic World Evolution?  It is a Dinosaur Park builder that's from the makers of Planet Coaster.  (Frontier).  They made Roller Coaster Tycoon 3.  Then they branced off now they make amazing park building sims including Zoo Tycoon as well.  They are releasing a console version of Planet Coaster.  So who knows, maybe we'll see Planet Coaster on the Switch 2 (or Switch Pro)?  I'd love that!  I mean I know it's downgraded, but I kinda want to get Jurassic World Evolution for Switch instead of my Xbox One X just because of portability!

Honestly, no.  That was total news to me.  Over the years outside of an arcade cabinet or two I've found the JP games to be utter garbage so I ignore them, so even if I had seen it listed somewhere for like PC on Steam, I glossed right over it.  I never was much for the tycoon games other than the orignal roller coaster one as it felt a bit like Sim Theme Park as I was more into the Maxis brand stuff.  I'll keep this on my radar because if it has those SimTheme Park/Roller Coaster elements in play but around rebuilding Jurassic Park (successfully, not as a human food supply store for dinos) I'd enjoy that, and well if disasters was human feeding that would probably be amusing too. 😉   You nailed it, portability.  It's why I don't have CIV6 on PC.  I still don't have it, but struggle to decide between my iOS phone or the Switch for which could the more mindless ease of play vs playability issues.  Other large fish games like Doom I prefer on Switch as well (have it on Steam too.)

• 1 year later...

So Bloomberg says developers have leaked info on having a 4K dev kit for Switch.

Nintendo of Japan came out shortly after denying the news from Bloomberg saying it’s false. 

Someone’s lying. Is it Nintendo or Bloomberg?

I personally still believe in Switch Pro. Maybe 1 year from OLED. Obviously would not want people to know about 4K Switch when they are trying to sell this new OLED model. Because people would just wait for 4K and they won’t buy OLED 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-29/nintendo-switch-4k-developers-make-games-for-nonexistent-console

Edited by phart010
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, phart010 said:

So Bloomberg says developers have leaked info on having a 4K dev kit for Switch.

Nintendo of Japan came out shortly after denying the news from Bloomberg saying it’s false. 

Someone’s lying. Is it Nintendo or Bloomberg?

I personally still believe in Switch Pro. Maybe 1 year from OLED. Obviously would not want people to know about 4K Switch when they are trying to sell this new OLED model. Because people would just wait for 4K and they won’t buy OLED 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-29/nintendo-switch-4k-developers-make-games-for-nonexistent-console

I know it exists, knew it existed for a year now at least.  My brother works as a producer at a large third party that does all formats including mobile too.  Nintendo due to a combination of the virus hell screwing up production including the mass chip shortage, and because the Switch sales have not slacked, back burnered the system until the tide changes.  They don't want to look like Sony/MS with the endless pandering preorder mails and limited stock with pissed off customers, nor do they want to kill their handheld with the mass sales it gets monthly as that's like shooting yourself in the foot.

The Pro, Plus, Super, whatever you want to call it is real, it's setup, it can be developed for...but it's not, because there's no advantage to it.  Due to the ongoing issues, that's why the OLED version exists, easily sourced screens and existing parts they don't have shortages on.

"You guys put any stock into the "Switch Pro in 2020" rumors?"

• Nah. The Switch is still selling like hotcakes and MS and Sony have new consoles. It would be way too much effort to compete with those hype trains. It will definitely come in 2021 though.

"You guys put any stock into the "Switch Pro in 2021" rumors?"

• No way. The pandemic wrecked all supply chains. Also, remember when that ship got stuck in the canal for a week? That was crazy. Anyways, it will surely arrive in 2022.

"You guys put any stock into the "Switch Pro in 2022" rumors?"

• Absolutely not. With these skyscraper-sized ants savaging the wasteland and super hurricanes the size of Texas threatening the surviving colonies, who has time for games? In my opinion, 2023 is the time to strike.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/30/2021 at 1:16 PM, Tanooki said:

I know it exists, knew it existed for a year now at least.  My brother works as a producer at a large third party that does all formats including mobile too.  Nintendo due to a combination of the virus hell screwing up production including the mass chip shortage, and because the Switch sales have not slacked, back burnered the system until the tide changes.  They don't want to look like Sony/MS with the endless pandering preorder mails and limited stock with pissed off customers, nor do they want to kill their handheld with the mass sales it gets monthly as that's like shooting yourself in the foot.

The Pro, Plus, Super, whatever you want to call it is real, it's setup, it can be developed for...but it's not, because there's no advantage to it.  Due to the ongoing issues, that's why the OLED version exists, easily sourced screens and existing parts they don't have shortages on.

This has been my general assumption all along. I've mentioned before that I'm happily invested in Nintendo for a longer hold. "Smart money" analysts are doomsdaying them, but Nintendo is a very shrewed business company and they have a rabid following who o erthe past 25 years have come to agree that "if the games are fun, they will buy them." With the cost of Nintendo hardware likely only getting cheaper and plenty of accessible Switch titles, the Switch has a lot of life left, especially, with the chip shortages.  MS and Sony are the ones behind the 8 ball. Nintendo continues to do better than expected but each quarter, and that's because they know their business.

I agree, I think the idea of a Switch Pro makes sense in a more perfect world, but when you already can't make these things fast enough, upgrading hardware for the sake of upgrading hardware just doesn't make sense.

Now, if they could make a Pro model, and have 1m units manufactured and ready for launch, and could churn out 100k or so a month, they may consider it. But today, that's not an option so they will keep playing safe with cheap, profitable hardware.

@asmikace Hah yeah you know, I think it's more than a safe bet to ever make this call.  NEVER make a drinking game about Nintendo and rumors, alcohol poisoning to ensue shortly.  Better off playing russian roulette with a clip. 😄

@RH Yeah you get it. Sure they almost imploded tripling down on Gamecube tech, ruining it, and making nightmare OS for coding on WiiU, but outside of that, nothing really slammed them into the dirt that badly even out of first place periods.  They get it and have all along, especially on handhelds, use withered tech...the games sell more than the hardware, and it happens again and again.  Gameboy vs the others, DS vs the PSP, 3DS vs the Vita, Switch vs...(your pick) given the sales.  Games, easy to approach lean hardware, more than a fair enough price seems to work for them.

For a long time they called people saying sorry fanboys and apologists, but history has given them some creed when it came to Nintendo.  Their business model works, almost always works, despite all the pissing, whining, gamer nerd rage and equally disgusting media trolling and sucking up to competitors, that Nintendo isn't brain dead when it comes to pitching their wares.  Switch Pro had the lame virus and therefore chip shortages happened would not only have made sense but arrived likely by now, but it is what ti is.  If they put it out, they'd be pulling a Sony having PS4 best buy etc email blasts of go line up and be the one guy who wants it with the other 9 resellers looking to triple their money situation -- but worse, since it's Nintendo.  No reason to piss off your base and feed trolls.  Even if they could have 1M units sold, stretch that out globally you get what...1-3 a store and scalpers going ape shit... bad idea.  Put a 0 in there, they'd sell, maybe that would wreck the scalpers deservedly so.

This Pro when it does happen, imagine the gulf the PS4 vs Switch had, some games work, some don't, depending what can re-toll due to the wise tools/engines that scale well to smaller detailed models and lower power consumption.  You'll get another 5 year system which gets the modern indies, some modern games scaled, and then unique items too because the base sales would make game makers value it enough to be creative once more.